WeeklyBeats.com / Music / license's music / Octagonal Caustics (probably nasty on headphones)

Octagonal Caustics (probably nasty on headphones)

By license on February 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Sorry, no big bass this week, and I fear this may be unlistenable for most. I'm continuing my SuperCollider studies and I spent the largest chunk of my free time this week working on this, so I thought it was more sincere (not to mention way easier) to just record this, put a bow on it, and call it this week's submission.

This was originally going to be just a fake LFSR (think Gameboy, NES) voice based on looped noise. With some help from some folks much more knowledgeable at SC, I managed to implement that, but by that time I'd already started down some tangents that were more interesting, so I just kind of indulged them. The result is pretty boring and probably nasty, but I learned a lot putting this together.

The "composition" is really sparse and frankly lazy. The diminished scale to me is kind of the "dark twin" of major pentatonic (maybe "all wrong notes" instead of "no wrong notes"), and the chords/arpeggios are just simple shapes moving randomly along the scale.

For my next SC thing, I'd like to put more effort into making it performance-friendly so I can use a MIDI controller instead of evaluating lines of code to change it as it plays. Also I'd like to spend more time making the composition interesting and breaking things into a "sweet spot" of modularity. Easier said than done, though.

If anyone actually listens to this and cares to hear more detail, I'd be happy to dive deeper smile

Zero hardware processing this time - all in the box (pretty rare for me!) The only editing was normalizing and trimming silence at the start and end.

This submission is licensed by author under CC0 Creative Commons Zero (Public Domain)

February 17, 2020 1:03 pm

has a great system music feeling... again, it feels like having a life of its own. Music for thinking smile

February 17, 2020 5:07 pm
Ashen Simian wrote:

I greatly appreciate this as I'm still pretty new to this approach. The delta between what's interesting to me while I'm interacting with and building it vs. what's nice to listen to is a bit different than with hardware jams or the DAW.

I don't have a whole lot of reference points for system music (Autechre, Acreil, Mark Fell, and Keith Fullerton Whitman come to mind), but I would love some recommendations smile

February 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Woo Supercollider! Love to spend more time with it. love the chimey wines playing along with the noisy saw. Sines and FM always sound so beautiful in a digital system, like windchimes blowing from the CPU fan haha

Love to hear some Systems Music recommendations too!

February 17, 2020 11:19 pm
lysdexic wrote:

Thank you! Windchimes are exactly what I think of when I set up stuff like this playing random notes from a scale/chord smile

February 18, 2020 9:18 am

This actually reminds me of some of favourite Japanese composers Toru Takemitsu and Toshi Ichiyanagi. It almost sounds like there are multiple harmonic structures happening simultaneously and moving in their own direction. It is a really comforting sea of tonality to wade in, I like it.

February 18, 2020 1:40 pm
Ryan wrote:

Thank you for the kind words and for the recommendations.

February 18, 2020 4:59 pm

this sounds so cool, really interesting tones, great work with supercollider, really nice variety of sounds

February 18, 2020 7:57 pm

All I have is headphones, I'm scared! Nah, all good!  Interesting sounds and compo, Good distorted fuzz going on. I'm staring at a backlog of Jira cases now and kinds of spaced out for a while ... what a trip. Cool title.

February 19, 2020 2:44 pm
Bleeoop wrote:

Thank you for the kind words.

miraclemiles wrote:

Thank you! Trawling a Jira backlog sounds like about the right situation for listening to this, although I think the vague unresolved tension would make me doubt every single story point estimate.

February 19, 2020 5:59 pm

This is neat and especially enjoyable with headphones. Great stuff!

February 23, 2020 5:24 am

Some very enjoyable harmonies and I'm a fan of those FM tones.  WB is great for uploading those experiments or things you've been working on mid week.  Cool to listen back too also!

February 23, 2020 7:38 pm
Sodabelly wrote:

This is neat and especially enjoyable with headphones. Great stuff!

Wow, thanks! Glad it didn't injure anyone wink

rdomain wrote:

Thank you and I agree about the experiments. This year I'm quickly getting comfortable with just uploading whatever I happen to have done that week instead of making a big production out of it.

February 24, 2020 2:52 am

Nice! Love coming across folks here using SC or similar things. This is totally listenable!

February 24, 2020 3:42 am
Simon Koehn wrote:

Thank you! I'm surprised more people aren't using SC; I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm still in diapers when it comes to SC, though, so the encouragement is very much appreciated.

February 24, 2020 6:47 am

dig these kinds of experiments. very listenable on headphones

February 24, 2020 2:33 pm
zirafa wrote:

dig these kinds of experiments. very listenable on headphones

February 26, 2020 11:33 pm

Alien music! They're comin'! I heard it on my radio! This would go great with some sampling over it or visual accompaniment smile