WeeklyBeats.com / Music / orangedrink's music / Trying To Find A Way

Trying To Find A Way

By orangedrink on September 27, 2020 10:17 pm

Composed and performed this in 3 hours.  This is a live performance on the Model:Cycles with a little bit of editing for concision.  (I just learned that word, didn't know there was a noun form for "concise")  I haven't played the Cycles since Week 22.  Wow.  17 weeks ago!  I can't tell if I'm depressed or happy.  It's confusing.

I felt pretty rusty on the Cycles (understandably) but I know I could do a great live performance of this with a little bit of practice.  The Cycles is so fun; I'm grateful WB forces me to play music at least once a week.  Some of these sounds feel simultaneously cold and warm to me.  Really captures my imagination.  I think I used a lot of these patches on an older song but I don't remember.

I got food poisoning on Friday and I had some plans for a guitar and drums song, but here we are writing and uploading on a Sunday, whaddaya gonna do, amirite?

My monitor speakers are freaking out again, I got in contact with the guy who repaired them, but now I have to find the service form in the total disaster of a basement!  Oh boy.  I started watching the WNBA playoffs and it is really fun.  There are a lot of openly LGBTQ people in the WNBA, and it's cool to see people "like me" playing pro sports.  The teams I like so far are: Phoenix Mercury, Connecticut Sun, Minnesota Lynx, and Seattle Storm.

I have these plans to go back to online performing but I'm delaying because I have a lot of anxiety about it.  And there is so much work to do.  Another day in the life of an artist, am I right folks?

September 28, 2020 3:39 am

Food poisoning is usually a very unhappy experience. I hope you recovered. This synth has some great sounds. Cool trip on this track!

September 28, 2020 4:00 am

Great track. I'm impressed you got so much from a single piece of gear!

September 28, 2020 5:42 am
Kedbreak136 wrote:

Thanks for listening!  I feel a lot better now.  Stomach pain is pretty tough for me; I think it's because it's central to your body, so it feels like you can't move without negatively disrupting things.  If anything, when my stomach is in normal health, I never think about it!  So today I am GRATEFUL for a happy stomach and will try to express my gratitude by giving it more water and vegetables and less chips and diet pop smile  The Model:Cycles is so crazily awesome - I finally have easy access to my long-admired FM sounds.

ekbatfoo wrote:

Great track. I'm impressed you got so much from a single piece of gear!

Thank you!  I feel like I'm only doing 50% of what it is capable of!!

September 28, 2020 7:09 am

Cool song orangedrink! I like your bass part a lot and also in 3:00 when you have only the beats. Good work smile

September 28, 2020 5:41 pm

I liked the way this track progressed.  It covers a lot of ground over its runtime and develops in interesting ways.  I'm with you on being grateful to WB for forcing me to play music.  I always feel better when I do, and sometimes during non-WB years I let myself go months without recording anything.

September 29, 2020 2:54 am

Damn man, super cool that this was done live. I've completely neglected all the sequencing features on my hardware gear and do everything in DAW but I'm always really impressed when I see people who can do all this stuff on social media/youtube.  I love the bass line on this, its got that big time bouncy FM sound to it.

September 29, 2020 3:44 am

Groovy! Sorry to hear about the setback – hope you're feeling better.

September 29, 2020 5:41 am

September 29, 2020 7:28 am

I have been looking for informations about the Model:Cycles instrument on youtube. It seems to be a nice stand alone machine with lots of power. I think you did a very good job in this track with it. The rhythm section is so cool in its variability, especially at 3:00. Really like it.

September 30, 2020 7:30 pm

That kick, the bouncy bass and those claps are quite tasty! Tight mix with a lot of nice space. Cool drum soloing breaks in the middle. Could listen to that on infinite loop!

October 1, 2020 5:58 pm

Super uplifting-hopeful bassline that caught my attention right away.  I wish I had your live drum maCHeen skillz.  Also I wish I had your drum machine tongue  Or that digitakt!  damn it!  That synth line is awesome!  Ooh the drum break down at 3min is catchy.  Like the dance floor just made way for the break dancers.  Something about this reminds me of Plaid's music too.  It has that bouncy playful yet badass feel to it.   Seriously that wavy synth is awesome.. Is that from the cycles too?  I wish I could perform live on the ut00bz.  But it would prob be me troubleshooting something the entire hour once I hit stream.  tongue  PS Concision is a helluva word might have to use that for a track name someday smile

October 1, 2020 6:47 pm

Sorry about your food poisioning. Glad you are better. That hi hat is cute, reminds me of the Volca Beats smile
Dude the drum breakdown in the middle rules! As does that whole second half!

October 5, 2020 12:22 am

Catchy tune! Can't believe this was all done live (minus the concision). The Model:Cycles is a beast.

This was me when the drum break hit:

October 7, 2020 11:06 pm

Also inspiring another shimmy shake dance. This has great groove, getting some great sounds from the Cycles!! Loe that change up middle section, get's a little nuts at 3:15 ish. Another week, another track and some more skillz, + less rust. Love it. When I watched your live perf. on YouTube, watching you perform on the Cycles was a highlight!