Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Speak

By miraclemiles on May 3, 2020 11:09 pm

Created with a limitation this week: only work with sounds I've never heard before. I love opening something new in Live, dropping in simpler and jamming on the Push, or using new instruments others have created and just seeing where the sounds wants to go. It was an excuse to dig into sample folders and download new instruments I haven't played with yet.

Then I added some vocals, more than usual. I'm not too excited about how the vocal sound came out, but hey, learning and experimenting every week! Much was improvised messing around as usual, but actually wrote some words down too. Always good idea to speak up about important things, and breaking free from those invisible shackles. I like the idea that in quarantine here we are the hosts of our own parties, and for me, and many of us, creating songs every week is the best way to stay sane and feel good!

The new-to-me sounds I used: Two sample-based instrument creations from Brian Funk. I use a lot of his creations. He releases a lot of good free stuff and has a good podcast. The first he made from the Polish radio experimental studio samples Ableton released for their Loop at home activities: https://brianfunk.com/blog/2020/4/25/loopathome-free-ableton-live-pack-196-polish-radio-experimental-studio
The other was from sounds he got from Hainbach. Interesting interview on his podcast: https://brianfunk.com/blog/2020/4/22/free-ableton-live-pack-195-hainbach-isolation-instruments
Then some synths from Max for Cats Stray Cats collection that Ableton just made free.
Finally grabbled more drum, keys, string, and voice samples from sample packs that came from Noiiz.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
May 4, 2020 10:44 am

love the mixture of funk, hiphop, speach and experimental things. it sounds supercool. well done, miracle m.

May 4, 2020 2:24 pm

Great idea, I'm thinking of doing some music with no pianos allowed lol. Brainfunk is a great way to describe this, that drum groove with the distorted vibe and snappy percussion is really satisfying to listen to.

May 6, 2020 11:45 pm
Q-Rosh wrote:

love the mixture of funk, hiphop, speach and experimental things. it sounds supercool. well done, miracle m.

Thanks very much! I like mixing those things together, lucky when it works, glad you liked!

hieme wrote:

Great idea, I'm thinking of doing some music with no pianos allowed lol. Brainfunk is a great way to describe this, that drum groove with the distorted vibe and snappy percussion is really satisfying to listen to.

Awesome, thanks! yeah, limitations are fun, no piano would probably be a fun one for you to try! Thanks for listening!

May 7, 2020 10:16 pm

super sick hip hop beat - i love your limitations - check out Prefuse 73 if you haven't for some experimental hip-hop vocal cut ups!

TELL ME ABOUT IT

tellmeboutit

TELL ME ABOUT IT

love the weird thing at the beginning and end, fluttering

May 8, 2020 1:41 pm

Love the crunchy beat and the money mark-ish sounding keys.  Def hear a bit of Prefuse 73 in there too.  It's always fun to experiment with new sounds.  Lately there are so many free packs coming out I find myself downloading way more than I should be using them.  I'm technically still organizing my sample/preset downloads and have to remind myself to stop and actually unzip the damn thing and open it in Live.  I think I have 'fear_of_missing_out_on_free_schtuff" tongue 

May 11, 2020 12:24 am
orangedrink wrote:

super sick hip hop beat - i love your limitations - check out Prefuse 73 if you haven't for some experimental hip-hop vocal cut ups!

TELL ME ABOUT IT

tellmeboutit

TELL ME ABOUT IT

love the weird thing at the beginning and end, fluttering

But seriously, I need you to ...

Tell. Me. ABOUT IT!! smile

I love Prefuse! That fluttering sound was a Max for Cats synth from that free pack. Yep yep, thanks very much!

Tone Matrix wrote:

Love the crunchy beat and the money mark-ish sounding keys.  Def hear a bit of Prefuse 73 in there too.  It's always fun to experiment with new sounds.  Lately there are so many free packs coming out I find myself downloading way more than I should be using them.  I'm technically still organizing my sample/preset downloads and have to remind myself to stop and actually unzip the damn thing and open it in Live.  I think I have 'fear_of_missing_out_on_free_schtuff" tongue

Thanks! I love hearing prefuse mention, big fan, and love me some money mark on the keys too! Agree, playing with new sounds is so fun. So much out there, it can be a lot, and can be a distraction to actually creating too, I've been there. I have lots of stuff haven't even tried yet. The FOMOOFS is real! tongue


May 11, 2020 12:27 am

S stands for SCHUTFF

May 11, 2020 7:41 pm
orangedrink wrote:

S stands for SCHUTFF

Lol. New song title right there!

May 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Sounds like a good way to push yourself in new directions.  I've always felt like limitations can actually be really good for creativity.  You've definitely created a good brew of various styles and sounds and it does feel like a party. 

May 12, 2020 2:22 am

I love the vox, the lyrics, and the clonky organ. The bass is boomin' too.

May 12, 2020 10:40 pm

Man, the vocals sound really cool. Nice funky soulful jam!

May 17, 2020 7:28 pm

nice!

May 18, 2020 12:35 am
Tone Matrix wrote:

'fear_of_missing_out_on_free_schtuff"

MiracleMiles, so you mentioned the Stray Cats collection last week, and then Tone Matrix got it and used it this week, and now I downloaded it today!  YOU'RE SPREADING THE MUSICAL VIRUS, MIRACLEMILES

May 21, 2020 9:41 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

Sounds like a good way to push yourself in new directions.  I've always felt like limitations can actually be really good for creativity.  You've definitely created a good brew of various styles and sounds and it does feel like a party.

Thanks! I agree, limitations lead the goodness. Glad you liked this party brew - if I can brew up something fun for a party its win in my book.

license wrote:

I love the vox, the lyrics, and the clonky organ. The bass is boomin' too.

Thanks! Glad you dig ... never sure about those vox, and getting bass to boom is always the goal, but don't always pull it off!

NWSPR wrote:

Man, the vocals sound really cool. Nice funky soulful jam!

Thanks so much, funky and soulful are excellent compliments I appreciate! And really appreciate hearing if the vocals sound ok. Hmmm, I may just have to keep trying more vox then!

kaedo sevaada wrote:

nice!

Yeah! Cheers, thanks!

orangedrink wrote:
Tone Matrix wrote:

'fear_of_missing_out_on_free_schtuff"

MiracleMiles, so you mentioned the Stray Cats collection last week, and then Tone Matrix got it and used it this week, and now I downloaded it today!  YOU'RE SPREADING THE MUSICAL VIRUS, MIRACLEMILES

Mwahaha, yes let us all try the awesome new sounds! The FOMOOFS is real! Max for Cats's work is worth spreading and knowing about too!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up