Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

mushin

By Wisefire on January 14, 2018 4:35 am

Loosely translated "mushin" is the buddist/japanese concept of "Flow" and i certainly was while composing this track.

My plan was to take it easy this week. Just record some live jam, but that didn't pan out at all.

So instead, as per the theme challenge, i made a track in A. I tried to make it Aeolian, but i needed some flats here and there. so its something else and i'm to lazy to look it up.

Big shoutout to Judgement for his "talking leads" idea. A DMG and A SID having a love affair!


Any and all comments are welcome! hate it? love it? feel indifferent about it? let me know!

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
January 15, 2018 12:44 am

Nice melodies, I like especially like the bass! Broken basslines are the best big_smile

January 15, 2018 1:06 am

Very progressive, lot of cool ideas in this one, great track!

January 15, 2018 1:08 am

Heavy bassline! Great job!

January 15, 2018 1:10 am

It's tight.

A scale isn't really much to go by, it's just a scale, but it can provide some interesting contrasts if there is some display of normality (e.g. a major scale).

January 15, 2018 1:15 am
hieme wrote:

Nice melodies, I like especially like the bass! Broken basslines are the best big_smile


I know right! I love the driving nature of those kinds of basslines.

Mortistar wrote:

Very progressive, lot of cool ideas in this one, great track!


thnx man! appreciate it!

JerwuQu wrote:

Heavy bassline! Great job!


Yeah, and landr decided to make it even heavier. thnx dude!

Devieus wrote:

It's tight.

A scale isn't really much to go by, it's just a scale, but it can provide some interesting contrasts if there is some display of normality (e.g. a major scale).


True, with equal temperament, "A" doesn't say much.

January 15, 2018 1:28 am

"A" is a letter, you can do a lot with not just one A, but many A's, Aeolian A is a nice start, but what if you did it with an accordion accompanied by an acoustic bass and alt saxophone with agogos with some weird amplitude modulation and a bunch of automation. Perhaps even some autotune.

January 15, 2018 1:35 am
Devieus wrote:

"A" is a letter, you can do a lot with not just one A, but many A's, Aeolian A is a nice start, but what if you did it with an accordion accompanied by an acoustic bass and alt saxophone with agogos with some weird amplitude modulation and a bunch of automation. Perhaps even some autotune.

hAhAhAh! An Awesome idea, Although the resulting Audio might be less Approachable And the Aforementioned Audio could Also turn out Awful! wink

January 15, 2018 3:18 am

Awesome melodies and awesome mix to it as well! Keep up the good work!

January 15, 2018 10:07 am

Nice one. Love the interesting mix of sounds. Only minor quibble: The lead that comes in towards the end sits a bit too much in front of everything for my taste.

I also really like the drums.

January 15, 2018 10:48 am

Oh, but this is smooth! The sound design on this is just airtight. Always love your pads, and as Hieme said: dat bass heart. Might do some broken bass myself next week, now, haha.

Brings me back some old gaming memories.

January 15, 2018 11:09 am

I really like this one. Sticky melodies and a nice beat.


halfbyte wrote:

Nice one. Love the interesting mix of sounds. Only minor quibble: The lead that comes in towards the end sits a bit too much in front of everything for my taste.

I also really like the drums.

Maybe too much presence in the mix, indeed, though no dealbreaker for me


January 15, 2018 11:38 am
Alphaglitch wrote:

Awesome melodies and awesome mix to it as well! Keep up the good work!


only if you will, too wink

antler wrote:

Oh, but this is smooth! The sound design on this is just airtight. Always love your pads, and as Hieme said: dat bass <3. Might do some broken bass myself next week, now, haha.

Brings me back some old gaming memories.


thanks man, and you should! Basslines are tricky things to get right, took me a while to get half-decent at them smile that's what weeklybeats is all about, getting in a lot of progress!

laguna wrote:

I really like this one. Sticky melodies and a nice beat.

halfbyte wrote:

Nice one. Love the interesting mix of sounds. Only minor quibble: The lead that comes in towards the end sits a bit too much in front of everything for my taste.

I also really like the drums.

Maybe too much presence in the mix, indeed, though no dealbreaker for me


Awesome, from quibbles one can learn. I think this has to do with me using LANDR, it smushed my dynamic range so much (together with my highs) that one needs to make absolutely sure that the mix itself is perfect. i probably could've shaven of a couple of DBs on the second lead (the ear piercing one). Maybe some PWM to have that break down the monotony of a single waveform note. Good stuff, thanks for the feedback guys!

January 15, 2018 10:57 pm

my feet are tapping

January 18, 2018 8:52 pm
I_See_Drones wrote:

my feet are tapping


exactly my intention!

January 22, 2018 2:07 am

sooooooo gooooooood

January 22, 2018 2:29 am
kaedo sevaada wrote:

sooooooo gooooooood


Sooooo nice!! Thank you!

January 22, 2018 6:22 am

Ooh, I really dig this one. The start-stop feel of the drums and bass are especially groovy and lay a great foundation for the pads and melodies up top.

January 22, 2018 11:10 am
hypnogram wrote:

Ooh, I really dig this one. The start-stop feel of the drums and bass are especially groovy and lay a great foundation for the pads and melodies up top.


aww, thanks man! appreciate it!

February 6, 2018 10:49 pm

I liked the presence of the end lead. smile though i did feel like there might have been a bit too much going on in that moment. wall of sound! hehehe that's something i'm trying to address in my own tracks. one of my main focuses for the this weekly beats challenge is to give space to let all my elements breathe.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up