Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / spry's music / Orange and White (WB25)

Orange and White (WB25)

By spry on June 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Decided to not rely on my pre-built instruments and chains and built it all from the ground up this week.  Used new synth generators, different drum kits, and all the chains were different.  i did cheat just a tiny bit and copied one filter module for the master channel from my previous track but everything else is new sound design. 

Spent 1 hour and 10 minutes writing patterns and messing around with the instruments, 30 minutes building the chains and setting the structure of the song, 35 minutes mixing and building a master chain for the template.  total work time 2 hours 15 minutes.

i found it somewhat entertaining to see how much better my computer handled the new sidechain i built for these tracks because it had about a third as much work to do.

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
June 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Love that heavy bass kick sound against the snappy smaller snare. Really cool filter sweeping on the drums. Very danceable!

June 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Love that huge ambient feel and, as NWSPR mentioned, the filter sweep on the drums.

June 26, 2018 9:33 pm

In 2 hours and 15 minutes I rarely have more than some recorded fragments to show for (most of my tracks take closer to 20 than 2 hours to complete). I'm impressed.
Great choice of kick+snare sounds and a very cool track.

June 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Really digging the presence of that bass line--particularly its organic volume fluctuations (which might be sidechaining...) and the depth and impact of that kick.  Nicely done.

June 28, 2018 11:03 pm
NWSPR wrote:

Love that heavy bass kick sound against the snappy smaller snare. Really cool filter sweeping on the drums. Very danceable!

Thanks! That filter module was the only thing i couldnt figure out how to recreate from scratch. i had to cheat slightly and copy it from one of my previous tracks lol


Jim Wood wrote:

Love that huge ambient feel and, as NWSPR mentioned, the filter sweep on the drums.

Thanks big_smile it feels a lot bigger than my recent tracks for sure.


Plantrain wrote:

In 2 hours and 15 minutes I rarely have more than some recorded fragments to show for (most of my tracks take closer to 20 than 2 hours to complete). I'm impressed.
Great choice of kick+snare sounds and a very cool track.

Thanks! I was that way for most of my history as a musician.  Everyone has their own approach but I've found recently in the past few years that I work best when I come to a track with my limitations already set.  Then I dont have to worry about thinking too much; I just listen and react.  If it doesnt come out well I either delete it or fix it.  Incidentally I spent the largest single portion of time among the song writing tasks getting the kick+snare sounding tight :X


onezero wrote:

Really digging the presence of that bass line--particularly its organic volume fluctuations (which might be sidechaining...) and the depth and impact of that kick.  Nicely done.

Thanks! Nice catch! That bass has an automation of volume on a rotating pattern and then a side chain over top to fit the rhythm.  I used a punch restorer on the main channel up front on the chain and then balanced out the other frequencies to suit. ^_^

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up