Adelaide, Australia

Hi all! I thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss in real time our musical escapades during the week. There was an IRC channel back in 2012 but it seemed to have died during that year.

To that end, I have created a Discord server for us. You can join here!

Discord is chat program that combines the best of Skype, IRC and Teamspeak/Mumble/Ventrilo. The intent is to use the text chat functions but there is voice chat available too. It can be accessed directly from the browser with or without a Discord account, and if you sign up (for free) you can also access the desktop and mobile clients.

Please note that when you join the first time you'll automatically be connected to the voice server. Just hit the disconnect button and it will remember that for next time, assuming you created an account.

Hope to see you there!

Note: I have no affiliation with Discord and the server is hosted by Discord itself, not me. I'm also more than happy to turn over administrative privileges to the WeeklyBeats staff.

Last edited by Judgement Act (January 6, 2016 9:37 am)

Pittsburgh, PA

Awesome--thanks for setting that up!

germany

jep.

NL

I doubt the administration of this place should be the one managing the channel, Trash80 in particular seems to vanish by around week 5. So welcome to the staff, I suppose.

AU
Devieus wrote:

....Trash80 in particular seems to vanish by around week 5....

Trash80 is a busy man!

I just hope he makes a follow up to Dolbears Law in 2016.

Adelaide, Australia

Got a decent amount of people hanging about which is great! Don't be shy, I don't think anyone bites!

I've set up a read only #aliases channel for those of us that have a different name on Discord. Since names are global across servers it's not reasonable to expect people to change it just for the WeeklyBeats server, but it would be great to have a directory to know if the creator of a track or liked or something was available on Discord.

To that end, if your name differs on Discord to what it is here, please let me know either in this thread or with an @SparkyRailgun on Discord so I can add you to the directory.

adelaide

good stuff. thx for setting this up!

Adelaide, Australia

Hey all! Discord has been running well, although there's not nearly as many of you on there as there should be!

I've had JerwuQu, one of our very own, set up his Discord bot to create what we're calling 'WB Radio'. This is essentially a nonstop playlist of the week's music broadcasted via a Discord voice channel. Discord's voice quality is not brilliant, but I think it's a cool way to do some communal listening.

The wb-radio voice chat mutes all connecting clients to preserve the holy beats, the #wb-radio chat channel is designed to accommodate any discussion, as well as the use of the !wb-skip command. I do highly recommend listening to whatever plays, come what may!

This launches prior to the release of the Week 4 tracks, if you jump on and notice it polaying week 3 tracks, please mention @jerwuQu and he will update it.

Anyway, it's all very new so please leave feedback in the #wb-radio channel or here and let us know what you think. It's definitely not perfect. Long term I'd like to set up a proper web radio broadcast (with those tracks that allow it) with all weeks shuffled, but I've still got some things to sort out with that, namely what would set it apart from just listening to the music here on the site. Anyway, enjoy!

EDIT: Posted right before I leave for college, sorry for bad sentences or missed junk.

Last edited by Judgement Act (January 31, 2016 8:18 pm)

Adelaide, Australia

Just a reminder that this discord is still up even though it's been dead for a year! The radio bot is long gone, but the people remain. Come on down and make the conversation more frequent than once a quarter!

Los Angeles

I stickied the topic. Should probably add it as an icon to the site.

Adelaide, Australia

Just a reminder for all you forum dwellers that the Discord is still up and running! It goes pretty quite during the off year, but usually popping off while WeeklyBeats is on!

Adelaide, Australia

Yet another bump for anyone on the forum who isn't on the Discord. Come and hang out!

Cincinnati, Ohio

oh, neat cool

Edmond, Oklahoma
Judgement Act wrote:

Yet another bump for anyone on the forum who isn't on the Discord. Come and hang out!

I just signed up.

Los Angeles, CA
Judgement Act wrote:

I just tried but it doesnt seem to work

"Messages failed to load"

St Louis

i find the discord format confusing but i'll try, it just seems like a bunch of random posts with no topics like a bbs does.