Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / thawkins's music / crystal music

crystal music

By thawkins on July 8, 2018 2:03 pm

For this week I decided to try and finish an old half-done thing that has been on my desktop for more than 3 years now, mostly because the work-in-progress version popped up on DJ Shuffle's playlist on my phone the other day and I felt it had some interesting thing going on.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
July 9, 2018 4:15 pm

That sure is a long one. I think for the next iteration you can condense it down a lot and still get your point across.

July 10, 2018 12:54 am
Devieus wrote:

That sure is a long one. I think for the next iteration you can condense it down a lot and still get your point across.

But I already condensed it! The original was more than an hour! To cut it even more is like cutting a piece off Mona Lisa!!

(Just kidding, you are perfectly correct of course. My stuff tends to always be long and meandering because I always noodle around for a long time and then later never cut the parts shorter)

July 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I can't decide if I love the length or not.  I guess it just becomes a different piece when you change the time.  Right now, I enjoyed the length because I didn't really focus on the track, I had it in the background while I got a bunch of work done.  It did feel good that the piece wasn't so distracting that I couldn't attend to things, but then that meant less attention given to the track.

I dunno, I think a 4min ver. could be interesting but again, a horse of a different color.

July 10, 2018 6:37 pm

(congrats on finishing it!  I love finishing stuff that's been sitting around for ages for WB.)

July 11, 2018 1:49 am
orangedrink wrote:

I can't decide if I love the length or not.  I guess it just becomes a different piece when you change the time.  Right now, I enjoyed the length because I didn't really focus on the track, I had it in the background while I got a bunch of work done.  It did feel good that the piece wasn't so distracting that I couldn't attend to things, but then that meant less attention given to the track.

I dunno, I think a 4min ver. could be interesting but again, a horse of a different color.

Thanks for the comment! I think listening to this while doing something else is a perfectly fine way of listening. I often let hours worth of ambient mixtapes flow while doing work, which of course inspires me to make this kind of music too. smile

Listening to it again I definitely could make it shorter, but for this particular version I just let it stay as it was because I often have had cases where I mess too much with some song and end up liking the original, uncut version better.

July 11, 2018 5:04 am

The beauty of the length you have now (as a person who is admittedly a big fan of Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack, and the accompanying film) is that if it was any shorter, it wouldn't engage that trance feeling of being lost in the track, losing reference points for how much time has passed.  That's a really cool feeling where I'm listening and I'm just like.....I guess this is my life now!  Just listening to this for all eternity!

July 11, 2018 7:09 am
orangedrink wrote:

The beauty of the length you have now (as a person who is admittedly a big fan of Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack, and the accompanying film) is that if it was any shorter, it wouldn't engage that trance feeling of being lost in the track, losing reference points for how much time has passed.  That's a really cool feeling where I'm listening and I'm just like.....I guess this is my life now!  Just listening to this for all eternity!

Yes, this is precisely the point why some songs can not be shortened just like so. I feel the pacing of a song is very important so that people can "get into" the track. It all depends on the context of course - listening to this in a mixtape full of 5-minute songs will probably feel jarring, but in an ambient music context where 15 minute tracks are more common, it's a different story.

July 11, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm a fan of the length of this song. Currently at work and this was fantastic. Bits and pieces could be used for a soundtrack to a movie, maybe Sunshine? Good stuff!

July 12, 2018 1:43 am
onlyjokinen wrote:

I'm a fan of the length of this song. Currently at work and this was fantastic. Bits and pieces could be used for a soundtrack to a movie, maybe Sunshine? Good stuff!

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. smile

July 15, 2018 6:19 am

Great track thawkins... Love that bouncey chilled crystal music... faved : )

July 15, 2018 2:41 pm
Podling wrote:

Great track thawkins... Love that bouncey chilled crystal music... faved : )

Thanks a lot, glad you liked it! smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up