0F wrote:

omg please subscribe I'm so close to 1000 subscribers

post your channels here and I'll subscribe back

Happy to be #965!

Melbourne

heart

thanks!

Us

It has been a while since I had time to record a video! Started a new job and all and performed for the first time (and second time within a week).
I performed this track at Arcana in Durham. Unfortunately I only got a few grainy videos to show for it. So here is a simplified studio recording.

Last edited by Kohlhofer (March 7, 2018 8:21 pm)

Melbourne

Sounds lush! Some of the sounds remind me of what Autechre were getting out of their Nords in the mid 90s.

Here's my latest one, maxing out a single track on the Digitone..

Us

Are you using the reface dx here or is it just backdrop? Love that keyboard!

This week:

Melbourne

Lovely track! Nice lush sound design. That setup looks great btw; I like the placement of the three volcas at the top.

Kohlhofer wrote:

Are you using the reface dx here or is it just backdrop? Love that keyboard!

I only used the DX as a controller, in the tutorial video, which was recorded in the same session:

Melbourne

I'm late <_<

Finally got around to doing a tutorial vid (my original intention) rather than just a music video

Featuring last weeks track!

Us

Somehow messed up the recording this week and  only got a mono version sad
Can't go back or re-record since the patch is already gone. Such is the nature of live recording...

Us

This is great! I may have to come up with my own set of dice to direct my patches!

Skueue wrote:

I'm late <_<

Finally got around to doing a tutorial vid (my original intention) rather than just a music video

Featuring last weeks track!

Last edited by Kohlhofer (March 19, 2018 12:38 am)

Melbourne
Kohlhofer wrote:

This is great! I may have to come up with my own set of dice to direct my patches!

I'd love to hear what you come up with! the modular has always been an interesting instrument compositionally, as you're working a lot more on creating a 'system' to create a song moreso than doing traditional sequencing and songwriting

with that in mind, I would think that some sort of direction relating to the overall 'structure' of the patch would be the most potent form of inspiring new work

rhythmically: 16th note straight sequencing vs free running lfo clocks only vs krell patch syncronised clocks only vs clock divided rhythms only
harmonically: restrictions on voice or polyphony, specific directions to change keys mid track, (single voice polyphony can let you go crazy with fm for example, something you can't do when trying to harmonise multiple voices)
texturally: directions about thickness, loudness, and when to include/exclude textural content
formwise: juxtaposition between different sections (a section and b section leaning towards different 'genre') very specific buildup breakdown sequences

Melbourne
Kohlhofer wrote:

Somehow messed up the recording this week and  only got a mono version sad
Can't go back or re-record since the patch is already gone. Such is the nature of live recording...

Sounds sweet!

Here's a version of my weekly beat (plus a second piece, made up on the spot) from this week recorded in my garden today:

Us
Skueue wrote:
Kohlhofer wrote:

I'd love to hear what you come up with! the modular has always been an interesting instrument compositionally, as you're working a lot more on creating a 'system' to create a song moreso than doing traditional sequencing and songwriting

with that in mind, I would think that some sort of direction relating to the overall 'structure' of the patch would be the most potent form of inspiring new work

I once forked a project by Tom Whitwell and started customizing it to my needs. The idea is to describe an entire album worth of tracks with specific constraints and directions. I may need to revisit that and implement your suggestions. You can play with it here: https://codepen.io/kohlhofer/live/PmgwjB

Right now I have just enough time to make a track each week, though sad

Last edited by Kohlhofer (March 25, 2018 2:37 pm)

MKE

Been meaning to start putting up some videos of my WBs for a while. Is this something people like watching?

Melbourne

This weeks tracks is a live noise-techno jam with my puredata rig and a portabella

Us
Ipaghost wrote:

Been meaning to start putting up some videos of my WBs for a while. Is this something people like watching?

Can not speak for all the people but I enjoy it smile

Here is mine this week. 4 phase shifted LFOs at the helm.

Last edited by Kohlhofer (March 26, 2018 12:06 pm)