WeeklyBeats.com / Music / laguna's music / Weird kid lookin' at cha

Weird kid lookin' at cha

By laguna on February 12, 2018 12:01 am

Well, I don't know if I must feel proud or embarrased about this one. I think it's kinda fun but pretty weird, and as usual I would have loved to add some more melodies to it, because it was basically born as a ProTracker exercised that was then moved to FastTracker (running on DOSBox within Retropie on a Raspberry Pi!)...

I miss some kind of peaceful pad over it or something, though the cuts were added last minute using a lot of pitched down "atmospheric" noise effects of cristals and glass items. Original samples were taken from the "Chaos" part of the classic Budbrain megademo, back from the Amiga days (in case anyone remembers).

Cooked over about 5 hours prior to the deadline. I spent most of the time restoring some "bright and life" to those original 8 bit samples, and I wonder if I should use clean synths instead of this sonic overequalized mess smile

I was aiming to the excellent Grillo/Ecso type of sound but ended like this, so go figure...

Hope you find it kinda funny smile

UPDATE: I actually revisited it and added some extra elements and some extra tweaks. Please have a listen smile

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

February 19, 2018 1:14 am

Big Sounds! Love the beat. Nice slower groove. Great samples.  Be proud... cool track!

February 19, 2018 1:38 am

The track wants what the track wants. Great results, and a very powerful mix.

February 19, 2018 3:20 am

vibes smile i'm happy with where it wound up!

February 19, 2018 3:38 am
NWSPR wrote:

Jim Wood wrote:

The track wants what the track wants. Great results, and a very powerful mix.

starpause wrote:

vibes smile i'm happy with where it wound up!

Hey Guys, thank you for the quick feedback. I actually didn't gave up and continued tweaking some more. Please have a listen at the updated Soundcloud version.

Thanks again for the kind words. It really means something that you find the early version amusing enough

February 19, 2018 9:11 am

Oh mah gawd. I instantly recognized these samples. I don't know often I started tracks with these samples in my Protracker times. The bass still kills.

I love the way you spaced out the whole thing. If Protracker was missing one thing it was proper stereo control. smile

February 19, 2018 11:17 am

I think what this song could use is a guitar, or if you're feeling silly, a banjo; it might enhance the Caribbean feel to it that's going on.

February 19, 2018 1:45 pm
halfbyte wrote:

Oh yes! Do you remember those "kick + hihat" combos we've got to use in order to save memory and/or add some swing? I, to this day, still use both my real Amigas and emulation, hand on hand. Of course sometimes Protracker is so limiting and lofi that it's really hard to do an "ortodox" 4 channel hard panned .MOD, but I think the sound is so unique ...

Glad you liked it "spaced". Sounded like a mess to me last night, but after a night sleep, feels quite dubby, for a lack of a better word

Devieus wrote:

Oh, I would know how or where to place a guitar in here. I feel it's quite messy right know. Surprised about that "caribbean" feel you hear, just because I intended to make a hip hop banger and ended with ... well, with this vaguely dancehall vibe.

Thanks for listening and commenting, Devieus

February 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Maybe I'm just not versed in the dance scene; I think it may be the bass line being reggae-like, which is also why I think a guitar would fit nicely in it.

February 19, 2018 2:36 pm
Devieus wrote:

Oh yes! I meant my intention was to do it more hip hop but those layers and the delays turn it somewhat vaguely jamaican. Nothing against guitars, it's just that I'm a pretty lousy guitar player myself, and wouldn't dare to touch a banjo... that's for real performers, a really difficult instrument from my point of view smile

February 19, 2018 2:40 pm
laguna wrote:
Devieus wrote:

They got VSTs for that, also to make it more hip-hop.

February 19, 2018 9:26 pm

great groove

February 20, 2018 9:27 am
budmelvin wrote:

great groove

Thank you Budmelvin!

February 20, 2018 11:06 am

Catching beat and nice soundselection!

February 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Great beat! Love the hypnotic groove and the deep and bouncy bassline big_smile

February 23, 2018 9:00 am
theGuen wrote:

Catching beat and nice soundselection!

Thank you mate! Glad you dig it smile

Gab Manette wrote:

Great beat! Love the hypnotic groove and the deep and bouncy bassline big_smile

Thank you man! This started as a different type of groove, and I think it's mostly happy accidents

February 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Catchy bassline with that thick beat!  I like the vocal chant too.  It has a Gorillaz sorta feel to it with the percussion, nice!

February 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Yeah!!! Great dub. Summerfeelings arriving.

March 5, 2018 12:49 am
Tone Matrix wrote:

Well, I'm not very familiar with Gorillaz music, but this one's my favourite from my own WB. It's far from perfect, but I'm happy it ended being something better that I had in mind... like arriving to an unexpected place

Q-Rosh wrote:

Yeah!!! Great dub. Summerfeelings arriving.

It is our duty to bring more toasting and dubbing to WB, Selecta!. Some wirtual summer sun

April 1, 2018 12:35 pm