WeeklyBeats.com / Music / coreytrev0r's music / Jesus Has an AK-47

Jesus Has an AK-47

By coreytrev0r on January 12, 2020 11:56 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first time attempting weekly beats.  I had to miss the first week due to a business trip but hopefully I can make it to the end from now on.  I'm not very comfortable doing this but it should be a good creative exercise.

mikememo, demonzor, and onlyjokinen convinced me to give this a try.  mikememo is my older brother who clearly got the better music genes.

I am not a good song writer nor am I great at recording/producing so for my first submission I decided to keep it simple and do an acoustic track.

Cover of "Jesus Has an AK-47" by "Honest John."

"The United States, we seem to have a lot of religious cults here. And we've had like David Koresh with the Branch Davidians, and Jim Jones, and we've got these Westboro assholes, and there's probably a ton more I don't even know about. So I wrote a little song about religious cults and it's called 'Jesus Has an AK-47'."

January 13, 2020 12:50 am

this is awesome, the acoustic guitar sounds really nice. super cool song, too

January 13, 2020 12:58 am
tdoubleu wrote:

sounds like it was done in a professional studio!

January 13, 2020 1:02 am

welcome to hell bud!   this is crisp as hell,  vocals and guitar sound great, and its mixed perfectly

January 13, 2020 1:03 am
mikememo wrote:
tdoubleu wrote:

sounds like it was done in a professional studio!

hey neat, what a compliment.  No studio time though, just my messy office, my Martin acoustic, and the trusty 'ol Rode NT1-A microphone.  I put the mic about 10 inches from the 12th fret and it turned out pretty nice.  It's got a little bit of reverb and compression on it.

January 13, 2020 1:04 am
demonzor wrote:

thanks, holy.  appreciate that.  excited to be here

January 13, 2020 1:08 am

Damn dude. I agree with all the comments above. Vocals are a beaut and that mix is great. High quality studio mix.

January 13, 2020 1:09 am

Also, favorited and downloaded.

January 13, 2020 1:14 am
onlyjokinen wrote:

thanks brotha!  appreciate the compliments.

January 13, 2020 1:17 am

welcome!

i would suggest going original as often as possible, but this is a really cool cover and you clearly have better "musical genes" than folks like myself!

i got dragged into this a couple of years ago by @onezero and he gave me a some crucial pieces of encouragement: keep with it no matter how many weeks you miss, and also do whatever comes to mind regardless of style, theme, or whether it sounds like a finished professional piece.

i only got 5 tracks in for 2018, but that was enough to warm me up and last year (on the alternative odd-year http://streak.club forum @onezero set-up, I believe based on what @leafo had done a couple of years before) I managed to get every week in- and i absolutely can not overstate how much of an impact it has had on my writing and production abilities.

in short, awesome work and you will thank yourself if you stick with it even if it's not every week!

January 13, 2020 1:20 am

also, digging the username.

smokes, let's go!

January 13, 2020 1:35 am
cailen wrote:

welcome!

hey thanks for the encouraging comment.  That's what I'm really hoping for a year from now: much more skill than I have today.  I'm sure it gets harder and harder each week but I'm gonna try my best.  also, congrats on completing last year!

January 13, 2020 2:31 am

Damn dude, this is solid. The whole mix sounds so warm.  Excellent job on the recording and processing.

January 13, 2020 3:53 am
Chrisfoo wrote:

thanks, I really appreciate that.  I haven't recorded a song in a long while so I was a bit rusty and it took me a good deal of time to get it right.  I'm pleasantly surprised to receive compliments on the mix.

This was all done in FL Studio if anyone was wondering.

January 13, 2020 4:08 pm

Very beautiful vocals, acoustic guitar sounds great too. Congrats. Hope you will be able to release lots of tunes this year.

January 13, 2020 4:27 pm
djippy wrote:

thanks for the compliments!  I only did one take of the vocals because I was running out of time.  I was hoping to add some harmonies in and tweak the sound a little bit.  They sound a bit...off to me so I appreciate the compliment

January 14, 2020 12:28 am

Welcome to weeklybeats! Like your sound a lot, excited to see where you go with it!

January 14, 2020 2:29 pm
Judgement Act wrote:

Thanks for the compliment.  I'm excited to see where I can take it.  I've still got a long way to go.

January 15, 2020 2:34 am

Welcome! You'll do well here, this is beautiful...great job smile

January 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Very nice. Based on this, you should definitely have more confidence in your recording. It sounds great.

January 15, 2020 10:21 pm
Sodabelly wrote:

Welcome! You'll do well here, this is beautiful...great job smile

ecso wrote:

thank you both.  I appreciate the feedback.  I'm glad it turned out well.

January 15, 2020 10:23 pm

(Also, go Hawks)

January 16, 2020 2:14 am
ecso wrote:

(Also, go Hawks)

Heh, boy has it been a rough season.  You never know which team is going to show up on any given night.

January 17, 2020 8:43 pm
coreytrev0r wrote:
ecso wrote:

(Also, go Hawks)

Ugh. You ain't lyin'.

January 18, 2020 3:00 pm

This is great, your voice is amazing. You should do a duet with your bro.

January 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Nice track and welcome to WB!

January 19, 2020 5:36 pm

thanks for the warm welcome and compliments everyone!

January 25, 2020 5:56 pm

Great track. Nice work on the acoustic and recording of that along with the lyrics. Cheers

Today 7:51 pm

Sounds great as others have said. Any tips for recording vocals? Same mic on vocals?