Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Devieus's music / The Mysterious Melodica Man

The Mysterious Melodica Man

By Devieus on May 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Somewhere out west, there's a man. He walks the wastes alone. And when you need it most, he'll play you a tune on his melodica.

I was playing Call of Juarez Gunslinger, so I felt a western vibe coming up. I was going to do something else, but then I didn't. Maybe next time.

So as it turns out, the melodica is a very appropriate substitute for trumpets or oboes for this kind of stuff, which makes sense as it has the right qualities to it: loud and obnoxious when played solo for extended periods of time (the melodica is better though, since it's polyphonic), but goes great with a guitar.

I had to record the melodica on my phone because of the constant noise reduction on my PC, and it works for the most part, but there's still a bit of stuttering going on I'm not totally okay with. At least the melody is totally fine; I tried layering it with a square wave first, which I used as a companion for recording before, but decided to remove it anyway, so now I'm totally playing in tempo guys, I swear.

The MMM acronym of the title is just serendipity, one of the perks of playing the melodica I guess. But it does seem like I'll be using this DAW every time I do the live stuff.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
May 21, 2018 12:52 am

Oh man, definitely a spaghetti western vibe. Sad lamenting melodica but when the drums come in, it's majestic, triumphant, but bitter sweet. Beautiful melody! You should add to this.  Should be longer!

May 21, 2018 3:30 am

Thematic yet very subdued - and pretty!  This is a really neat track.

May 21, 2018 5:26 am
NWSPR wrote:

Oh man, definitely a spaghetti western vibe. Sad lamenting melodica but when the drums come in, it's majestic, triumphant, but bitter sweet. Beautiful melody! You should add to this.  Should be longer!

I know, but I wasn't sure what I should add. I'll mark it up to listening fatigue, so I'll have to come back in a few weeks for it.

Reilly Farrell wrote:

Thematic yet very subdued - and pretty!  This is a really neat track.

Thank you. It's not quite Ennio Morricone, but then he didn't use a melodica.

May 21, 2018 7:07 am

Yes, the mood is very well done here, definitely makes me think of cowboys...

May 21, 2018 7:35 am

I love this. It feels spaghetti westernish but also different and fresh, definitely your own spin on the theme

May 21, 2018 10:44 am

Ooooh, this is very pretty. Great job on the theme

May 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Sounds in tempo to me!  Loving the theme and agree with a spegetti western vibe, but also love it as red dead 2 should be out this year smile

May 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Yeah, the melodica works like a "super-harmonica." Effective, wish it was longer.

May 21, 2018 7:32 pm
LydiaPrimate wrote:

Yes, the mood is very well done here, definitely makes me think of cowboys...

Riding off into the sunset, just the right amount of reverb. Those cows will be wrangled good.

Bleeoop wrote:

I love this. It feels spaghetti westernish but also different and fresh, definitely your own spin on the theme

My theory is because the melodica doesn't have any exposure in mainstream music whatsoever. The only one I can remember is On Mercury by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Mortistar wrote:

Ooooh, this is very pretty. Great job on the theme

Thanks, it's very insteresting, but not all that hard.

demonzor wrote:

Sounds in tempo to me!  Loving the theme and agree with a spegetti western vibe, but also love it as red dead 2 should be out this year smile

Whoever told you otherwise? But for real, if you'd listen to the version with the square wave it's very obvious, but that's just the kind of thing that's inevitable when you mix acoustic wind with digital. I've never played RDR, so I'm not quite as stoked, but games are definitely a good way to get into the right mindset for the genre.

Jim Wood wrote:

Yeah, the melodica works like a "super-harmonica." Effective, wish it was longer.

(that's what she said) It kind of is, but only in some ways. With a melodica the sound you get from a key is the sound you'll pretty much always get, but with a harmonica the sound can be changed considerably with all sorts of tricks. On the other hand, the melodica has a much wider range and ease of use. So really it's a sidegrade, kind of like a different instrument altogether.

May 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Great use of melodica for the spaghetti western vibe! In this context it captures some of the qualities of a harmonica, but also some of the quality of the "mexican trumpet" that the genre often uses. Well done!

May 22, 2018 5:47 am
Plantrain wrote:

Great use of melodica for the spaghetti western vibe! In this context it captures some of the qualities of a harmonica, but also some of the quality of the "mexican trumpet" that the genre often uses. Well done!

That's one way to describe the sound of it. I reckon if you ask 10 people to describe the sound of a melodica, you get at least 9 different mixes of instruments.

May 22, 2018 12:14 pm

This was very enjoyable to listen to.

May 22, 2018 2:27 pm
onlyjokinen wrote:

This was very enjoyable to listen to.

Thank you. If I ever get to expanding on it, it'll probably definitely be even more enjoyable.

May 22, 2018 11:12 pm

I sensed some kind of medieval hint in the melody blended together with Mexican guitar! I very much liked this tune, I’m almost under the impression that I listened to it live!
Good work!

May 23, 2018 12:13 am

Yeah the melodica really actually works well for this Spaghetti Western type of music.  I never would have guessed.  I definitely think a tumbleweed blew through here while I was listening.

May 23, 2018 6:40 am
ScanianWolf wrote:

I sensed some kind of medieval hint in the melody blended together with Mexican guitar! I very much liked this tune, I’m almost under the impression that I listened to it live!
Good work!

I can see that, interesting. I guess it's because of the timbre of the melodica? The live feel is because of the reverb I'm sure, but the fact the melodica at least is an actual recording might help.

CosmicCairns wrote:

Yeah the melodica really actually works well for this Spaghetti Western type of music.  I never would have guessed.  I definitely think a tumbleweed blew through here while I was listening.

It's fairly obvious in hindsight, but it should definitely be done with caution in a duet at least.

May 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Nice melody, and very good instrumentation with the melodica!

May 24, 2018 3:25 am

Wonderful Ennio vibe here in the melody and the arrangement. Would see this movie!

May 24, 2018 1:08 pm
theGuen wrote:

Nice melody, and very good instrumentation with the melodica!

I try my best.

onezero wrote:

Wonderful Ennio vibe here in the melody and the arrangement. Would see this movie!

That's secretly what I was going for. Western is big, but Ennio is probably the best known.

May 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Short, but emotionally powerful. This is beautiful

May 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Excellent spaghetti western vibes that had me slowly riding off into the sunset.  As far as other melodica tracks, hmmm I think Gorillaz used one for Clint Eastwood and a few others.  smile

May 25, 2018 4:22 pm
Guabágeuse wrote:

Short, but emotionally powerful. This is beautiful

Thanks. Short and powerful are my thing it seems.

Tone Matrix wrote:

Excellent spaghetti western vibes that had me slowly riding off into the sunset.  As far as other melodica tracks, hmmm I think Gorillaz used one for Clint Eastwood and a few others.  smile

That's no surprise seeing as Damon plays it, probably a reason I ended up with one myself.

May 26, 2018 8:41 am

This is great smile Made me smile... great combination of Morricone and The Nits vibes for me...can´t go wrong with those

May 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Very nice spaghetti western vibes going on here! Well done!

May 26, 2018 3:33 pm

very nice. intersting thought of how a melodica can replace a trumpet or oboe it totally works here

May 26, 2018 6:33 pm
Ashen Simian wrote:

This is great smile Made me smile... great combination of Morricone and The Nits vibes for me...can´t go wrong with those

Never heard of them Nits boys, I think, but I can see that. I probably should though, they're as Dutch as me.

NinjaBaka wrote:

Very nice spaghetti western vibes going on here! Well done!

That's pretty much exactly what it should be. Thanks!

underground Luau wrote:

very nice. Interesting thought of how a melodica can replace a trumpet or oboe it totally works here

It was more a matter of "I'm going to use the melodica" that brought me there, so when I wanted to make a western it was fairly obvious. And then it turned out it worked just fine, so that was a nice extra.

May 28, 2018 2:51 am

Very nice! Perfect amount of reverb.

May 28, 2018 4:31 am
Chrome Owl wrote:

Very nice! Perfect amount of reverb.

Always the right amount of reverb. It's like salt.

May 28, 2018 12:24 pm

This is my favourite piece of yours so far, I can only hope that one day I can write such a thoughtful melody. Well done.

May 28, 2018 3:32 pm
Ryan wrote:

This is my favourite piece of yours so far, I can only hope that one day I can write such a thoughtful melody. Well done.

You already do, you just need to look inside yourself, find the right chords, maybe get a melodica/similar instrument and turn the tempo way down. You'll find you've been doing it all along.

May 29, 2018 11:30 pm

Very nice image.

May 30, 2018 8:51 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

Very nice image.

It really is.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up