WeeklyBeats.com / Music / laguna's music / Rat chant (a Chinese New Year beat)

Rat chant (a Chinese New Year beat)

By laguna on February 9, 2020 10:49 pm

My third song/video combo in a row! Maybe I went too heavy on nerdy details, so let me know, please!

Last January, the 26th, the Chinese community celebrated the New Year. I was there taking pictures and videos like any other guy.

I know it's been a couple of weeks, but since I'm learning the craft of videography, I thought to take the direct audio from those casual recordings and make something about them.

I didn't have much time to work on it and decided not to overthink it. Maybe it's too monotone and basic, and I don't know it sounds punchy enough. Please let me know your thoughts, people!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

February 10, 2020 12:54 am

Ahh that sounds so good, I'd love to go to China. Not monotone at all my dude, the drum processing you did on this is soo good, I love that organic feel. The instrumental stuff is a lovely touch too heart Looking forward to the video! (P.S. ninjabaka made it over, all thanks to your shoutout to his yt! Nice!)

February 10, 2020 1:28 am

I'm looking forward to seeing the video, that beat is really cool and I want to see how it was made smile

February 10, 2020 2:09 am
hieme wrote:

Ahh that sounds so good, I'd love to go to China. Not monotone at all my dude, the drum processing you did on this is soo good, I love that organic feel. The instrumental stuff is a lovely touch too <3 Looking forward to the video! (P.S. ninjabaka made it over, all thanks to your shoutout to his yt! Nice!)

Video is online, my man!!! You can see it in the description

Thanks a lot for the positive vibes and the feedback. I also would love to visit China (so much to see...)

I'm really glad I was useful and could bring Ninjabaka back. His synthwave skills were really appreciated!

I now have to up my game and don't be rendering last minute. Also... video gets my computers quite hotter than what audio did!!! Guess I need many more hours of practice

February 10, 2020 2:15 am
ViridianLoom wrote:

Video is online! It took longer than expected to render it, sorry!

Not sure if I could describe it properly. I'm still quite new to this whole video thing and didn't wanted to turn this one into a tutorial (also was running out of time).

Please let me know if it's somewhat lacking on actual details, or maybe in "getting to the point".

And thanks for listening and the nice feedback!!!

February 10, 2020 3:09 am

Great video!  I like the explanations you provide and something mesmerizing about watching all the clips being added to Ableton.  Agree with how you sparingly used the bursts of melody to break up the beat.

February 10, 2020 4:00 am

Wow, this is phenomenal! I really enjoyed watching the video about your workflow too, keep it up smile

February 10, 2020 5:44 am

Hell yeah. This was dope.

February 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Ah I think I missed your last few tracks, I'll have to go listen now!

Anyway this is plenty punchy, I really dig this track! The 'Hey!' is perfect and I love any Asian instrumentation so this checks all the boxes for me.

February 11, 2020 7:50 pm

February 12, 2020 9:40 am
Jason Nijjer wrote:

Thanks a lot, Jason! Yeah, I thought that just looping "some chinese sounding stuff" and calling it a day would be almost tacky, so I prefer this "trap chant" thingie.

Mission Crossing wrote:

Glad you dig it, Mission Crossing! I am posting the video in some Reddit channels trying to appeal to the production nerds like us wink

ecso wrote:

Hell yeah. This was dope.

Thank you, man! I must put your "fake VHS" teachings to use in a future episode

Sodabelly wrote:

Ah I think I missed your last few tracks, I'll have to go listen now!

Thanks for the compliments and the recent feedback. You are killing it with your last hip hop/downtempo releases.

At the beginning I was more centered in those metal cymbal/crash things. It wasn't until I reviewd the footage I realised "maybe" I could do something with those "heys" (is it too much like rippin' "The Art of Noise"?)

Ipaghost wrote:

I should be checking your last releases instead of working, man! Thanks a lot!

Now a friendly rat for ya:

February 15, 2020 7:14 pm

February 15, 2020 8:48 pm

great sampling love the rhythm you made out of those drums and adding that bass kick gave it nice bounce. i wanted to hear more of that tradition Chinese melody, but none the less this is awesome.

February 17, 2020 12:19 am

LAGUNA THIS IS SO COOL!!

February 17, 2020 11:59 am

Fantastic work on this!

February 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Woah super creative idea!  I enjoyed watching the process too.  You're a pro with the warping in Ableton.  I've never been comfortable with warping.  I always feel like I mess up the feel when trying to rearrange it.  Excellent use of the samples, especially the drums.