Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Drone in C

By rdomain on February 7, 2016 6:23 am

In memory of Warren Ritchie. 

Modular synth drone in C.  One take with no edits. 
The piece was created from a patch I've designed for a live film score performance at the end of the month. 

I also filmed the recording if you're interested in checking it out.  Subscribe to my Youtube channel if you'd like to stay up to date.  Cheers.

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
February 8, 2016 12:19 am

All those wires and cables are a complete mystery to me.  Sounds cool, though.  I subscribed.

February 8, 2016 1:21 am

Like walking through a landscape of sound, features and peaks on the horizon keep you going. Amazing sound.

February 8, 2016 8:07 am

Diggin the drone duuuude! I like the waves, come crashing in... CooL! big_smile:D:D

February 8, 2016 6:42 pm

Exquisite drone texture here.  Wonderful work.

February 8, 2016 11:33 pm

Great. I would think that the work involved in setting up such intricate patching would discourage any major changes (I know it did for me with my modular experiences in the 70s).

February 9, 2016 1:29 am
Edmund Snyder wrote:

All those wires and cables are a complete mystery to me.  Sounds cool, though.  I subscribed.


Cheers!

Nimble Cipher wrote:

Like walking through a landscape of sound, features and peaks on the horizon keep you going. Amazing sound.


Awesome.  Love the description!

Podling wrote:

Diggin the drone duuuude! I like the waves, come crashing in... CooL! big_smile:D:D


Nicccce.  Thanks man!

onezero wrote:

Exquisite drone texture here.  Wonderful work.


Cheers.  Much appreciated!

Jim Wood wrote:

Great. I would think that the work involved in setting up such intricate patching would discourage any major changes (I know it did for me with my modular experiences in the 70s).


Not always.  This patch was designed with an element of self generation so not a lot of interaction is needed and I was wanting a purely drone piece.  Having said that, I do know what you mean.  I didn't go totally crazy on the realtime or more specifically repatching as the patch was designed for the performance at the end of the month.  It's going to kill me having to leave it patched for that long but it's fun exploring one patch to the fullest also.  Fortunately I have other systems I can patch on in the mean time smile
What format did you use in the 70s?  Was this in academia as I know it was even more expensive back then!

February 9, 2016 1:39 am
rdomain wrote:

Not always.  This patch was designed with an element of self generation so not a lot of interaction is needed and I was wanting a purely drone piece.  Having said that, I do know what you mean.  I didn't go totally crazy on the realtime or more specifically repatching as the patch was designed for the performance at the end of the month.  It's going to kill me having to leave it patched for that long but it's fun exploring one patch to the fullest also.  Fortunately I have other systems I can patch on in the mean time smile
What format did you use in the 70s?  Was this in academia as I know it was even more expensive back then!

Not academic. It was basically a PAiA 4700, some outrigger PAiA modules and a Korg MS-20 hooked together with a Korg linear-exponential interface. I kept having to solder up more cables.

February 9, 2016 5:42 am

This is beautiful, nice complement to your more harsh tracks, great video as well

February 9, 2016 7:03 am

Yeah man.  This is really nice.  Minor 7th chords are my favorite :-)

February 9, 2016 2:51 pm

Beautiful drone textures, calm but complex.
Impressive piece

February 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Very nice, downloading it!

February 12, 2016 12:38 am
Jim Wood wrote:
rdomain wrote:

Not always.  This patch was designed with an element of self generation so not a lot of interaction is needed and I was wanting a purely drone piece.  Having said that, I do know what you mean.  I didn't go totally crazy on the realtime or more specifically repatching as the patch was designed for the performance at the end of the month.  It's going to kill me having to leave it patched for that long but it's fun exploring one patch to the fullest also.  Fortunately I have other systems I can patch on in the mean time smile
What format did you use in the 70s?  Was this in academia as I know it was even more expensive back then!

Not academic. It was basically a PAiA 4700, some outrigger PAiA modules and a Korg MS-20 hooked together with a Korg linear-exponential interface. I kept having to solder up more cables.

Nice.  And man, I've never had so many cables and the cost of cables alone is scary!

Jason Nijjer wrote:

This is beautiful, nice complement to your more harsh tracks, great video as well

Plantrain wrote:

Beautiful drone textures, calm but complex.
Impressive piece

rANGEL wrote:

Very nice, downloading it!


Thanks for listening!

cTrix wrote:

Yeah man.  This is really nice.  Minor 7th chords are my favorite :-)


Indeed. Applicable to many styles too. And thanks!

February 13, 2016 4:17 pm

This is awesome! Great drone tone i can almost hear waves in the background smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up