Adelaide, South Australia

Now that I'm up to 18 weeks (just uploaded) I realised that I'm working up to my previous best effort with Weekly Beats, which was back in 2014 with 21 weeks. In the past (2012, 2014, 2016) I've found that I can lose momentum pretty quickly - often getting distracted/life gets too busy - and that sticks the knife in it for another couple of years. Maybe sticking to a theme each month has kept things going for me. I think it's helped.

Keen to hear how other are going (have gone) and what the motivators are.

Thoughts?

Melbourne

I've missed one week so far. My motivation to submit something here is waning somewhat, as my youtube channel has kinda replaced this as a push for regular creativity (though, that's every two weeks rather than every week). Still, I'll see how long I can keep it up for..

Upstate New York

Yeah I've missed only week 10 so far. This year definitely takes the cake for most amount of tracks I've done, although in 2012 i posted sporadically all the way up to Week 38 or something. I have a new job starting next week though, so that might "stick a knife" in my consistency thus far sad

Montreal

My friend Pocaille encouraged me to do Weekly Beats as an opportunity to learn to compose and produce. I didn't think I'd get very far, but haven't missed a week yet! It's been a tremendous learning experience, had I known that it was this fun to create my own music, I'd have started earlier. There's a bunch of things I want to explore before year's end; do more chiptune, a tribute song for my brother's gore movie Termitator, compose something for my singer friend Pola to do vocals on, attempt covers/remixes of my friend's tracks, etc. Listening to the wonderful tracks everyone creates week after week is also a big source of inspiration and motivation, there's some incredibly talented people on here!

Us

I have done it in 2016 all the way through. This year has been close a few times (changed jobs, work travel, etc) but so far so good. I appreciate the forcing function.

Last edited by Kohlhofer (May 9, 2018 11:52 am)

Melbourne

Also, I have to say, even though we're only a few months in, I kinda forgot about some of the tracks from earlier in the year. I was going through some WAVs the other day and came across my week 3 track.. when I'm constantly making stuff every week I kinda just move on to the next thing; not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though. Maybe I should just compile all of the similar sounding weeklybeats tracks into one release at the end of the year..

Adelaide, South Australia

Great feedback. Yeah, I've found myself going back to my earlier 2018 stuff as well. Given the first half of this year is pretty quiet for me, a lot of what I've been doing on here is trying out things (either fresh or revisiting) to see if it might suit a particular project down the line. I've started working on a new album and I've found that some of the stuff I did back in Jan/Feb fits the brief, and I'm looking forward to going back to it and tweaking things.

NL

My streak is still ongoing from 2012 on.

0F wrote:

Also, I have to say, even though we're only a few months in, I kinda forgot about some of the tracks from earlier in the year. I was going through some WAVs the other day and came across my week 3 track.. when I'm constantly making stuff every week I kinda just move on to the next thing; not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though. Maybe I should just compile all of the similar sounding weeklybeats tracks into one release at the end of the year..

I think the best way to look at it is that it's a thing and you have to decide how to best utilize the new perspective you yourself can provide on your own work, perhaps by learning from it, drawing the best parts out of it, knowing that you've done it before, so you can do it again.