Adelaide, Australia

They can't rewrite this site because people are joining to try the challenge for 2013. All that really needs to happen is the weeks and submissions reset (and archived?) and the name changed to WeeklyBeats2013.

If we want to do Monthly EPs then we need to have an offshoot site for that. We've left it quite late obviously, but if we have the website running before the first submission date (Jan 31st) then we're allowed some delay time. The alternative there of course is to just make a group on Facebook and have our submissions there. I don't like that idea because I don't like Facebook, but it will absolutely work if none of us want to make a website.

Given it was my idea to try a Monthly EP, I'm more than happy to contribute to the creation of this spin-off site - I'm just not very good at making websites. The website itself can just be a crude Wordpress site with an upload function for people to submit their EP. On the last day of every month the EPs are released as a post on the main page. Easy enough. Obviously the nature of the website will be as good as those contributing to the back end, so if it's just me doing it don't expecting anything better than a blog wink.

I do like the idea enough to:
a) Just do it myself and post my results to my own Website
b) Join a Facebook group if more people want to do it as well, but not want to make a sister-site to this.

The Wisconsin

What if we keep the same site up next year, maybe with some changes to design or something, and just make it better? People are talking about posting biweekly and monthly, so make an option for your account to be a weekly, biweekly, or monthly account. When you make an EP you could post it on the forums and in your song descriptions still. Maybe some sort of system could happen where you could flag a song as "part of an EP", and clicking this flag would directly link you to a user-set EP hyperlink.

Really, I think many people like the weekly concept. We don't wanna force these people away from it. But, we could still have the option of changing our workflows. Also, I love the name "Weekly Beats", I don't think we should change that.

The Wisconsin

Nice ideas Thursdaybloom. I wrote my post before I noticed yours, but I would probably join your website as well, as that sounds fun. I don't know who would do the site though, as I can only wrap my head around basic HTML.

Adelaide, Australia

Well I just posted this to my Facebook about 5 minutes ago:

Music Makers,

Who would participate in a Monthly EPs spin-off to WeeklyBeats for 2013?

The concept is basically the same, but there's no rush to have one song done every week. You'd have 28-31 days to finish 3 or 4 songs with cover art etc. The emphasis with Monthly EPs would be more on having production values up to a standard you're happy releasing and less on constant creative prototyping.

There's a discussion about this happening on the WeeklyBeats forum and if there's enough interest on trying a 3-4 track EP each calendar month then a spin-off site will be made in time for the first submission.

I'm now going to tag people in the comments who I think/hope might be interested.

And have already gained 3 participants. I've definitely got myself in too deep here because it looks like I might have to think about making a website. Dig my hole deeper and spread the word to your friends too if you want haha. Today can be 'spread the message' day and tomorrow can be 'freak out over how the fuck I'm going to do this' day. Hopefully there's some ubercool people here who are keen enough on the idea to not only participate but help make a nice enough site smile.

Adelaide, Australia

So just an update:

I have 5 people interested (with a 6th pending) just from my Facebook friends.

I great idea mentioned is to use BandCamp for the releases. If you want to participate then you sign up to BandCamp (free) and upload your release there on the last day of every month. We can then have a Monthly EP website as a blog which acts a digest and publishes every release as a post. With BandCamp you can embed a release into a post, so instead of travelling to every artists BC page you'd be able to access all of the participants releases from our community page in the one go. It's an idea I like a lot.

Melbourne, Australia

I really like the digest page idea. The same digest can be distributed via email, and if done with a bulletinboard/blog style, commenting can still be done.

Riverside, CA
Thursdaybloom wrote:

(and archived?)

If for some reason the site goes y2k on us and gets rid of all the songs, I have the torrents that were made every week.
However, because the torrent script was always ran two hours after the songs went up, it likely missed the stragglers who had late uploads.
I was writing another script right now that would basically remake all the weeks' zip files and one master torrent, but the RSS file (which my script relies on) doesn't go back that far ;_;

St Louis

yeah some kind of page to hang out on after this is done would be really cool... whether it's a facebook group or whatever. plenty of other sites to upload stuff to.

The future
george bowles wrote:

yeah some kind of page to hang out on after this is done would be really cool... whether it's a facebook group or whatever. plenty of other sites to upload stuff to.

Alright, since no one else appears to have done it.. i created a FB group and invited a bunch of people.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/516885678344591/

Melbourne, Australia

I'd like to thanks ALL THE Weeklybeats 2012... I started late in the year, But learned a lot about my own workflow.

I missed many weeks here and there, but it definitely helped!
(I would not be the same without this site)

Personal thanks to:
Phil Harmonic on a few occasions where I missed the deadline by like 1 minute (I stopped doing that eventually! ermahgerd!)

Sharing pain with people in similar situations rushing/panicking and then reclaiming zen over their creations.

So I hope there's a weeklybeats 2013, in some form or another.
I'm keen to try and get it down for every week.. (Or every month!?) (or every fortnight!) but definitely want to keep a pattern of consistency up from the very *start* ..

I noticed a few of you might not be up for WeeklyBeats 2013 so I'd like to thank everyone who made this site what it is, It's been a nightmare and a dream at the same time.. and getting a comment on a track was often the highlight of my day hahah..
especially if it was a track i hated in the first place!!

I'm going to hit refresh on 1/1/2013 00:00 -- Hope there's somthing here wink
I think i'm looking forward to 2013 in many ways... Hope to keep that idea up.
I'm too obsessed with numbers and dates :\ (it's a bit of a curse!)

See you on the internet!!

Adelaide, Australia

Aday
Melbourne, Australia

You're coming to the WB part right??

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah smile -- 5th yeah?
I don't have a facebook but I got Derris-Kharlan number, i'm definitely gonna pop by!

george bowles wrote:

i joined, so you guys can e stalk me lol

Saskatchewan, Canada

joined that fb group. Also would be up for monthlybeats at least until shit starts to get crazy, gunna be starting college in the coming year

Melbourne, Australia

Drumur: I hope you're studying music!

Saskatchewan, Canada

lol indeed i will be