St Louis

just upload at low res, and remaster the track later so when it is finished the larger public will not only here it in high res but with a better mix and master hopefully. or you could put some kind of beep sound going through it so it's more of a preview and not usable. if you want it to be a mystery then don't debut it here.

Bumping this to the front page again -
"Allow Downloads" could be a checkbox option on upload

Last edited by SIDEEYEmusic (January 30, 2024 5:58 pm)

SIDEEYEmusic wrote:

Bumping this to the front page again -
"Allow Downloads" could be a checkbox option on upload

I can totally understand in an abstract way why this might be a desired feature. Unfortunately, even with such an option, downloading from the player is literally a keypress+rightclick away if you know a small something about browsers, so I can also understand why the dev wouldn't want to implement such a disable feature when it doesn't really stop anybody in a significant capacity and might advertise to some users a false sense of security that isn't there.

I think it's a sad thing for the community if people decide not to post because they want things to feel more private, but the reality of posting music on the internet is that it's pretty hard to have subsequent control over distribution. If we want to continue posting to the internet in general, I feel that it's a reality that we all need to find some peace with.

I'm not sure what your exact concern is regarding the ability to download (although maybe I missed it in reading your post), but perhaps if you explain a bit more the community can brainstorm an idea about how you might be able to address it in a more meaningful way than asking someone to implement a cosmetic fix.

I don't think it's entirely unfair to ask for user consent of allowing easy downloading of their uploads. There is already per-track user consent to comments and a plethora of licensing options that let's be real, no one here is losing sleep over deciding which one to use.

But like I said - I already understand that if someone *really* wants to download something, they obviously still can, but that statement can be applied anywhere. This also doesn't prevent any other music hosting site from offering the same option to disable downloads. Or some disclaimer to privacy either concerning the nature of the internet. I'm not asking for multi-stage file encryption here, but user choice.

I've always appreciated WeeklyBeats for the great interface/deadline and the ability to listen and comment on the community's work (again, if they allow it). I also don't think there is an ideological motive for Tim or anybody to *force* users to allow downloading when participating in WeeklyBeats either. Heck, that initial response in this thread is over a decade old at this point.

Last edited by SIDEEYEmusic (January 31, 2024 12:07 am)

It's a voluntary community site, so I'm not sure that I agree that anybody is being forced to do anything, but reading between the lines it seems like there isn't any specific underlying concern that you are interested in the non-dev community helping you to problem solve around, and that only the implementation of the requested option will make you fully comfortable. In that case, the only thing I can offer you is affirmation that you are in your right to politely ask for a feature and see if it happens. As a fellow human, I wish you good vibes and hope that your desires and the world find a more harmonious alignment.

Re: licenses, I actually quite appreciate the default inclusion of licenses on WeeklyBeats and explicit statement of licensing intent, since that is the main legally enforceable protection that art is afforded. From a community-sharing standpoint, it also makes it easier for me personally to remember to mark my stuff as CC-BY-SA so that people know they can remix my work under those terms or use my music in their other projects, without fear that I will come after them for violating copyright (otherwise I might forget to include a license statement, which would default it under US copyright law to Copyright/All rights reserved).

I'm honestly not trying to be antagonistic or hostile here but it just seems like you're typing a ton of words to speak on the behalf of a ten-year-old response by the devs.

I don't think I'm being too drastic in requesting to the developers that maybe we revisit this idea and I also genuinely don't believe that I'd be the only person who would like to see it added either. I don't know see why that opens the door for me to be lectured about how browsers work or "the nature of the internet," but go off.

Last edited by SIDEEYEmusic (January 31, 2024 7:35 pm)

Hey man, I'm really not trying to be antagonistic either, so I hope we're good. Like I said, as a fellow human, I wish you good vibes man. Have a good week.