Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2024 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / miraclemiles's music / small selves disappear

small selves disappear

By miraclemiles on June 30, 2024 11:53 pm

When faced with the massiveness of the ocean, of the mountains, of nature, our small selves can disappear. When those small selves -- those little complaining, worrying naysaying, doubting small insignificant selves -- disappear, we feel a little peace. I'm grateful to have had some time away from work and the usual life grind last week. Watched and listened to the ocean. Rode bikes and walked through forests, looked at mountains and rivers and felt those moments of peace.
Back home this weekend and did a little jam with some gear, playing with the looper. Not exactly the super peaceful flow I may have thought I'd do, but this is what came out at the time, so it gets to be this week's track. Did some quick vocal sounds with words like what I wrote above. Playing with Ableton's vocoder with various other sounds from the track as the carrier. I think I'll do more vocoder fun in the weeks to come.
Looking forward to hearing everyone's music this week. It will brighten my day as I begrudgingly go back to work. Hope the season is treating you all well!

Audio works licensed by author under:
CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

I love the polyrhythms, the weirdness, the grooves, the good vibes and the sunshine in here.

i really like how the groove deepens around 2:18, nice move there
very much missing the ocean this week, thanks for bringing a bit of it to us

Some cool, unexpected, and weird sounds popping up in here.  I can almost imagine some weird fish in the deep ocean jamming to this.  And, yes, it can strangely feel good sometimes to realize how insignificant we are.

Glad to hear you had a nice break from things, also on vacation this week in Kelowna and Vancouver.  Some really nice flow with the drums and cool/wobbly sounds coming in at 0:50 followed by the tabla? like percussion and almost sounds like a Harmonium.

Q-Rosh wrote:

I love the polyrhythms, the weirdness, the grooves, the good vibes and the sunshine in here.

Thank you! I LOVE that you found all that. I think weird, good vibes and sunshine can coexist, and that's my happy place.

jwh wrote:

i really like how the groove deepens around 2:18, nice move there
very much missing the ocean this week, thanks for bringing a bit of it to us

Thanks for listening! I had to go listen again to hear the groove, yes, great observation, Now I wanna extend that! Appreciate your note. Yess the ocean. I'm missing it already. steady flow, on we GO!

Cosmic Cairns wrote:

Some cool, unexpected, and weird sounds popping up in here.  I can almost imagine some weird fish in the deep ocean jamming to this.  And, yes, it can strangely feel good sometimes to realize how insignificant we are.

Yay, happy there was some unexpected and weird, I like that. And oh yes, this is for the weird fish in the ocean for sure. Good callout. Thanks!

Jason Nijjer wrote:

Glad to hear you had a nice break from things, also on vacation this week in Kelowna and Vancouver.  Some really nice flow with the drums and cool/wobbly sounds coming in at 0:50 followed by the tabla? like percussion and almost sounds like a Harmonium.

Vacations are the best. I vote for more of them. Kelowna and Vancouver, awesome! I haven't been up to Kelowna yet, but only about 5 hours from me down in Spokane, I gotta go, looks lovely.
Glad you liked some of the drum flow and sounds in this! yeah most percussion from the Roland handsonic, some of the Indian category presets, so tabla, but also some other drum "kits" of sounds the put together. I click around and bang on that thing a lot lately. I often like a lot of the Indian sounds they picked, probably a harmonium yeh.
Enjoy the vacay!

I'm glad to hear you had such a relaxing time, I feel like I can hear that more expansive state here, maybe when the small self quiets down there's more space for beautiful weirdness and play.

Fun track, really interesting collection of sounds.  I really like the thing that sounds like a harmonium ... maybe a melodica... or I guess a harmonica... that first comes in around 1:24.  That, along with the kind of toy piano sounds, has like a Simone the Maggpie vibe to it, in the best way.  It is interesting that this is the piece you made after being out in a quite natural space... kind of makes sense to me though... it's very much how the city world feels to me after being out in nature for and extended time... sounds a little like reacclimating to the hustle and bustle of modern life.

Yay! Bike gang. Cool vocoder explorations. I've been playing with them a bit myself. The track is an interesting collage of sounds.

Minnamari wrote:

I'm glad to hear you had such a relaxing time, I feel like I can hear that more expansive state here, maybe when the small self quiets down there's more space for beautiful weirdness and play.

Thank you thank you! yes yes, that's the quest. To quiet the small self. To let what comes out live, the play the weirdness, all of it!

Napear wrote:

Fun track, really interesting collection of sounds.  I really like the thing that sounds like a harmonium ... maybe a melodica... or I guess a harmonica... that first comes in around 1:24.  That, along with the kind of toy piano sounds, has like a Simone the Maggpie vibe to it, in the best way.  It is interesting that this is the piece you made after being out in a quite natural space... kind of makes sense to me though... it's very much how the city world feels to me after being out in nature for and extended time... sounds a little like reacclimating to the hustle and bustle of modern life.

Thank you, love this. I forget what that sound was. Hmm, I gotta go see what I used. I like Simon the Magpie. Have only once listened to his music and enjoyed, but have watched the videos a lot. Yeah I was a little surprised I made this, but you're spot on in the observation about reaclimation. love that.

ENC_ wrote:

Yay! Bike gang. Cool vocoder explorations. I've been playing with them a bit myself. The track is an interesting collage of sounds.

Bike gang forever! Yes! I love me some vocoder. Just heard your track with some, sounded great! Thanks for listening!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up