Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / rdomain's music / Engulfing of Oxygen

Engulfing of Oxygen

By rdomain on January 17, 2020 7:19 am

Created with modular synth and manipulated field recordings. 

I was asked to create a piece for a fundraising album to raise money for the Kangaroo Island Relief and Recovery Fund.  Kangaroo Island have been heavily affected by the Australian bushfires which is now worldwide news. Close to half of the island has already been burnt and they're predicting weeks to go before it's considered safe.

The fire has burnt over 519,000 acres of land so far.  Currently 2 people, well over 32,000 livestock animals (this doesn't include the hundreds of thousands of native animals), 830 hives (bees specific to the island) and 115 nucleus hives have died.  Nearly 400 firefighters have been there at any one time as well as 651 army reservists who are helping with recovery efforts, not to mention many many other organisations.

The piece I submitted is the feeling and sound of being surrounded by the fire as it's ripping the oxygen from the air, tearing through anything it touches and then eventually passing, leaving nothing but scorched earth.

I will post details of the release for those of you who are interested in supporting those affected directly or indirectly by the bushfires on Kangaroo Island once it's released.

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
January 20, 2020 2:12 am

Scary description and even more terrifying soundscape that increases in intensity as it progresses.  Hit me up with details when available.  Would like to support the release.

January 20, 2020 3:47 am

Dark airy oppressive stuff that completely fits the brief - excellent work. My track this week is an expression of how I feel about the fires, in a different way. I ended up submitting it to a fundraising compilation also.

Keep us posted, i'll support yours when it comes out

January 20, 2020 10:38 am

Terrifying stuff man. A very real space you've created here.

January 20, 2020 12:00 pm
NWSPR wrote:

Scary description and even more terrifying soundscape that increases in intensity as it progresses.  Hit me up with details when available.  Would like to support the release.


Thanks so much.  I've just posted the link below too.

lysdexic wrote:

Dark airy oppressive stuff that completely fits the brief - excellent work. My track this week is an expression of how I feel about the fires, in a different way. I ended up submitting it to a fundraising compilation also.

Keep us posted, i'll support yours when it comes out


Ah awesome!  I'll be sure to check it out.  And thank you for the kind words.  Just posted the details below.

Ryan wrote:

Terrifying stuff man. A very real space you've created here.


Thanks heaps mate.  Very much appreciated.



The compilation JUST got released!  The link is at
https://tristanlouthrobins.bandcamp.com … roo-island

Also features the work of some other WB'ers Ryan and little-scale.  Also past WB'ers; Tristan Louth-Robins (who put this all together!) and Bellebushka (Kelli Rowe). Apologies if I missed anyone else!  And just quietly, it turns out I'm on one of the other tracks where I was a part of one of my favourite Adelaide ensembles doing a live film score.  Amazing band.  See if you can find it. smile

Please support if you're able to as it's to a much needed and vital cause.  Pay what you want for it.  I'm listening to it currently and I've been digging it!  A great blend of tracks.  THANK YOU.

January 20, 2020 11:16 pm

This. Is. Sick.

January 20, 2020 11:19 pm
fc wrote:

This. Is. Sick.


Thanks Vince!

January 21, 2020 1:49 am

I actually listened to this earlier today after downloading the WAVES album. You really bring in the feeling of being surrounded, trapped. It is pretty frightening to listen to and imagine, well done.

January 21, 2020 6:43 am
Gab Manette wrote:

I actually listened to this earlier today after downloading the WAVES album. You really bring in the feeling of being surrounded, trapped. It is pretty frightening to listen to and imagine, well done.


Ah thanks Gab!  Also thanks for supporting the album.  A good cause and fortunately you score some original music at the same time!  smile

January 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Immersive and suffocating. Great work.

January 22, 2020 12:55 am
hent03 wrote:

Immersive and suffocating. Great work.


My intentions exactly so thank you!

January 25, 2020 9:46 am

The description absolutely matches the feeling created by the music.

January 26, 2020 1:17 am
Ausgesuchtestenohren wrote:

The description absolutely matches the feeling created by the music.


Thanks!

January 26, 2020 11:44 pm

Such an appropriately challenging listen, really well done man.

January 27, 2020 2:11 am
Simon Koehn wrote:

Such an appropriately challenging listen, really well done man.


Thanks man!  Appreciated.

January 28, 2020 12:35 pm

The bass wobble that bleeds in is foreboding. Definitely gives visuals of the devastation all around you.

January 29, 2020 11:05 am
Tone Matrix wrote:

The bass wobble that bleeds in is foreboding. Definitely gives visuals of the devastation all around you.

Cheers!  Thanks for listening.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up