I'm in.

+1

i'm also in!

You have my bow

I'm in as well.

Honest question, what is the difference between landr and, say, slap a "mastering" preset on Ozone? Anybody tried?

As for the original question, would chipping in to this, if enough people are involved, mean that the music will also automatically get onto music services? Because maybe some people (me) don't want that.

Last edited by acid (January 8, 2018 10:30 pm)

Procyon Lotor wrote:

You have my bow

halfbyte wrote:

I'm in as well.

Gotcha! But send me your paypal emails via the site's email function or on discord

acid wrote:

Honest question, what is the difference between landr and, say, slap a "mastering" preset on Ozone? Anybody tried?

As for the original question, would chipping in to this, if enough people are involved, mean that the music will also automatically get onto music services? Because maybe some people (me) don't want that.

Distro is not automatic, it's an additonal button you can push.

Regarding the difference, you just have to try it yourself and see. They have a trial account which lets you give it a go. I know Aday was using Ozone and is onboard for LANDR. I was previously using Final Touch for iPad.

For me it's an idological difference:

(1) save time and money. i don't want to spend any more time than necessary on the mastering step. in the past i would get super tweaky with final touch and would rather spend my tweak time in gadget on instruments and my mix. we have enough people now that landr is stupid cheap.

(2) i don't want to master my own material. i'm not going to pay someone or find someone to do mastering on a weekly basis.

(3) i'm curious about how the bots will perform and contributing to the neural network that LANDR is using. the theme of CODAME ART+TECH festival i'm running is #ARTOBOTS this year and using landr for mastering fits in with that. my take is that every labor revolution has put people out of jobs and shifted value to new tasks. i don't see any reason for the intelegence revolution to be any different.

i expected plenty of haters when i tossed the idea out there. responses range from "mastering is so simple that i wouldn't pay anyone or a bot to do it, just throw a limiter on there and turn up your volume" to "mastering is such a complex art that there's no way a bot could do it." i'm somewhere in the middle, i think that mastering is a simple enough task that it's feasible to train a bot to do a good job. the limiter conversation has actually been covered fairly in depth on the mastering show.

i find the conversation fascinating considering all the context above. i'm not trying to sell LANDR on anyone but do want to share what i consider an interesting opportunity with the ppl here!

Have 20 people in right now, works out to ~11 a head.

how's this going to work anyway? how will we all use the same account? or do we submit our tracks to you and you then submit it to LANDR?

Phil Harmonic wrote:

how's this going to work anyway? how will we all use the same account? or do we submit our tracks to you and you then submit it to LANDR?

was gonna ask this. I'm in if I can just log in myself and throw tracks at it anytime. I just tested some of the super secret teledildonix tracks from our squaresounds live set and they sound even more awesome after mastering.

0F wrote:

I just tested some of the super secret teledildonix tracks from our squaresounds live set and they sound even more awesome after mastering.

This should be part of the TD set.  You perform / record each track ahead of time via headphones and someone on stage (preferably in a suit) uploads each track to LANDR.  2 minutes later they play the mastered track through the PA.  The last two performed tracks would then only be available via a download code. :-P

LANDR wise, I have zero interest.  I think fast mastering is a massive part of the weekly beats learning process for me.

cTrix wrote:

LANDR wise, I have zero interest.  I think fast mastering is a massive part of the weekly beats learning process for me.

I hate mastering, so I think something like this or izotope's products are ideal for me big_smile

Phil Harmonic wrote:

how's this going to work anyway? how will we all use the same account? or do we submit our tracks to you and you then submit it to LANDR?

We will share a generic email address and password. I've got login access via facebook in case anything goes haywire wink

And yeah, log in whenever, upload whatever. Each person starts a new "Project" so that they can easily see just their tracks.

Hey I send you a message with my email smile

starpause wrote:
Phil Harmonic wrote:

how's this going to work anyway? how will we all use the same account? or do we submit our tracks to you and you then submit it to LANDR?

We will share a generic email address and password. I've got login access via facebook in case anything goes haywire wink

And yeah, log in whenever, upload whatever. Each person starts a new "Project" so that they can easily see just their tracks.

Great! Count me in, I sent you an email via the forum; didn't get a confirmation but I assume it went through..

I've been trying out LANDR since about halfway through WeeklyBeats 2016 and have mixed feelings about it.  At first I felt like it was really improving the sound of my tracks a lot, but sometimes I feel like they really come out sounding like garbage.  Lately I've been spending a LOT more time tweaking mixes because of LANDR than I did before I used it.  Which, I don't know... maybe is a good thing?  But I would definitely be interested in hearing other people's experiences with it.

CosmicCairns wrote:

I've been trying out LANDR since about halfway through WeeklyBeats 2016 and have mixed feelings about it.  At first I felt like it was really improving the sound of my tracks a lot, but sometimes I feel like they really come out sounding like garbage.  Lately I've been spending a LOT more time tweaking mixes because of LANDR than I did before I used it.  Which, I don't know... maybe is a good thing?  But I would definitely be interested in hearing other people's experiences with it.

Rad to hear from someone who's already been at LANDR. I was all FinalTouch last year and found the same... after mastering, I wasn't happy with the mix, and had to go back and tweak things... so I don't think that's particular to LANDR. Although maybe there is more of that with the approch of one stop mastering software than with the slap a limiter on it and crank the gain approach. Since limiter+gain will be adding the least color of those approaches.

Did you find your mixes got any better or you had less back and forth as time went on? or was it a random crap shoot every week? Were you using the low/mid/high setting?