Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Clap Back

By orangedrink on March 31, 2018 12:07 am

YUNG GRANDPA RETURNS


People don't come out of the closet because they feel unsafe, and that culture of unsafety is something we all actively or passively participate to build or destroy.


Each stanza ends with a shortened line, which represents the "awkward silence" that many of us live with when we hear something that's not right, but choose not to speak up out of self-preservation.  This song is dedicated to two friends of mine who are closeted and feel like they can't come out.  Props to myself for fitting "heteronormative" in a rap.  I think I could have mixed and mastered this better.  Thoughts on the mix?  Vocals too loud?  Did you hear the secret "clap back" hidden in the song?

Lyrics:
Yung Grandpa back again in another fit of rage
Somebody let the closeted tiger out the cage
Some of us came out and fought while other people stayed
But they fought a silent battle all the same


Why you laughing buddy?  Nobody said anything funny?
You think I'm not a real man and somehow you can take it from me?
Tell me who's the king that you replaced
Come over here and say that to my face


I wish that I could blame the kids but everyone knows it’s grown folks
Kids hear what they say when they make little gay jokes
You thought they’d ignore it but they didn’t
And that’s the exactly the behavior that they mimic

       
Until somebody gets hurt, they say it’s only fun and games
It’s a heteronormative sport i never want to play
When I try to speak up, they only say that i complain
Think before you speak is all i’m saying


This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
April 2, 2018 12:59 am

Great lyrics, well-delivered. Claps are a bit too loud (hurt my ears), otherwise good mix.

April 2, 2018 1:08 am

Crispy crispy drums and bad ass angry sounds! Taking Yung Grandpa to next level electronic sound. Great lyrics! Wait all week for some Yung Grandpa to drop... well worth it!

April 2, 2018 2:38 am

MMmmmmmm! Nice track as usual man. I'm getting more and more comfortable recording vocals now so I'm keen to throw some into next week's beat myself.

April 2, 2018 2:57 am

bringing the fire, this shit slaps! lyrics, flow, and production here are all on point, really dig those chippy elements in the upper range. also can't get enough of that first drop in, "Y U N G  - G R A N D  - P A"

April 2, 2018 7:08 am

Love your political hiphoptracks! Especially when it has a bit of that electro feel to it

April 2, 2018 10:32 am

100% OK with me.

April 3, 2018 12:03 am

The instrumentation on this is awesome.  The rap part works really well, too.  Nice job.

April 3, 2018 12:53 pm

Fierce, great drums and efx and give enough room for they vocal, strong lyrics

April 4, 2018 4:13 pm

I was very exited how you incorperate YUNG GRANDPA as the track started with that very electro feel....
Great job!
Again very good lyrics and very well performed!

April 5, 2018 3:36 am

Once again great lyrics and delivery, mix sounded good to me, vocals are clear and direct, I hate it when it’s hard to hear the lyrics in some hip hop, no problem with that here

April 5, 2018 5:20 am

Great lyrics and a very inteligent way of dealing with the subject. The crunchy electronic beat was perfect. Guess you'd dig both the tone and the sound of Jidenna's "Long live the Chief".

It's really nice to hear some real issues dealt in rap these days. Maybe I'm too old for the trap game but no rapper (in the mainstream, of course) is actuall "rappin' about something".

Now I leave you with some classic grandpas smile

April 5, 2018 7:02 pm

This is HOT! Really dig it, man!

April 5, 2018 8:34 pm

Cool electro-rap track, thoughtful well-delivered lyrics. Mix works very well.

April 6, 2018 5:28 am

Very well delivered on the rhyme and time.  kickin'.

April 7, 2018 7:49 am

I generally am not a great fan of rap music, but this kicks *** on many levels smile

April 8, 2018 9:10 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

Great lyrics, well-delivered. Claps are a bit too loud (hurt my ears), otherwise good mix.

Thanks for the note on the claps.  I might touch that up before public release.

NWSPR wrote:

Crispy crispy drums and bad ass angry sounds! Taking Yung Grandpa to next level electronic sound. Great lyrics! Wait all week for some Yung Grandpa to drop... well worth it!

KIDS LOVE YUNG GRANDPA

Tweaklab wrote:

MMmmmmmm! Nice track as usual man. I'm getting more and more comfortable recording vocals now so I'm keen to throw some into next week's beat myself.

Listening to your own voice always has this inherent awkwardness, but over time you get used to it!  Bring the vocals, my man!

Parallelis wrote:

bringing the fire, this shit slaps! lyrics, flow, and production here are all on point, really dig those chippy elements in the upper range. also can't get enough of that first drop in, "Y U N G  - G R A N D  - P A"

LOVE YOU heart  Thanks for the awesome remarks.

dj someguy wrote:

Love your political hiphoptracks! Especially when it has a bit of that electro feel to it

Thanks man!  Yeah, I love me some electro/chip

Q-Rosh wrote:

100% OK with me.

Thumbs up!

CosmicCairns wrote:

The instrumentation on this is awesome.  The rap part works really well, too.  Nice job.

Glad you liked it!  Thanks for listening

Robroy wrote:

Fierce, great drums and efx and give enough room for they vocal, strong lyrics

w00t - thanks!

theGuen wrote:

I was very exited how you incorperate YUNG GRANDPA as the track started with that very electro feel....
Great job!
Again very good lyrics and very well performed!

Yeah, I was hoping you'd think it was one kind of song, then turned into another - surprise!

Jason Nijjer wrote:

Once again great lyrics and delivery, mix sounded good to me, vocals are clear and direct, I hate it when it’s hard to hear the lyrics in some hip hop, no problem with that here

Yeah, Yung Grandpa is the anti-mumble rap smile  Thank you!


laguna wrote:

Great lyrics and a very inteligent way of dealing with the subject. The crunchy electronic beat was perfect. Guess you'd dig both the tone and the sound of Jidenna's "Long live the Chief".

It's really nice to hear some real issues dealt in rap these days. Maybe I'm too old for the trap game but no rapper (in the mainstream, of course) is actuall "rappin' about something".

Now I leave you with some classic grandpas smile

Your comment game is almost as godlike as your music game!  I'll have to check out that piece.  Thanks for the comment on the lyrics.  It's a little tough to talk about this stuff, but just trying to be respectable to everyone, while still expressing my true feelings.  It boggles my mind to see how much rap is STILL talking about drugs, guns, money, and women as sex objects.  If you are really into it, that's cool, but it's been done and there are so many other things that we could be doing.  Also MAN DEREK JACOBI LOOKS SO CUTE.  heart THOSE EYES heart

cfurrow wrote:

This is HOT! Really dig it, man!

Bring the FIRE!  Thanks!

Plantrain wrote:

Cool electro-rap track, thoughtful well-delivered lyrics. Mix works very well.

Thanks for the comment on the lyrics!

rdomain wrote:

Very well delivered on the rhyme and time.  kickin'.

Thanks rdomain!  I appreciate all your comments and attention.

Ashen Simian wrote:

I generally am not a great fan of rap music, but this kicks *** on many levels smile

Thank you!  Particularly meaningful to connect with someone that isn't that into rap music.  My dream has always been to broaden people's horizons through the sheer variety of content in Orange Drink. heart

April 11, 2018 12:26 am

Nice, like the vocal flow, digging the yung gramps this year. Cool idea to end each stanza with the shortened line. Beats is good, maybe could come down in intensity at times, not sure.

April 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Suhweet beat and love the gritty synth line.  YG would be cool on a RTJ track smile

April 22, 2018 2:40 am

ya young grandpa!  preach!

June 4, 2018 6:04 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

Nice, like the vocal flow, digging the yung gramps this year. Cool idea to end each stanza with the shortened line. Beats is good, maybe could come down in intensity at times, not sure.

Glad you got the shortened line thing, thank you!  I agree, the beat doesn't really have much variety, it just linearly ramps up.  Something I'll have to work on.

Tone Matrix wrote:

Suhweet beat and love the gritty synth line.  YG would be cool on a RTJ track smile

Woah, thank you for the extreme compliment!

kaedo sevaada wrote:

ya young grandpa!  preach!

BEST GIF EVER

July 7, 2018 12:34 am
orangedrink wrote:


Tell me who's the king that you replaced
Come over here and say that to my face

yikes heart

Glad you got the shortened line thing, thank you!  I agree, the beat doesn't really have much variety, it just linearly ramps up.  Something I'll have to work on.

Tone Matrix wrote:

Suhweet beat and love the gritty synth line.  YG would be cool on a RTJ track smile

Woah, thank you for the extreme compliment!

kaedo sevaada wrote:

ya young grandpa!  preach!

BEST GIF EVER


You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up