Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Revelation

By orangedrink on February 25, 2018 8:51 pm

I have some exciting news.  I wrote this song on upright piano and I used my KNOWLEDGE OF MUSIC THEORY to write it!  I know the chords to the song are: A, C, D, E // A, G, ???, G // A, Am.  I know this because I know that the major scale is WWHWWWH and the minor scale is WHWWHWW and I created the chords using the first, third, and fifth notes from the scales.  The ??? chord is E, C, D - not exactly sure what that could would be called, but it felt "right" so I did it.  I think the ??? chord makes the entire piece since everything else "goes where it is supposed to".

I also learned how to use Rewire to record a Reason synth in Ableton.  I played all of the music on a MIDI keyboard except for the ending arpeggiator line.  I can also play this on piano using two hands AT THE SAME TIME.  OMG.  I learned a lot on this track!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
February 26, 2018 1:44 am

So much for people who claim knowing music theory hampers creativity. Sincere congratulations are in order!

February 26, 2018 3:21 am

Way to put that theory knowledge to work!  It's also awesome to learn new stuff and improve our skills.

February 27, 2018 11:06 pm

haha, go music theory! I'm a drummer, still learning more about the whole theory thing, a fun process. I follow what you wrote though, so that's cool. So many chords to put together! Good job putting it to good use sir. And two hands at same time, I'm jealous!

February 28, 2018 6:03 am

you are not overthinking this one bit.  turned out quite nice and calming. 

February 28, 2018 9:11 pm

ECD is the C9 while dropping a whole lot of notes and a couple of inversions in. You might get the same results if you add the G and B somewhere in there.

I know it's still early for you, but I do recommend looking for chords with numbers in their names, suspension chords and major 7 are some of my favorite.

Who knows, maybe next time you'll tackle signatures, grace notes or even key shifts.

March 4, 2018 3:05 am

Fanta - stic! The coolest church in the world playing this on the pipe organs, praising baby jesusssss! smile Also on Wyld Stallyns greatest hits!

March 4, 2018 10:58 pm

Very nice track! And good use of your knowledge of music theory.

April 8, 2018 8:13 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

So much for people who claim knowing music theory hampers creativity. Sincere congratulations are in order!

Thanks!  It feels good to face something that I've been afraid of for years, if not decades.

CosmicCairns wrote:

Way to put that theory knowledge to work!  It's also awesome to learn new stuff and improve our skills.

Agreed!

miraclemiles wrote:

haha, go music theory! I'm a drummer, still learning more about the whole theory thing, a fun process. I follow what you wrote though, so that's cool. So many chords to put together! Good job putting it to good use sir. And two hands at same time, I'm jealous!

Yeah, it's a whole new world out there for me smile

spry wrote:

you are not overthinking this one bit.  turned out quite nice and calming.

Thank you so much!

Devieus wrote:

ECD is the C9 while dropping a whole lot of notes and a couple of inversions in. You might get the same results if you add the G and B somewhere in there.

I know it's still early for you, but I do recommend looking for chords with numbers in their names, suspension chords and major 7 are some of my favorite.

Who knows, maybe next time you'll tackle signatures, grace notes or even key shifts.

Thank you for the pro tips!  I look forward to exploring those things, particularly in future WB pieces smile

Podling wrote:

Fanta - stic! The coolest church in the world playing this on the pipe organs, praising baby jesusssss! smile Also on Wyld Stallyns greatest hits!

LOL

Plantrain wrote:

Very nice track! And good use of your knowledge of music theory.

Thank you for listening, I really appreciate it!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up