And what artist is your insp/motivation?
From the thirty minutes or so I've been lurking around these threads, I've heard mostly stuff in the dance/edm vein. This is my first time on wb so i'm curious as to what the most prevalent genre around here is :-) personally i like making R&B/hip-hop sounding stuff. and the main inspiration for the sound i go for is partynextdoor.

Melbourne, Australia

I am an "art music" composer (ie. classical); most of what I do would be considered "new music" or "experimental music".

vinpous wrote:

I am an "art music" composer (ie. classical); most of what I do would be considered "new music" or "experimental music".

i listened to Summer Evening on your soundcloud (had to creep, sorry) what did you use to make that pulsation/growl kind of whistle that took over at the end?

Melbourne, Australia
LiliannaAlejandro wrote:
vinpous wrote:

i listened to Summer Evening on your soundcloud (had to creep, sorry) what did you use to make that pulsation/growl kind of whistle that took over at the end?

The whole piece was made from a recording I did in my backyard using my phone, and a visual programming environment called Pure-Data. smile

NL

Literally everything, waltz, bolero, heavy metal, rock, beatbox; although this year I don't even know myself because it's procedurally generated. Then again, I didn't know at the start last time because the time before that I also did all the genres.

But the most prevalent genre is definitely electronic something or another.

Adelaide, Australia

I do the genre that comes out of my DAW at the end of the process!

Suppose it tends to be that dance/edm vein you spoke of.

Southern Oregon

I used to be strictly chipmusic (went by AWESOMECAT) and made house/dubstep using LSDJ.
I've moved away from that a little bit to other hardware though I still incorporate LSDJ into tracks from time to time.
I'd say lately I've been making mostly house/acid house/IDM and experimental music.
Since starting with LSDJ I've preferred composing without using a computer, so I'm hoping to create as many of my tracks as possible (except the final digital stereo recording) without using any DAW or computer if I can help it.
I'm planning on exploring techno, jungle, footwork, and more experimental genres over the course of the year.

In terms of artists I'm inspired by, I really like Simian Mobile Disco, Randomer, Richie Hawtin (Plastikman), Hatcha, and Ingram Marshall

I guess only about half of that was about the genre of music I make...

Last edited by brim.stone (January 9, 2016 4:37 am)

still figuring it out!

Chicago

I'm gonna use this to try to write more outside my usual business so WHO CARES

Madrid, Spain

I would love to call my particular kind of music "synth hop" without giving much seriousness to the label: downtempo beats more in line with nineties hip hop (that classic "boom bam") along with more ambient-ish/electronic melodies. Abstract/instrumental hip hop influenced music, much influenced by Boards of Canada, DJ Krush, Mux Mool, Dabrye, Om Unit...

Heavyly influenced by the chiptune and demo-music scene. Also some early 80's electro (for me that EDM electrohouse "throw your hands in the air" thing is... well, not worth the "electro" name. Not to offend anyone).

Anyway, I'm really interested in a lot of other genres, but that is what comes to me naturally. I'd love to come up magically with something like "Imitation of life" by R.E.M., for example, but I'm not much of a skilled pop composer.

LiliannaAlejandro wrote:

And what artist is your insp/motivation?
From the thirty minutes or so I've been lurking around these threads, I've heard mostly stuff in the dance/edm vein. This is my first time on wb so i'm curious as to what the most prevalent genre around here is :-)

I'd say most people around the last WeeklyBeats are more experimental that "EDM", which for a lot of people means just uptempo euphoric house/brostep from 2010-12 onwards and Steve Aoki throwing cakes at the audience... try maybe "IDM" and you'll be closer to it, IMHO smile

LiliannaAlejandro wrote:

personally i like making R&B/hip-hop sounding stuff. and the main inspiration for the sound i go for is partynextdoor.

I'll check them now since I don't know them (I'm uncool, I guess haha ). Curious about what it's your take on the genre. For me, interesting r'n'b right now is The Weeknd, JMSN, The Internet or How To Dress Well.

Newcastle - UK

from experiences, the style in which i think i compose is often starkly different from how it's perceived.

i'd like to consider what i do to be mostly lofi shoegazing noise.

germany

i call it techno.

Santa Fe, NM

The grey area between art-music and pop. Probably the result of being both insufficiently rigorous for art-music and not catchy enough for pop.

A very large area indeed.

Pittsburgh, PA

My main motivation tends to be "what do I want to hear right now?"  The answer might be "I want to hear something with this rhythm" or "I want to hear something with this sound" or "I want to set up a Pd/Max patch that does ________."  A lot of the time, that ends up manifesting as ambient, or trip-hop, or funk, but there's a lot of other stuff informing that, too--it might be something I hear in my head (sound art, IDM, post-rock, dub, jazz, etc.), but going through my mind, it comes out different.

Bowling Green, KY USA
home taping association wrote:

from experiences, the style in which i think i compose is often starkly different from how it's perceived.

I know exactly what you mean. I try to write a Fat Boys inspired fun hiphop thing and people say "ohhh nice that sounds like Marilyn Manson!" That's a real thing that has happened to me haha.

(usually i write in the noise/breakcore/drone realm of things)

Oklahoma City, OK, USA

I'm a folk, rock, country guy.