Melbourne, Australia

Hi,

First, so many congratulations to all of the people who seem to have an inexhaustible supply of animated gifs for comments. But I must confess that I'm a bit old and am out of touch with the young ones these days. So I was hoping someone could explain the animated gif movement to me, in gifs (or text)?

Where does it originate? What does it mean?

Thanks.

The future
vinpous wrote:

Hi,

First, so many congratulations to all of the people who seem to have an inexhaustible supply of animated gifs for comments. But I must confess that I'm a bit old and am out of touch with the young ones these days. So I was hoping someone could explain the animated gif movement to me, in gifs (or text)?

Where does it originate? What does it mean?

Thanks.

Like everything else, they originate from cats

Melbourne, Australia

Fuckin' cheeseburgers.

CA, USA

I think Tumblr is kind of gif central, which is like Twitter and Flickr combined only more gifs, kinda sorta.

Tumblrs gone through some changes like Twitter and Flickr have changed layout and added features over the years but, years ago Tumbler was sort of the place to be if you were into micro blogging and gif collecting / making. It was like Facebook for graphic designers, maby? Its hard to explain but eventually more and more people on Tumblr came over to Twitter as it gained momentum.

I never had a Tumblr page and I didn't really learn much about it till a couple years ago, I had friends that used it but they never really talked about it and I was pretty much wrapped up in the audio world side of things. But since more and more people started double posting their gif/blogs to both Tumblr and Twitter I started discovering some really gifted artists like http://kidmograph.tumblr.com/ and http://maxcapacity.tumblr.com/

NL

Also imgur/reddit, who joke about tumblrgifs for not needing to be gifs at all because one frame would be enough.

CK wrote:

I started discovering some really gifted artists

Heheheheh

Melbourne, Australia

So it does come from a kind of "sub-culture" associated with the internet then? Thanks for all the infos guys.

PNW, USA

There are no sub cultures. Only internet based groups of like minded people.

I have a question. What makes the code for the gif you guys are dropping in? Back in the myspace days I used Imageshack. Is that still legit?

Melbourne, Australia

Before I disregard what you said as tautological, care to elaborate on your statement?

MKE

The future

^^

St Louis

hmmm

France

giphy.com

Schwerin I'm afraid

also... could somebody explain to me how to post pics or gifs in bbc? can't seem to do it. thanks!

MJP
[img]pictureurl.gif[/img]
Schwerin I'm afraid