AU
Aday wrote:

Ok, today is record day, see you all in just under T-Minus 2 days to go! smile

Hehe.... Aday - you're a bit keen mate to get going mate!  It starts in 2 days I'm pretty sure... (I don't think you can upload until then)

The goal of Weekly Beats is a little different (this time) for me.   I completed weekly beats in 2012 so I see it as mission accomplished!!  My goals back then were to make 52 quality tracks I was proud of and use every instrument I owned.  And I managed that.  But it caused a few problems like I was forever pulling all nighters (because of being a perfectionist and due time 10am monday morning).   WeeklyBeats burnt me out while I was on tour and put some huge pressures on relationships.  I probably took about 40 days off work and turned down a few jobs - but that 2012 in a nutshell - the year of the Weeklybeats.  So for you first timers, all I can say is GO HARD!  Push to the edge and make this your year.  It's an awesome thing to do, once.

So this year I'll do it while I can and while it's fun, but if I don't have time or if I have better things to do then I'll skip a week.  Or fart into a delay pedal and loop it for 60 seconds (I'm sure littlescale has already secretly done this and released it as an ambient album). 

3 basic aims this year:

- More guitar
- Pull drum kit out from storage at least once (been 8 years since it went in! I don't even know if it's still there)
- Do something featuring vocals (which terrifies me)

Good luck everyone!!  See you in 9 days :-)  (First week def the most exciting)

Last edited by cTrix (December 30, 2013 3:53 am)

Melbourne
cTrix wrote:

use every instrument I owned.

Oh, good call! I have a few that I haven't used in recordings yet so maybe I'll give this a try.

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah. But like 2012, I'll happily do "cop-out" tracks - some of which has some gold in them.

The Wisconsin

Well, I'm backing up from my goal, seeing my mic sucks, I don't have a good recording space (at all!), and I'm actually pretty darn awful at guitar. It's also kind of hard to record live onto FL. Therefore, I'm just gonna do my thing, possibly add in vocals on a few songs. I also may switch to every two weeks later on in the year, so as not to rush the art, and to instead take the time to make decent music. Idk when I'd switch though.

Orlando, FL

I'll be doing more SNES stuff in 7/8, 9/8, 11/8, 13/8 etc.

Los Angeles

What I was thinking that may be interesting is to try making some wb tracks (if not all) on linux- or to take the idea further- only opensource software.

Though I'm not sure if I'm going to, it's just been an idea of mine for quite some time. If anything else I've been thinking of using this opportunity to use renoise and release the track source files with each wb.

Gosford, Australia

actual effort across the board and not just the first three weeks
fix my jx3p and use it
more collaboration maybe

52 new songs.
To get way less precious with my Ableton stuff, and experiment with lots of different genres - but basically do it all in the box. I might throw in a couple of guitar jams though.
Maybe get myself a portable mic and work in some found sounds.

On a separate note - Is our first song due in 17 hours?? Or does the first week begin in 17 hours??

BEHIND YOU, CA

This will give me the opportunity to write some panty-droppers.

The future
Toby wrote:

52 new songs.
To get way less precious with my Ableton stuff, and experiment with lots of different genres - but basically do it all in the box. I might throw in a couple of guitar jams though.
Maybe get myself a portable mic and work in some found sounds.

On a separate note - Is our first song due in 17 hours?? Or does the first week begin in 17 hours??

the first week begins in 13 hours. smile

Chicago

dig deeper into noise
hone in my love for 15ish second tracks, make tracks that take as much work for me as "full length" songs do

Last edited by theghostservant (December 29, 2013 4:25 pm)

Medina, Ohio

I want to bust out my new Yamaha DX7 and write some jazz fusion pieces.

Saturn

I'm going to definitely post a lot more full-band recordings.

Brisbane

My goal is to actually participate this time haha. Last year I submitted two beats when I was travelling through india and the lack of internet/power screwed me over then when I got back to Australia I was a slack ass. So anyway it's good to be back. I just wanna push myself to finish stuff thats my main goal.

Melbourne, Australia

I'm gonna really try to not dip into my normal production this year. 52 WB EXCLUSIVE tracks. (as well as others for work). (this is probably going to kill me)

AU
David Vandal wrote:

I want to bust out my new Yamaha DX7 and write some jazz fusion pieces.

Sounds like fun David! I love my DX7 and can totally vouch for it being a blast of a unit to jam with, if a little hissy :-)  Make sure you have a fresh, non leaky battery in there to keep your custom instruments safe.  Looking forward to hearing what you do with it.