WeeklyBeats.com / Music / roboctopus's music / Polly Wants a Reactor

Polly Wants a Reactor

By roboctopus on March 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Yet another Octatrack week. Still exploring capabilities. Haven't tried song mode or anything yet, so this is another live jam.

I recorded some piano notes and chords with a 10-year-old cheap digital recorder (the kind you might record a memo on). The shit recorder gave the piano an interesting quality so I sampled it into the octatrack. The recorded bumped against the piano and made some scratchy, clunky, and rattly sounds, which I chopped up for some of the percussion. I sampled in an MS-20 mini bassline. I wrote a melody line on the octatrack midi sequencer, which is controlling the MS-20 for lead too. This was pretty fun. Wanted to try something a bit different.

March 26, 2018 2:49 am

Wow - really interesting use of samples.  The memo-recorder sounds pretty cool - like it's not MP3 put low sample rate ADPCM or similar?  Does it spit out a WAV file?  That electron bass sound also... it's unexplainable isn't it?!  (my Digitakt has the same reso wamth... so crazy for a digital filter).  Really enjoyed this one.  :-)

March 26, 2018 3:18 am

Great feeling of leashed energy. Love that background stutter.

March 26, 2018 9:23 am

definitely nailing the glitchy side of the octatrack!

March 26, 2018 3:20 pm

god this is amazing. that clattery percussion sounds incredible. that lead line in the middle is such classic roboctopus, love how the feeling of it changes as the chords shift beneath it, gives me chills.

March 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Wow, this is a standout track for me this week.  100% in agreement with the previous comments about how dope this is.

Parallelis wrote:

same

March 28, 2018 4:46 pm

July 13, 2018 6:25 pm

So glitchy at first but when that super warm bass come in it pulls together tight. Lovely melody and what sounds like live filtering. Beautiful!