Tacoma WA

This is pretty abstract.   But i would like to suggest we base week 7 on a futurist manifesto written in 1913 by Luigi Russolo called The Arts of Noises

[link]www.artype.de/Sammlung/pdf/russolo_noise.pdf[/lnk]

Read the manifesto is short only 16 pages.  Then decide go with a theme that's inspired from it.

This is meant to be totally subjective and open to your vision from his writings.

If you decide to do it put it'd be nice for you to explain what was your inspiration for it.

________________________________-

This is my idea.  What do you all think?

India

Thanks for sharing this very brilliant and intriguing, and at times confusing, piece of information. What I think is, a 100 years later, we see this manifesto already implemented and widely accepted; today especially in electronic music. Hence, daft punk going all back to acoustics. There'd be a thin line, very blurry too, that one must not cross in order to keep the listener interested. This is like advancing to a whole new level of experience and existence of vibrations. Sounds interesting. roll

I like it as the idea for next week's theme.

Melbourne, Australia

That's a profoundly ... profound bit of writing. Noise music came to real fruition in the 1950s; it's seeing a resurgence now in a new form. In general I think that is a fantastic idea for a theme. Unfortunately, so far, essentially all of my WBs have been informed at least indirectly, by that text.

Brasilia, Brazil

Great fire starter for the week!

York, UK

I'm in. I'm pretty inspired by the whole idea of the noises of "modern warfare" circa 1913. The Marinetti letter is particularly inspirational.

Pweter City

hospital for anemic sounds...a very interesting take on noise esp coming from a guy with no musical background. With these words in mind what holds the future of sound/music in our time and age?

South Australia

Love the idea of storms and hurricanes becoming part  of a composition. As said before, some people already use some of the practices in the manifesto in their music.

As for a theme, maybe nature's force or organic sound?

Melbourne, Australia
Mr Mort wrote:

hospital for anemic sounds...a very interesting take on noise esp coming from a guy with no musical background. With these words in mind what holds the future of sound/music in our time and age?

http://www.arts.rpi.edu/~century/MMC11/ … ilence.pdf

1937. In case you, and anyone else, hasn't read it.

Last edited by fc (February 8, 2014 2:52 am)

St Louis

i agree, this is a great idea for w7 theme

NL

So basically recording in public? Is that a proper way of summarizing it?

East Bay

This is fantastic, thank you for sharing! I'm definitely looking forward to next week now wink.

Santa Fe, NM

Great idea -- something relating to WWI could be a perfect subject (already working on it!)

Tacoma WA
Devieus wrote:

read the pdf its short.

then figure out a concept from it that's interesting.

its wide open.

St Louis

am not sure I am going to do this since last weeks piece I did was pretty similar to this idea... we'll see though, I didn't start my piece last week til thursday night I needed a break lol

NL
infradead wrote:
Devieus wrote:

read the pdf its short.

its wide open.

16 pages isn't short, 3 pages is short, one sentence is short, 16 pages is not short.

Tacoma WA
Devieus wrote:
infradead wrote:

read the pdf its short.

its wide open.

16 pages isn't short, 3 pages is short, one sentence is short, 16 pages is not short.

Ok it's not that long. 

Better?