AU

So - now the year is ticking on and many of us are back at work, and in Australia, still celebrating many a summer drink on the weekend, it turns out that a tune a week takes a little more effort than realized! (for some of us)

How did things fare this week?  As well as creative - I'm curious about the time management factor.  I ultimately started work on a tune mid week but came back to finish it on Sunday to realize I wasn't in the same headspace.  Notes were just not flowing.  So I started from scratch on a new tune with totally different vibe. But then didn't have time to finish it / fix problems!  I'm finding it monumentally hard to come back to a track and work on it in the same week.

Track wise, I'm about 50% happy with the result. Parts needed redoing majorly - especially the drums and bass.  But everything is recorded as waveform and neither synth has the ability to save patches (should have taken photos of the knobs!).  I'd add a bridge section and more structure too.  If I think of it simply as a recording / engineering test then I'm pretty happy - especially seeing most of it was played on the tiny 202 membrane key pads.  But it's not something I'd ever consider releasing in it's current state!!  I'm considering 2013 for "weekly fix up" where I go back over all this years tunes and fix the problems.

Ottawa, Ontario

i didn't have the time to make a full song arrangement this week, with my new job i've started. next week however i'll have a full, mixed and mastered track. for the time being i have recorded a song i made on guitar.

Kansas City, MO

I'm in the midwestern US where it is pretty solid wintertime. I WANT A WEEKEND SUMMER DRINK. Man.

I started doing a drawing/painting a week as well. I just want to keep up the momentum. Make a new song every week and just stick with it and make it as good as I can. Experimenting!

chicago-/-il-/-us

mine wasnt my best either, just short of time to work on it and when i got a chance found out the samples i was going to use weren't on the sd card in my caanoo... so it became whatever was closest to what i intended, but with completely different samples hmm

Helsinki, Finland

I messed up my program save and lost the first version of my track and had to rewrite it. But it being mostly just livejam I think I pulled it off ok. Had tons of fun because I didnt do any multitracking or serious mixing, just banged a beat.

Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm actually finding my stride. Its getting a little less stressful to come up with something new and suspend my self doubt in favour of actually getting something done.

Adelaide, Australia

I tend to take less than 12 hours all up to finish a song anyway, so it's not a huge deal for me. xD
Pro's might hear the quality difference between something that took all week and mine, but I can't, so meh. tongue

I didn't put together a very high quality work this week.  I actually got a couple of modules earlier in the week, so I was looking forward to just doing some simple sequencing, but ended up just recording a bunch of miscellaneous sequences that were more or less in the same key, and the arranged them to actually make a song.

But it just goes to show that more gear can have an inversely proportional relationship to the quality of music produced...

St Louis

I wasn't too happy with my submission this week, since I kinda surprised myself the first two weeks. that said it was very improvisational and I guess it didn't turn out horrid. mainly the recording sounded like cardboard or something. mic placement can be a *@%&^

Sacramento, CA

now, I am starting to have fun. making odd noisey style music. I made a lot of messing with sound this week and my final is a bit more raunchy than usual. So much fun.

Gosford, Australia

I have heaps of spare time until Uni starts, but spare time gets doled out amongst friends and family and being DEATHLY SICK HALF THE WEEK URGH.

Adelaide, South Australia

I had to quicken my pace a bit this week - the concept came early on, but the execution/mix was finished over the last 48 hours.  This week should be a bit more flexible, despite the punishing summer heat that's been bearing down on little Adelaide town over the past few days...and the next few days.  Overnight minimum temperature of 28.5 C ...

Tacoma WA

had all kinds of shit go down this week.  mostly concerning a snow storm followed by an ice storm and all the joys of home ownership ( oh shit is that my tree in your yard? )

so i just pumped out a quick noodle on my modular with a patch i'd been playing with for a few days..

i'm not terribly stoked by it but its not that bad..

adelaide

I am happy with mine, though I left it pretty late.

Tristan: This heat put a dent in the amount of time / energy I was willing to put into my track.

Philadelphia

I like how i made mine, i don't think what i actually came out with was very good. but it was definitely a direction i want to explore more of.

I really only made the song i did today in about as long as the song itself is. I really want to start figuring out better ways of arranging things once they've been recorded

Melbourne, Australia

I spent a fair bit of time on mine, particularly just bug-fixing. But I'm happy with the result and I learnt a lot about Nodal during the last three weeks. I'm still not back at work (and really don't work that much anyway), but I've been doing some other music things and applying for commissions and other such things. Also been playing bass a lot. Anyway, the problem I am having now is "where to from here?"; I achieved what I wanted from the first three weeks, and have an idea in mind for this week, but the execution for it becomes a lot more challenging. Ah well, that's the fun of it!