Cincinnati, Ohio

I'm sure most of the esteemed participants in WeeklyBeats have got some great ideas for their first few songs and I can't wait to see them all!  Looking down the line though (you know, like week 30 or so) I could see myself running out of steam and rehashing old ideas.  I wanted this post to be a place people could share, in specific or in general, what inspires them to make a song.  This way when you're over flowing with inspiration, you can share with those who might be lacking and when you're lacking, there's somewhere you can go!  So if you want to tell us all about how your girlfriend inspired you to write your latest tune, or how being struck by that stray baseball last week really got the creative juices flowing, go for it!  It's not necessarily limited to notes, measure and format (although those can be great kick starters), but hopefully we can expand to the ideas and inspirations that are behind the music.  Tell us your story!  You might just make someones week ^_^

Cincinnati, Ohio

I plan to make a habit of posting something inspiring here from time to time for anyone scratching their heads.  To get us started, I recently wrote a song about a friends cat.  His name is Lupe, and he is a 6 months old bobtail, but rather large and clumsy for his age.  He made for great inspiration. Perhaps there is an animal in your life in need of a theme song smile

Austria

THATS a great idea! I will join you sometimes, and blabber out my inspirational stuff ^^

Philadelphia, PA

I get inspired to write music from bad cop movies, lol.

I listen to a bunch of foreign music and steal their ideas

that way no one knows where they came from.

Philadelphia, PA
VBO wrote:

I listen to a bunch of foreign music and steal their ideas

that way no one knows where they came from.

Very nice.

L003, C0rnw4//.
Solarbear wrote:

I get inspired to write music from bad cop movies, lol.

!!!

adelaide

I've been listening to this quite a bit in the last few days. Refined simplicity with sugary sounds. http://comtruise.bandcamp.com/

Adelaide SA

I find traffic jams inspiring. that and a little bit of a spice of good ol' pain.
And when I steal from myself, but @spry, I think the best is failing. Never let me down. It inspires me with every medium I've attempted so far.:S

adelaide

On the topic of traffic jams, I find indicator phase differences between multiple cars when waiting to turn right or left to be inspiring.

Cincinnati, Ohio
little-scale wrote:

On the topic of traffic jams, I find indicator phase differences between multiple cars when waiting to turn right or left to be inspiring.

i have been mesmerized by this phenomenon since i was a little kid.  add in the rhythm of the windshield wipers and the patter of a steady rain, and its a veritable brainwave symphony!

Philadelphia, PA
little-scale wrote:

I fucking hate when someone's signal is faster than mine. Makes me feel inadequate. u_u

adelaide

Need to circuit bend your car.

Adelaide, South Australia
little-scale wrote:

Years ago, I remember a girl from my undergrad composition class did a minimalist phase piece based upon that very principle.

Last edited by Tristan Louth-Robins (January 5, 2012 10:54 pm)

adelaide

Nice nice. I want to do the same. I might do so for WB. I will do so for WB.

Cincinnati, Ohio

So I haven't posted here in a while and I thought id share this bit of inspiration: when someone you care about leaves your life, what better way to process those emotions than writing music? I got pissed and wrote some trash to dedicate to my ex. Perhaps there is someone leaving a void in your life worthy of filling with a song :-)