St Louis

i pretty much am just using an old version of sony video editor suite (came with soundforge) and windows movie maker, along with some other program that came with a cheap video converter from time to time.

i've tried resolume but didn't like how it was set up. anything a little more simpler or straightforward that can do crazy effects? also am looking for the best free video editor.

Melbourne, Australia

Check out ArKaos GrandVJ and arkaos 3.0 (both are completely different UI's)
But very simple to use (too simple!)

I use Resolume mostly for performance clips, but I do my editing in Premiere Pro 6

ArKaos tends to like most file formats without much need for conversions, where as Resolume works best when encoded to Quicktime or DXV.

Check out WinFF and MPEGSteamclip and vdubmod to convert/cut/encode/etc files.
Those are usually my go-to's for file conversions (All Freeware)

Last edited by Aday (July 14, 2014 9:00 am)

NL

Best+free video editor just might be Blender actually, word to the wise, it's definitely not an easy to use program. Alternatively, you could try using VSDC, also a free editor, which might be better depending on what you're looking for.

Last edited by Devieus (July 14, 2014 10:13 am)

St Louis
Aday wrote:

Check out ArKaos GrandVJ and arkaos 3.0 (both are completely different UI's)
But very simple to use (too simple!)

I use Resolume mostly for performance clips, but I do my editing in Premiere Pro 6

ArKaos tends to like most file formats without much need for conversions, where as Resolume works best when encoded to Quicktime or DXV.

Check out WinFF and MPEGSteamclip and vdubmod to convert/cut/encode/etc files.
Those are usually my go-to's for file conversions (All Freeware)

many thanks! that is a very helpful list. will for sure check out the arkaos stuff.

St Louis
Devieus wrote:

Best+free video editor just might be Blender actually, word to the wise, it's definitely not an easy to use program. Alternatively, you could try using VSDC, also a free editor, which might be better depending on what you're looking for.

not sure, but i think i downloaded blender once and was a bit stymied. i'll check out VSDC though, many thanks!

NL
george bowles wrote:
Devieus wrote:

not sure, but i think i downloaded blender once and was a bit stymied. i'll check out VSDC though, many thanks!

I can imagine, it takes a while getting used to Blender, but given some time investment the dopesheet and curve editor can really do some neat things.