Melbourne, Australia

Thank god I recorded fri night as all weekend I was working with hardly any sleep.  Was close to missing a week!

Melbourne, Australia

Losing steam so badly the last few weeks ... !!

The love inside has completely dropped out, Like - I know it's in there -- But right now it's locked out.
wtfffffffffffff neutral

Last edited by Aday (June 15, 2014 4:59 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
Aday wrote:

Losing steam so badly the last few weeks ... !!

The love inside has completely dropped out, Like - I know it's in there -- But right now it's locked out.
wtfffffffffffff neutral

The question is, Mr Aday, does it NEED to be at the forefront, or can craft win out?

Melbourne, Australia

I'm cruising!!! Never written so Many songs.

This weeks was killer as it was a really long track at almost 8 minutes (had a challenge to get a long track done without putting myself to sleep).  Making mix changes etc meant listening to entire track and that was a hell of a process!

But I made it!

St Louis

i have been needing to do more loose and free tracks lately and they have been  a surprising success. gonna continue down this interesting path for now.....

Melbourne, Australia
vinpous wrote:

The question is, Mr Aday, does it NEED to be at the forefront, or can craft win out?

Not putting enough care and attention into something that you care about scares me into thinking that it will do bad things to ones work - and effectively, kill it. (DEAD)
<-- Which I guess I've just proven to my self that this is true

Craft could maybe win out, but that could potentially be killing one's own creativity and SPRIT? by just staying afloat for the sake of staying afloat.. waiting until something happens or inspiration hits when space and time finally merge and everything aligns, and you actually end up pulling though with something that resonates well with the individual as someone who creates something worth while and can be happy/proud of again..

BUT! The problem is,
Are emotional states (just being into it!) (or exhausted of it) relevant to the craft's outcome.... ????
I think they are.

There may be no easy answer to this momentum status 'issue'
And this is just something to reflect on...

I do like george bowles response of being more loose and free with tracks (with success)
Hearing thing's like that inspires me to think about just diving into a synth next week ... sometimes that works.
No drums etc. Just jam. (which I can do, and enjoy doing)

27 weeks to go....

Last edited by Aday (June 16, 2014 9:19 am)

Sydney, Australia
Aday wrote:
vinpous wrote:

Not putting enough care and attention into something that you care about scares me into thinking that it will do bad things to ones work - and effectively, kill it. (DEAD)
<-- Which I guess I've just proven to my self that this is true

Craft could maybe win out, but that could potentially be killing one's own creativity and SPRIT? by just staying afloat for the sake of staying afloat.. waiting until something happens or inspiration hits when space and time finally merge and everything aligns, and you actually end up pulling though with something that resonates well with the individual as someone who creates something worth while and can be happy/proud of again..

27 weeks to go....

I like to treat my art as just play. It really frees me up, as there's no tension about waiting for the right moment, for the magical spark of inspiration to strike.

I found this article really freeing - https://www.corita.org/component/conten … rules.html

As it says, 'nothing is a mistake'

Melbourne, Australia

That cortina website has some good rules.

Really dig rule 8.  I've found the best things I do I find I'm unsure yet push on.  If I analyse whilst creating I'm more likely to throw something out and you can only really sit back and analyse once finished.  Once I lay down the foundation I go with it.  Whether good or bad.  Sometimes the end results are surprising.

Melbourne, Australia

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the lengthy response Aday.

Personally, I think of care and attention (and love) as being part of craft rather than "spirit" or "creativity". $0.02

London

Hi,

Really interesting discussion. I'm guessing most people will have seen the Ira Glass quote, but for me it's the best piece of advice and guiding light for creative work and maintaining momentum.

https://vimeo.com/85040589

For me, this is the reason why Weekly Beats is an amazing idea and creative driving force.

Hope this is useful