Michigan, USA

I was planning on doing a song for each season as they came around. So a spring song should be soon as we had an early one here in MI.

Melbourne, Australia

I've been entering random abstract notes into my evernote for the last few years (http://evernote.com/).
Fantastic for logging that random 'oh my god this idea needs to be written down' moments whist your in traffic trying to sync up your indicators ..

Right now tho... with 12 hours to go, and nothing commited to my sequencers, I think I'll go outside and sample some Eastern Suburbs Melbourne trains and play with it.

*edit* Play with the sounds of the trains, not with the trains them selves.
Train-step-electro-house-somthing? time will tell!

Lucky I slept all day after the weekend, it might be a long night.

Last edited by Aday (May 6, 2012 11:44 am)

Melbourne, Australia

i always find listening to someone jam on modular synths to be inspiring. that or classical music.

Check out Hr Hoffman's work on his modular setup, it's pretty amazing
http://soundcloud.com/drberndthoffmann

Melbourne, Australia
Aday wrote:

Right now tho... with 12 hours to go, and nothing commited to my sequencers, I think I'll go outside and sample some Eastern Suburbs Melbourne trains and play with it.

*edit* Play with the sounds of the trains, not with the trains them selves.

You actually went and sampled those train sounds yourself? nice work!
Turned out pretty well imho

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah.. didnt buy a metcard tho ... got a bit of a rush from going one station over just to collect samples without a valid ticket! (living on the EDGE!!)

There's a few good field recordings on WB, People writing soundtracks to their cats etc, If you look enough (somehow) you can find musical inspiration from anything it seems.

p.s, Yay! You Joined!! Welcome to WeeklyBeats man smile

Cincinnati, Ohio

when in doubt, consult the unknown

Melbourne, Australia

My main inspiration comes from a kind of scientific testing of things. I like to push the red button, so to speak, JUST to see what happens. Usually the result is inspiring. But this is the general method of creation that I use all the time, and the beauty of it is there's always something new to try. John Cage says "consider everything an experiment", and that works really well for me.

I also find inspiration and ideas on what to experiment with in fairly mundane things (or non-mundane, depending on your point of view) such as nature, evolutionary biology, books, other people's experiments and an urge to adapt them for myself, as little-scale said - the phase misalignment of car indicators, and so on.

My main inspiration is inertia. What I mean is I generally start a session by making some random patch on one of my analogs, and then all of a sudden I find myself in some groove, and thats how most of my shitty tracks have been born.

Other sources of inspiration are feelings in a particular moment(like the rush of unsettling Carolyn felt in UNtamed Heart as she was pursued by her would be assailants) or random things in nature(the way a platypus scurries across grass, a tornado tearing through a mobile home, etc etc etc).

I guess I'm weird like that.

Upstate New York

I like recreating foods as sound. Then it just develops from there

St Louis

I use evernote too, great way to get those random thoughts down