Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

The Worm

By Plantrain on June 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Feeling a bit inspired by the minimalism of post punk, I have attempted to do a more energetic track this week.
Acoustic drums, Absynth bass and synths. The drums were done first, so I was stuck at a tempo that I'm not sure is the best for this kind of track.
But anyway it's fun to try something different.

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
June 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I actually quite like the tempo. It's a bit postrock, no?
Think it's quite awesome actually. Maybe my fave track of the week so far. Love that synth that you threw in. Makes it all sound a bit dystopian!

June 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Agreed, tempo sounds proper to me. More minimal than post-punk.

Just out of curiosity, what program were you using that the tempo couldn't have been sped up if you wanted?

June 20, 2016 8:46 pm
dj someguy wrote:

I actually quite like the tempo. It's a bit postrock, no?
Think it's quite awesome actually. Maybe my fave track of the week so far. Love that synth that you threw in. Makes it all sound a bit dystopian!

Jim Wood wrote:

Agreed, tempo sounds proper to me. More minimal than post-punk.

Just out of curiosity, what program were you using that the tempo couldn't have been sped up if you wanted?

Thank you so much! Listening back to it again now, I think I'm happy with the tempo. I guess working with the track without the opportunity to let it rest and then come back to it made me question it more than necessary.

I probably could have sped up the the drum take a bit with timestretch (except for the sampled rim click, the drums were recorded acoustic) but in the past I've never been really happy with the results if I'm going for a 'natural' sound.
I'm still using Cubase 5, so I probably could find software with better timestretch algorithms.

June 21, 2016 8:11 pm

The bass sounds nice and heavy in an appealing way and the tempo works great to my ears.  A nice minimalistic rock track for sure.

June 23, 2016 1:40 pm

June 24, 2016 9:40 am

This recording sounds great. Your arrangement is well ballanced. The track reminds me of a band called this heat.

June 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Damn good stuff
What comes towards us?

June 25, 2016 8:10 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

The bass sounds nice and heavy in an appealing way and the tempo works great to my ears.  A nice minimalistic rock track for sure.

Ipaghost wrote:

Q-Rosh wrote:

This recording sounds great. Your arrangement is well ballanced. The track reminds me of a band called this heat.

m2K7 wrote:

Damn good stuff
What comes towards us?

Thank you!
And extra thanks for the reminder to listen to This Heat again, a brilliant band!

June 26, 2016 6:42 am

Great track!  Kind of like a subdued Shellac.  smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up