Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Cybernetta

By Tweaklab on January 14, 2018 11:17 pm


Artwork by brasskeleton
http://brasskeleton.tumblr.com/
Full size cover art
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1ewewtf617me4e/week_01.jpg?raw=1


So this week is something a bit different (and special!). My friend brasskeleton who creates visual art (she did the artwork for the GoldenEye: Source 5.0 OST) was having a similar creative block to what I was witnessing in 2017 so I pitched the idea of doing something similar to Weekly Beats where the idea is to just get "something" done each week then move onto the next etc.

I sent last week's track to her and was surprised to see it inspired the image above within days, which in turn inspired my entire track for Week 2. I even broke through my self doubt and recorded some vocals (albeit they are vocoded lol)

This track is full on Scandroid/Sunset Neon synthwave with a bit of Daft Punk and Giorgio Moroder in there, lots of arps, bass, synths, reverb saturated snares and even some guitar.

The lyrics are:

We stray from light
Live free at night
With hope in sight
Under neon bright
We may not see tomorrow so we live for today.

Our time we borrow
Beneath the struggle
Denied to procreate.

Born from machine
Designed by man
Subliminal dream.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
January 15, 2018 12:20 am

Wel this sounds fantastic to my ears. The vocoded vocals give it some nice italodisco feel.

Perfect choice of synth sounds. I'm still haven't figured out how you all get that eighties sound smile

When you drop the "guitar" part, I was already seeing motorbikers in neon smile

January 15, 2018 1:46 am
laguna wrote:

Wel this sounds fantastic to my ears. The vocoded vocals give it some nice italodisco feel.

Perfect choice of synth sounds. I'm still haven't figured out how you all get that eighties sound smile

When you drop the "guitar" part, I was already seeing motorbikers in neon smile

Ahh thank you so much! Love the gif lol sounds like I hit the mark I was aiming for smile

I've got a few go-to things for Synthwave production these days, I work with Propellerhead Reason so for drums I find Jiggery Pokery - Kings of Kong Classic Drum Machine works well with the right effects (I used the same 505 snare both dry and with a crap load of reverb and layered the two together, gives it the punch and trail off) and fed the rolling hihat through a phaser.

As for a bunch of the bass and synths I used the VST/Plugin TAL-U-NO-LX-V2-64 and added some of Reason's own distortion units to a few of the thicker sounds.

The guitar is legit, just plugged straight into the soundcard and recorded within Reason using Guitar Rig! "80s Solo" is a great patch... smile

January 15, 2018 2:00 am

Whoa! Bad ass synthwave. And then that dark guitar comes in. Love it!

January 15, 2018 3:43 am

Back to the 80s!

Tweaklab wrote:

The guitar is legit, just plugged straight into the soundcard and recorded within Reason using Guitar Rig! "80s Solo" is a great patch... smile


Even the rig patch knew where it was at. smile

January 15, 2018 4:04 am

i love everything about this- the overall sound, the lyrics, the collaborative block breaking process, the scandroid reference... ;D

awesome.

January 15, 2018 7:52 am
NWSPR wrote:

Whoa! Bad ass synthwave. And then that dark guitar comes in. Love it!

Really didn't expect such a positive response to this tune! Thank you smile big_smile

Lyons wrote:

Back to the 80s!

Tweaklab wrote:

The guitar is legit, just plugged straight into the soundcard and recorded within Reason using Guitar Rig! "80s Solo" is a great patch... smile


Even the rig patch knew where it was at. smile

big_smile thank you!

cailen wrote:

i love everything about this- the overall sound, the lyrics, the collaborative block breaking process, the scandroid reference... ;D

awesome.

This means so much being my first real attempt at adding vocals to a track, thank you so much! There will definitely more to follow smile collaborating is always fun!

January 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Excellent! Vocals really make a difference.

January 16, 2018 8:34 am
Kohlhofer wrote:

Excellent! Vocals really make a difference.

Thanks dude! I can't wait to get started on Week 3 (I already have to a degree lol)

January 24, 2018 5:50 pm

nice work! this feels like the sound of a creative block getting shoved out of the way!

March 21, 2018 5:19 am

great cyberpunk vibe, loved the vocals

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up