Glasgow, Scotland

Hi! I'm new and looking forward to this challenge kicking my ass. I was wondering if there's an option to stream tracks without allowing actual downloading? One of my motivations for doing this is to finish an album I've been dragging my heels on, and I'm in the process of working out how I'm going to distribute it. It would feel a bit weird to be allowing people to download it before I've done that. Naturally I don't expect a flood of downloads but I'd rather go through a personal decision-making process about how people access the album and downloads on here would feel like letting the horse bolt from the gate.....

Los Angeles

Well technically we cannot stop people from downloading it if they want it- even if we removed the button, it would still be accessible through the player urls. You could just remove each song after a day or something when it launches- and move it to soundcloud or something else.

Amsterdam, Netherlands

how about watermarks?

another idea: giving the option of either uploading a file or stating an external source, e.g. soundcloud or bandcamp ect. so it generates the player dynamically

Last edited by dreikelvin (January 5, 2014 11:34 pm)

Amsterdam, Netherlands

ok so here is what I am doing now:

1. upload a watermarked file (you can use voxengo's free beeper plugin: http://www.voxengo.com/product/beeper/)

2. link to the soundcloud file via bbcode (example: [ soundcloud ]http://soundcloud.com/matas/hobnotropic[ /soundcloud ] )

Los Angeles

But then your track wont play in our  own player, so its not the BEST solution, but external track link is another option. Also it wont work for the RSS feed for poscast etc.

Melbourne, Australia

I think that given the file size limit of 16mb per track, is it really such a bad thing to allow downloads even if you DO release an album? I can't imagine why anyone would release an album of 128kbit (or anything below 320kbit) mp3s these days when you can do lossless. There is a clear incentive therefor to obtain the album - which is curated, selected tracks rather than a weekly track - via whatever the distribution channel is rather than download an inferior quality copy here.

NL

I'd say take it like a man, you don't have to be here; this isn't supposed to be about the money, it's about growth.

Glasgow, Scotland

Thanks for the answer trash and the other input folks. I was late by 5 mins and my track uploaded but doesn't appear in the list.... perhaps that means it'll be my track next week automatically?
It was a rush job so this place is showing me my shortcomings already!
Week 2 in my sights.....

Glasgow, Scotland

Devious: I didn't say anything about money, and am not thinking about it.

Berlin
Beeheid wrote:

and iven if you did, it would be okay.
devious comment was just rude.

Montreal

Hi!

Most of my albums come from weeklybeats tracks. I never had any problems with the fact that it was available here before the "official" release.
The WB community is relatively small (that's why I like it) compare to other outlets (like SC for exemple). So unless you already have a big following I think you shouldn't worry too much.

Ross-154
Machine Gun Ibiza wrote:
Beeheid wrote:

and iven if you did, it would be okay.
devious comment was just rude.

100% agree

i don't know about anybody else but i cannot find any link to an mp3 file through the player, so it's not as easy as it is being portrayed. Taking the button away would clearly mean that the only way to get to the file is via some nerdy jiggery pokery that a lot of people, like me, have no idea how to do. So I say make it an option.

seems like this wasasked here before and was met with similar scorn.
https://weeklybeats.com/forums/topic/59 … -download/

Last edited by acid (February 21, 2018 9:40 pm)

I'm adding another vote to request adding an option to remove the Download button.

AU
SIDEEYEmusic wrote:

I'm adding another vote to request adding an option to remove the Download button.

About 10 mins before reading this I actually downloaded your 240107 tune. (just coincidental!)  My studio machine is offline; so download is how I listen on proper speakers via my main DAC. (track is amazing btw) But I can understand the request - and to be fair, there are tunes I'd have disabled DL for on in the past!

cTrix wrote:
SIDEEYEmusic wrote:

About 10 mins before reading this I actually downloaded your 240107 tune. (just coincidental!)  My studio machine is offline; so download is how I listen on proper speakers via my main DAC. (track is amazing btw) But I can understand the request - and to be fair, there are tunes I'd have disabled DL for on in the past!

Hah - well I still appreciate it Chris and thank you- hope you're doing well!

I guess for me the illusion of privacy is a strong motivation to keep going. I realize that if anyone *really* wants a track that they will still find a way to get it, though. But an option to create that extra step goes a long way.

Last edited by SIDEEYEmusic (January 8, 2024 6:49 pm)

St Louis
fc wrote:

I think that given the file size limit of 16mb per track, is it really such a bad thing to allow downloads even if you DO release an album? I can't imagine why anyone would release an album of 128kbit (or anything below 320kbit) mp3s these days when you can do lossless. There is a clear incentive therefor to obtain the album - which is curated, selected tracks rather than a weekly track - via whatever the distribution channel is rather than download an inferior quality copy here.

i can be at 320kbps if under around 6:40m