I will utterly fail at making something decent, but my arsenal will be: Xpander, SEM, Voyager RME, Taurus3, tr808, tr606, 4 slim phatties and a metric fuck-ton of effets pedals/modules. I cant wait to hear what people come up with, this ought to be fun.

NY NY US

I'm looking forward to writing tunes while away from home; the option of using unfamiliar gear and whatnot  will be fun. smile

Adelaide, South Australia

Hmm, lets see...

Aside from software like max/msp and ableton, I'm looking forward to employing a bunch of instruments and hardware throughout the year including:

- a reed organ
- guitars
- mandolin
- Boss dr-660 drum machine
- various stompboxes (DD7 delay, TR 2 tremolo, Fat Cat overdrive.
- Roland DEP-3 reverb rack
- Korg Monotone
- a very old irrational metronome
- Tascam 424 Portastudio
- contact mics
- existing field recordings
- 'found' cassettes
- various microphones and speaker arrays
- rooms
- circuits
- Arduino board
- a handful of iOS apps

AU

I'm going to make it a mission to use every piece of gear I have in the next X weeks!  It'll also mean I'll get around to fixing a lot of stuff and getting a few bits out of storage / find their whereabouts.  Will be something like:

Synths:
--------------------
- Yamaha DX7
- Sequencial Circuits Prophet 600
- Roland Juno 106 (need to fix oscillator)
- Roland MC202 (need to fix resonance slider)
- Chimera Synths BC16
- Kawai MP8
- Nord Stage EX (gotta give it back soon!)
- Yamaha Portasound ??? (something - PSU needs fixing)
- Casio VL1
- Open Source Rocket 8bit project (running cTrix firmware which I'm currently working on!!)

Sequencer workstations:
---------------------
- Roland MC505
- Roland MC303 (lol - worst piece of hardware I've ever owned)
- Yamaha QY70
- Zoom Sampletrak ST224
- PC or Mac running Reaper (Comercial licence and worth every cent!) w/ Tascam 8 i/o rack

Like tristan above me, I also have a Tascam 424, but I'm not sure I'm up for dealing with it ever again.  Tristan: if you need a Chrome cassette let me know.  I've got a few on standby!

Instruments:
--------------------
- LP Drumkit (if it's not broken - has been in storage for 11 years) - (can someone lend me cymbals plz?!)
- Electric guitars: Strat Copy  (needs new pickups / pickup toggle) //  odd Gibson copy from the 80's (needs new toggle switch / pots)
- Maton custom
- Jaden (??) electric acoustic someone gave me
- Yamaha bass (mad arse crackle - needs servicing)
- Samick Nylon Acoustic
- Various bits of percussion as I find them.

*** everything needs new strings and heads here!

Oldskool computers
--------------------
- Atari 2600 (my software)
- C64 (MASSISH)
- Spectravideo SVI318 (my software)
- Gameboy DMG (LSDJ)
- Amiga 500 / 1200 (Protracker, might try AHX)

VSTi
----

??? Never really used any (I only have FX, not instruments)  Anyone know a good one for orchestral that doesn't cost too much?

Also I'm open to suggestions for my guitar processing as my old multi FX is dead.

That's basically it.  Might crash a mates house to "borrow" her baby grand for a few tracks if I have time :-)

Last edited by cTrix (December 28, 2011 9:22 am)

Adelaide, South Australia
Tristan Louth-Robins wrote:

Hmm, lets see...

Aside from software like max/msp and ableton, I'm looking forward to employing a bunch of instruments and hardware throughout the year including:

- a reed organ
- guitars
- mandolin
- Boss dr-660 drum machine
- various stompboxes (DD7 delay, TR 2 tremolo, Fat Cat overdrive.
- Roland DEP-3 reverb rack
- Korg Monotone
- a very old irrational metronome
- Tascam 424 Portastudio
- contact mics
- existing field recordings
- 'found' cassettes
- various microphones and speaker arrays
- rooms
- circuits
- Arduino board
- a handful of iOS apps

Oh shit! I forgot the Casio CZ-101 synthesiser which is, imho the greatest cheapy phase-distortion wavetable synth known to man.

AU
Tristan Louth-Robins wrote:

the Casio CZ-101 synthesiser which is, imho the greatest cheapy phase-distortion wavetable synth known to man.

You lucky bugger!  Those little things sound great!  Pinnacle of 1980's and the pitch bend is bliss.

heart me some CZ

The Wisconsin

I don't know a whole ton about making music. I feel like I have some of the talent, but not all of the know-how. So, two of my goals are to find out how to make more professional music, and to find a better program to use than FL Studio's Demo. I'm afraid any good software will require money.

The Wisconsin
Dwight Davis wrote:

I don't know a whole ton about making music. I feel like I have some of the talent, but not all of the know-how. So, two of my goals are to find out how to make more professional music, and to find a better program to use than FL Studio's Demo. I'm afraid any good software will require money.

Sorry, wrong forum post. This should be on the goals thread. But, for weapons of choice, I would love to get a nice mic so I could record my guitar or my FRENCH HORN (HECK YEAH!)

The future

hmm.. probably FLStudio.. Moog Voyager.. Moog LP.. Roland Juno 106.. Elektron Machine Drum (maybe).. Many VST FTW

I JUST put in my order yesterday, for a new allen and heath mixer, and a fucking nord lead 3 rack. So those along with my 2 copies of lsdj and my Ms2000.

Ms2000 is a lovely synth.

Adelaide, Australia

I'll be using this as a testing/development lab for learning different trackers and chip hardware other than lsdj.

But expect possibly:
-lsdj
-famitracker
-trumpets and other brass insruments
-my kazoo
-a shit midi keyboard
-even just shit windows midi
-loops and samples
-garage band
-my ukelele
-my out of practice vocals
-whatever percussion from household objects as I can
-mario paint (not the composer, the real thing)

I'd also really love to learn to play a hang drum. Those things are damn awesome... if you can ever get your hands on one.

AU
Dwight Davis wrote:

FRENCH HORN (HECK YEAH!)

Wooooooo!!!  Yeah!!  Can't wait :-)

Lazerbeat wrote:

Ms2000 is a lovely synth.

yes it is. unfortunately looking to sell it, since the full keyboard version is a tad large to take to college

Granada, Spain.

Just my lsdj, i need to get better with it wink