Just remember, never let writing music get in the way of your gear collecting problem.

Gear lust is a real problem. Everytime I see a cool effects unit i get the itch, and I feel like a crack head with a twitch. "c'mon baby, let me run stereo out through out that..."

Yeah, I have issues O_o

San Jose, CA

"Just remember, never let writing music get in the way of your gear collecting problem" -Lazerbeat

Holy shit, that's hilarious and true!!!!!

Ottawa, Ontario

Upstate New York

*drooldrooldrooldrool so much.....geeeaaar. uuuuhhhhh.

Adelaide, Australia

Just my computer and my home entertainment system, not worth a picture. xD
Need better speakers. D:

Upstate New York

i'm honestly amazed by the staggering amount of gear people have. i WISH. i have like....just random stuff lying around my house....a midi here, a portasound there, an accordion in the basement, ect.

chicago-/-il-/-us

well in my case, its built up over 13 years (had more at one point, but started to slim down to what i really actively use)... the entire coffin case in my setup is video gear

FL
NekoTheory wrote:

Just my computer and my home entertainment system, not worth a picture. xD
Need better speakers. D:

I will have to set up al my stuff and take a picture... though honestly, i just use my macbook to make tracks.

Bloomington, IN

Comfy chair plus Octatrack.  Soon I shall dominate the universe!

Adelaide, South Australia

@Scott; there's something very 'tortoise and the hare' about that sentence...

Upstate New York

@zeropass basically same here

Bloomington, IN

I'm most productive when I'm using the least amount of gear.  I've got the Elektron boxes, but there's so much to learn and experience with just the Octatrack.  Plus, it's way easier for me to gig with a single box.  Using only a sampler has been a stretch, since my main squeeze has been the Monomachine.  Sample-based compositions create open systems, where any sound is fair game to be Octratrack's next meal.  On the Monomachine, it's a closed ecosystem (at least with mine which doesn't accept user waveforms).  It's amazing how much play one can get out of a single sample.

Gigging is still something I'm in the process of working out, but I get the simplest set of tools = ease of writing. I get bogged down if I introduce too much at once in to my toolkit

Bloomington, IN

Exactly.  I have a weekly gig improvising music for a university dance group.  It's simple to tote the OT into the rehearsal space rather than have to set up a mixer, a synth, etc.  But I totally get doing that, since in a galaxy far far away I used to lug around an RM1x, Nord Modular, Yammy A3000, and a Mackie 1202.

I've been having some interesting discussions with other electronic artists I know about how electronic artists (or DJs) have a pretty free reign of deciding exactly how much work they need to do for their live sets. If you just turn up with an iPod and push play, you'll still be able to deliver the show sonically, but will it be visually interesting?... food for thought, especially since all the guys playing the recent Big Day Out's Boiler Room pretty much had their fancy setups just for show... or so it looked from the ground