Milwaukee, WI

This smile

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1054391

South Bend, Indiana

PC, FL Studio 20, Behringer Model D, OP-1, SP-404 SX and an old Panasonic tape recorder that I haven't messed with yet. All going through a Scarlett 18i20.

netherlands

ableton, lsdj, squier mustang and whatever else i find on the floor lying around

australia

Gameboy Micro running custom software called Looper Advance written by chr15m. The Gameboy plays loops and beats into a Raspberry Pi running a custom Pure Data mixer patch which adds FX that we designed by hand. We also use a piece of custom handheld hardware called Hardhat from bzzt.studio to play breakbeats. This is a hardware Impulse Tracker module and the IT files are procedurally generated. The Gameboy and the Hardhat both send a CV sync pulse which goes into the Raspberry Pi and keeps everything in time. A Commodore 64 keyboard is used to play synth sounds by hand and these are looped in time with the beats coming from the Gameboy Advance and Hardhat.

Finland

For weekly beats: Ableton 10 with headphones.
For my other productions: Ableton + what synths and stuff the studio i work in has.

Im not an audio engineer professionally, im another kind. I use FL studio and I manually vocoded a bassline with my phone speaker, stems, my mouth and an sm57 as my most recent trick. I have a couple guitars and a small midi kb and a handful of mics, a couple rokit5's and a 12 year old pair of hd280s.

Σ

mnapoleon wrote:

Gameboy Micro running custom software called Looper Advance written by chr15m. The Gameboy plays loops and beats into a Raspberry Pi running a custom Pure Data mixer patch which adds FX that we designed by hand. We also use a piece of custom handheld hardware called Hardhat from bzzt.studio to play breakbeats. This is a hardware Impulse Tracker module and the IT files are procedurally generated. The Gameboy and the Hardhat both send a CV sync pulse which goes into the Raspberry Pi and keeps everything in time. A Commodore 64 keyboard is used to play synth sounds by hand and these are looped in time with the beats coming from the Gameboy Advance and Hardhat.

Are the gameboy loops and beats from stock sound functionality? Interesting af. I saw this live once, iirc his name was Sievert.

Σ

Last edited by ngineer (January 8, 2020 2:58 am)

Chicago

Right now I'm using ableton, sending midi through usb to my TB-03, which sends/splits midi to a MidiNES and a GenMDM. But I just started using USB-C for my GenMDM instead of midi (after improvising at an out of town show where I forgot to bring my DIN to mini midi cable), which frees up 10 channels in my midi chain. Thinking of adding mGB and a volca FM (mostly to use the click sync with some pocket operator drum machines)

Chicago

Logic; mostly stock sounds/instruments supplemented with some Spitfire LABS instruments (dreeeeeamy) and a DX7 clone.
Arturia KeyStep
Alesis Micron
OP-Z
a handful of stringed instruments for a different tactile attack if needed (6 & 12 string guits; 4 & 6 string basses)
Beta58 + SM57 mics for most ambient recordings.
A lot of texturing is done with external pedals + noisemakers

Assumedly, there will be plenty of instrumental and compositional experimentation + flexibility!

NL

PyCharm IDE and LMMS.

The key is to program sounds that don't suck.

Linköping, Sweden

I'm on FL using mostly stock plugins (especially for FX). My go-tos for instruments are Sytrus, Harmor, Serum and some drum sample packs I bought on Splice ages ago. I sometimes throw in a Kontakt or two depending on the project.

Everything else is also pretty basic. Built-in soundcard, ATH M50x headphones and a Blue Yeti mic.

I usually run linux, but reboot into Windows for FL when making music. I'd like to learn a DAW that works on both, but I feel like 50% of being able to make music is being used to your DAW so I don't really wanna switch after all these years.
It works fine in Wine, but can't use Serum or Kontakt without it getting really crash-prone, so it's less hassle to just reboot. That way I also get into the mindset that "it's time to make music, damnit" so that I don't close FL down again after 3 minutes after getting stuck on something. smile

Chicago, Il

FL Studio, EZdrummer or FPC, GuitarRig5/Ignite Amps/Pulse IR. Random FL synths/tones if using synths/pads.

Portland, OR

I missed out on the first week for not paying attention, going to try to give the rest of the year a go -- with the following:
Laptop: Asus ROG quad core i7 16GB RAM, (2) 1TB SSDs, 17" screen. Windows 10.
DAW: FLStudio 20. I have Ableton 9 but I've not really taken to the workflow...
Controllers: Irijule Theoryboard, Novation Launchpad
Interface: Focusrite Clarett 8pre Thunderbolt 18x20
Hardware Synths: Ensoniq ASR-10 Sampler, Nord Lead 2, Alesis QSR rack synth
Gibson SG guitar, Dean bass, Moog Theremin, Audio Technica mic
Komplete 9 Ultimate - so tons of VSTs and plugins there.
I also have an iPad Pro that runs Korg Gadget, which I may use on some tracks.

Last edited by DataJanitor (January 10, 2020 7:59 pm)

St Louis

i used to do a lot of sequencing in FL Studio and some funking around with Ableton Live... but lately i'm using Reaper mostly to edit live performance on anything from a synth to a jazz band to psyche rock and also straight up ambient and experimental stuff.

MJP

Way too much stuff.

DAW is Digital Performer, but I wind up tracking a lot of things to 4-track cassette or a handheld recorder first then transferring them over for logistical reasons.

Current instruments that I'm focusing on include my Fender EOB strat, small eurorack modular system focused on sound processing, harpsichord, Sub37, ukelele. We'll see what I wind up using. I'm blessed and privileged to have access to a large palette from which I can draw.

The main deal is a notebook and pen, because I'm focusing on lyric songwriting.

Coastal Australia

Mostly modular synth but I also work in the box for more traditional film work.  I'm a guitarist/bassist by profession during the day and love utilising a heap of esoteric instruments for sound design work.