Brasilia, Brazil

It would be nice to reference/homage Shirley Temple (who passed away today).

NL

How about any dead musician, recent or otherwise; Tiny Tim is closer to the uke than anyone else.

Santa Fe, NM
Devieus wrote:

How about any dead musician, recent or otherwise.

Well, that certainly opens up the possibilities.

The Wisconsin

How about everybody attempts a genre they've never tried before? Could be anything, like reggae, rap, or celtic bagpipe anthems. The idea would just be to try something new and unexpected

USA

I like Dwight Davis's suggestion most so far. ...

Some other ideas

1. include a tempo increase (not sudden, but gradually... either quickly or slowly) ... or a decrease.

2. modulate major key to relative minor and back again. (or possibly just any kind of modulation.)

3. very slow (60 bpm or slower) or very fast (180 bpm or faster)

St Louis

slowmotionmodulation

Minnetonka, MN

So, let's get this in a certain direction. Maybe the genre idea....trying something outside your comfort zone.  I mean, I like the Shirley Temple idea, but I'm over 50 and she's just at the white edge of of my history/experience.  Can't imagine anyone under 40 having any connection to her emotionally if I don't.

Gosford, Australia

yeah i like the idea of working with a style/genre i haven't ever tried before
but then that's not necessarily very "thematic", so i dunno if i'd pick it as a "theme" for the week!

Last edited by midimachine (February 17, 2014 1:38 am)

East Bay
chocolatechipsmusic wrote:

I like Dwight Davis's suggestion most so far. ...

Some other ideas

1. include a tempo increase (not sudden, but gradually... either quickly or slowly) ... or a decrease.

2. modulate major key to relative minor and back again. (or possibly just any kind of modulation.)

3. very slow (60 bpm or slower) or very fast (180 bpm or faster)

I'm enjoying the idea of gradual change like slow to fast / fast to slow, major to minor (or relative major/minor). Heck a gradual change from genre A to genre B would be pretty interesting to try out, too.

Minnetonka, MN

I could get behind gradual change.... that even works with Shirley Temple (movie star to diplomat...), which also disproves the old F.Scott Fitzgelrald quote: "there are no second acts in American lives..."

vrss.co.uk
Imprint wrote:

So, let's get this in a certain direction. Maybe the genre idea....trying something outside your comfort zone.  I mean, I like the Shirley Temple idea, but I'm over 50 and she's just at the white edge of of my history/experience.  Can't imagine anyone under 40 having any connection to her emotionally if I don't.

you're forgetting us kids whose parents never went to the video store, whose entertainment consequently came from the library. I know my 20 year old sister was real turnt up about Shirley Temple's stuff and week after week renewed the same awful VHS cassette.

How about gradual change from one genre to a completely different one?

Minnetonka, MN

Ah, so I'm not so smart...as usual.

I like the gradual change idea.  Genre, tempo, style....seems like each person could bend it to their own particular area of challenge.

Although I don't usually stick to the theme selection chosen for each week, I find these threads give me a lot of inspiration and ideas to try. Definitely already going with an alternate genre. From chiptune to hip hop. Already got the rap written.

St Louis

genre morphing idea seems interesting