Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

I Miss Myself

By orangedrink on January 31, 2020 10:58 am

I FINISHED BEFORE SUNDAY
I FINISHED BEFORE SUNDAY
I FINISHED BEFORE SUNDAY


I am excited to have a free weekend for the first time since........a long time.  The song/title is about feeling so profoundly lonely it feels as if you have died and you are grieving your own self.  I had a really emotionally exhausting day today, but a very good one.  I think I was depressed for the past few days as a result of not having any free time or time to talk to anyone, but I really turned the corner today and feel good.  Shoutouts to my husband for listening to me talk about my feelings for over an hour without interrupting.  What a trooper.  I can't wait to relax this weekend!


This song is Digitakt, Jazzmaster electric guitar, Fender Squire electric bass, and Juno JU-06A.  I absolutely adore the JU-06A.  The detuning is so fun.  It makes some dissonant moments with the guitars, but I like that.  I think it fits with the topic of the song because it is like you are there, and then you slip out of phase and have gone missing.  The Digitakt is also a lot of fun.  I set an LFO to filter the hi-hat at an uneven pace, attempting to give the feel of tip/shaft stick playing on a real hi-hat.  I can't believe it is week 5 and I haven't played a signature guitar arpeggio.  I really am trying to force myself to break habits and do things that don't "sound like me".  I tried to keep this like a four-piece band and have no production effects, meaning a band could recreate this exactly in a live setting, aside from the volume fade out.  I almost had the outro double in length, but I don't want to overstay the welcome.


Thanks to everyone who has left comments, I love how supportive everyone is.  If anyone has any ideas on how I can get better at mixing and mastering, other than doing it a million times, let me know!


This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
February 3, 2020 4:34 am

Dude. Don't drop a tune on us like THAT and then ask us how to get good at mixing. Really really dug the whole thing, love the sunset style guitar riff at the end accompanied by the smooth bass. Everything just fits real nice! I've had very similar feelings for awhile lately about missing who I "really" am and sure enough like every 2 years, WeeklyBeats is reminding me. I'm "happy". I'm going to bed thinking about tomorrow, rather than just dwelling on today or whatever. It's refreshing! Hope those vibes stay with you Orange smile

February 3, 2020 5:04 am

When I think about you I miss myself what? Really warm track and kind of crunchy. b o o m !

February 3, 2020 12:16 pm

Oof. I feel definitely feel that song/title in my bones. Thanks for sharing.

February 3, 2020 1:24 pm

Love the guitar that closes out the piece. Really enjoyed this. smile

February 3, 2020 3:04 pm

Daaaamn! Those juno chords flow really well with the guitars, love the mixture of harmony and dissonance you've got goin' on here! smile

February 3, 2020 7:06 pm

Yeah, you loving that Juno. Sounds great! But I think the bass and Jazzmaster guitar tone are my favorite parts. Beautifully blended and kind of lend a dreamy quality against the Juno. Songs got a lot of feeling to it. Hope you enjoyed the weekend and the upcoming week.  Shout out to your husband. A good partner is everything! Especially one that tolerates any form of artist.

February 3, 2020 9:57 pm

I really dig this! Really love the guitar and bass tones, and that melody that comes in at the end is ace!

I had a real Juno 60 and sold it a few years ago to buy an Octatrack. I don't regret it, because I use the Octatrack much more than I ever used the Juno, but I do miss it sometimes. I should pick up a JU-06A at some point.

February 5, 2020 3:24 am

That surf sound on the guit... smile . Really like the Bass line. Good work again, congrats.

February 6, 2020 10:32 am

That sudden guitar though, good stuff.

February 6, 2020 7:02 pm

February 7, 2020 1:59 am

I think this is still a surf song because of the jazzmaster but even it wasn't a surf song I still would have loved it. The pad sound compliments the bass so well. Glad you are feeling better too.

February 7, 2020 8:46 am

the ju-06a sounds great! of course you took it to Detune City which gives it a bit of a light trax vibe

and that second kick drum that comes in half way is CRESCENT FRESH

February 9, 2020 6:49 pm
Tweaklab wrote:

Dude. Don't drop a tune on us like THAT and then ask us how to get good at mixing. Really really dug the whole thing, love the sunset style guitar riff at the end accompanied by the smooth bass. Everything just fits real nice! I've had very similar feelings for awhile lately about missing who I "really" am and sure enough like every 2 years, WeeklyBeats is reminding me. I'm "happy". I'm going to bed thinking about tomorrow, rather than just dwelling on today or whatever. It's refreshing! Hope those vibes stay with you Orange smile

just want to second the - "Don't drop a tune on us like THAT and then ask us how to get good at mixing."

your mixes/masters have a nice quality to them & always fit well with the type of song you are making
happy you talked your feels out!  love your gif

February 12, 2020 11:28 am

Digging the restless vibe, with the shuffling beat and the meandering chords.

February 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Bass guitar reminds me of youth. Love when the guitar comes in, good melody. Enjoying this.

Ipaghost wrote:

^^ And this is one of my all time fave gifs!!

February 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Excellent drum work and that bassline is addictive.  It keeps the track moving.  That guitar melody though just totally completes the track.  Also your mixing/mastering sounds perfect to me. 

May 2, 2020 4:12 pm

Excellent, love it!
Especially the middle section, with that cool Offbeat

June 27, 2020 12:53 am
Tweaklab wrote:

Dude. Don't drop a tune on us like THAT and then ask us how to get good at mixing. Really really dug the whole thing, love the sunset style guitar riff at the end accompanied by the smooth bass. Everything just fits real nice! I've had very similar feelings for awhile lately about missing who I "really" am and sure enough like every 2 years, WeeklyBeats is reminding me. I'm "happy". I'm going to bed thinking about tomorrow, rather than just dwelling on today or whatever. It's refreshing! Hope those vibes stay with you Orange smile

WELL SHUCKS

Podling wrote:

When I think about you I miss myself what? Really warm track and kind of crunchy. b o o m !

Ha ha, I caught that song reference.  TY

kevanatkins wrote:

Oof. I feel definitely feel that song/title in my bones. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

hent03 wrote:

Love the guitar that closes out the piece. Really enjoyed this. smile

I was really excited by the idea, almost didn't do it.

Mortistar wrote:

Daaaamn! Those juno chords flow really well with the guitars, love the mixture of harmony and dissonance you've got goin' on here! smile

Thanks so much

NWSPR wrote:

Yeah, you loving that Juno. Sounds great! But I think the bass and Jazzmaster guitar tone are my favorite parts. Beautifully blended and kind of lend a dreamy quality against the Juno. Songs got a lot of feeling to it. Hope you enjoyed the weekend and the upcoming week.  Shout out to your husband. A good partner is everything! Especially one that tolerates any form of artist.

I don't know how he tolerates my nonsense, but he is a saint!

roboctopus wrote:

I really dig this! Really love the guitar and bass tones, and that melody that comes in at the end is ace!

I had a real Juno 60 and sold it a few years ago to buy an Octatrack. I don't regret it, because I use the Octatrack much more than I ever used the Juno, but I do miss it sometimes. I should pick up a JU-06A at some point.

It would be awesome to have an original Juno, but I don't have that kind of money and I don't want the headache of upkeep!

djippy wrote:

That surf sound on the guit... smile . Really like the Bass line. Good work again, congrats.

TY - it's all about the Holy Grail reverb on the guit

Devieus wrote:

That sudden guitar though, good stuff.

Thanks, friend smile

June 27, 2020 12:58 am
Ipaghost wrote:

That's how I look, trying to play instruments, looking cute

Ryan wrote:

I think this is still a surf song because of the jazzmaster but even it wasn't a surf song I still would have loved it. The pad sound compliments the bass so well. Glad you are feeling better too.

Thanks SURF GOD

zirafa wrote:

the ju-06a sounds great! of course you took it to Detune City which gives it a bit of a light trax vibe

and that second kick drum that comes in half way is CRESCENT FRESH

AYOO I'm all about Detune City and that secret extra kick waveform shape thank you so much for noticing that kind of stuff heart

emily wrote:
Tweaklab wrote:

Dude. Don't drop a tune on us like THAT and then ask us how to get good at mixing. Really really dug the whole thing, love the sunset style guitar riff at the end accompanied by the smooth bass. Everything just fits real nice! I've had very similar feelings for awhile lately about missing who I "really" am and sure enough like every 2 years, WeeklyBeats is reminding me. I'm "happy". I'm going to bed thinking about tomorrow, rather than just dwelling on today or whatever. It's refreshing! Hope those vibes stay with you Orange smile

just want to second the - "Don't drop a tune on us like THAT and then ask us how to get good at mixing."

your mixes/masters have a nice quality to them & always fit well with the type of song you are making
happy you talked your feels out!  love your gif

Y'all are too kind - I need to quote you in my next press release.  "Emily says, "Hire Drew for your next project!"

Futsies wrote:

Digging the restless vibe, with the shuffling beat and the meandering chords.

Restless is a perfect way to describe it, thank you.

miraclemiles wrote:

Bass guitar reminds me of youth. Love when the guitar comes in, good melody. Enjoying this.

Ipaghost wrote:

^^ And this is one of my all time fave gifs!!

Wow, such a stunning sentiment "reminds me of youth" - that is actually deeply flattering, wow

Did you actually know of that gif beforehand?  lol

Tone Matrix wrote:

Excellent drum work and that bassline is addictive.  It keeps the track moving.  That guitar melody though just totally completes the track.  Also your mixing/mastering sounds perfect to me.

Man, you guys are so supportive and awesome!  I wish you all were venue booking agents and music website reviewers, HA!

m2K7 wrote:

Excellent, love it!
Especially the middle section, with that cool Offbeat

Glad you like it - you are the king of offbeat in your work!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up