Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / NWSPR's music / Halloween 1984

Halloween 1984

By NWSPR on October 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Sticking with my late night movie inspirations, with this week is inspired by Halloween soundtracks of the 80s including stylistic shoutouts to John Carpenter, Michael Jackson and a dash of Gary Numan. The main bass is driven by the Moog Grandmother's arp and with additional layers of Moog sounds from the Behringer Model D.  Drum machines and orchestral percussion from Logic VSTs. Then added elements of halloween sounds (all open license for non commercial use) from YouTube.  The wolves howling are actual real wolves from a nature documentary clip.  They estimated 30 wolves howling according to the clip description. Nature can be scarier than the movies smile.

Hope you enjoy it, and Happy Halloween!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
October 26, 2020 1:13 am

Something about the 80's and Halloween goes really well together.  Maybe it's just nostalgia for my youth, but you definitely conjure up a specific time and place with this.  The wolves are a great touch.

October 26, 2020 3:32 am

Sweet, you totally nailed the 80s horror vibe one this one.  That bass is perfect, I love it.  The transition with it around 2:00 is awesome.  Very well done on that.

October 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Happy Halloween!
Or should I say...
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
...howl-oween?

October 26, 2020 7:44 pm

The bass is a grandiosely element and makes the track real big and fat. The synth melodies and samples are well chosen and executed and create a scary halloweeny atmo. And absolutely 80iesk.

October 27, 2020 2:09 pm

That bass arp is super addictive.  I kinda want it to loop as I drive down a dark leaf strewn road with gloves (that I do not own). Course I would not get out of the car with that many wolves lurking ab00t. That 80s stab is especially nostalgic.  Nice work!

October 28, 2020 4:17 am

This is awesome. It really sounds like one of these awesome John Carpenter soundtracks. The bass arp is great. Bonus points for the wolf pack!

October 29, 2020 9:39 am

very cool moroder vibe here. The vincent price sample is also well placed and appropriate smile. Not to mention the wolves! I must do sme catching up with your recent input... I have been heavily distracted from WB during the last month or so.

October 31, 2020 4:18 pm

One banging Halloween party.

October 31, 2020 6:35 pm

electrifying! this is such a nice treat for halloween

November 1, 2020 4:12 pm

OOOooooooo. Really cool bass jive to this track. You captured the feel perfectly.

November 7, 2020 5:47 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

Something about the 80's and Halloween goes really well together.  Maybe it's just nostalgia for my youth, but you definitely conjure up a specific time and place with this.  The wolves are a great touch.

Thanks! 80s were a great time for the next wave metal bands and horror films. Both had a revival but synthy new wave gets most of the attention.

Chrisfoo wrote:

Sweet, you totally nailed the 80s horror vibe one this one.  That bass is perfect, I love it.  The transition with it around 2:00 is awesome.  Very well done on that.


It's all in the classic Moog arps.  I was just along for the ride. smile

Reilly Farrell wrote:

Happy Halloween!
Or should I say...
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
...howl-oween?

Thanks! Boo back at you!

Q-Rosh wrote:

The bass is a grandiosely element and makes the track real big and fat. The synth melodies and samples are well chosen and executed and create a scary halloweeny atmo. And absolutely 80iesk.


Thanks for checking it out! The Moog very much as a fat 80s sound that's fun to unleash!

Tone Matrix wrote:

That bass arp is super addictive.  I kinda want it to loop as I drive down a dark leaf strewn road with gloves (that I do not own). Course I would not get out of the car with that many wolves lurking ab00t. That 80s stab is especially nostalgic.  Nice work!


Thanks! Sometimes I just put the Moog Grandmother arp on and select lock while I do house work. And sometimes my wife tells me to get the hell out.  Not everyone fully appreciates a good arp line : (

Kedbreak136 wrote:

This is awesome. It really sounds like one of these awesome John Carpenter soundtracks. The bass arp is great. Bonus points for the wolf pack!


Yeah, I raised them from wolf pups since Weekly Beats 2012 smile Thanks for listening!

Ashen Simian wrote:

very cool moroder vibe here. The vincent price sample is also well placed and appropriate smile. Not to mention the wolves! I must do sme catching up with your recent input... I have been heavily distracted from WB during the last month or so.

Ah, you're so right.  I'm channeling Moroder again and I didn't realize it!Thanks!

Devieus wrote:

One banging Halloween party.


I let the dogs out. It was me all along. Thanks!

franky wrote:

electrifying! this is such a nice treat for halloween


And a few tricks from the Moog Grandmother, my fav synth. Thanks!

Anon_Buster wrote:

OOOooooooo. Really cool bass jive to this track. You captured the feel perfectly.

Thanks!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up