Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Clearing

By kevanatkins on May 31, 2016 5:21 pm

I had to use Logic for a uni assignment. That involved me trying remember how to use Logic, which I stopped using 8 years ago... Cuz it made me say naughty words. Pfff. But this happened in the process of working this out and some personal things... I feel better. You win this time Logic.

PS: No track for last week. I was out for the count for a couple of days. A bunch of bugs coalesced and got the better of me. Right on the day of a performance that I was preparing for for weeks. Had to pull out backstage and go home. Very disappointing.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
June 6, 2016 2:17 am

this is very unique and sounds great!

June 6, 2016 8:47 pm

Great stuff, sounds to me like you won, not Logic.
Sorry to hear you had to pull out of the performance.

June 7, 2016 1:33 am
george bowles wrote:

this is very unique and sounds great!

Plantrain wrote:

Great stuff, sounds to me like you won, not Logic.
Sorry to hear you had to pull out of the performance.

Well, thank you. :-)

June 7, 2016 9:50 pm

Sorry to hear the performance didn't went as planned. What a bummer!

Intriguing sonic landscape here, I'm picturing a wild modular patch and not a Logic arrangement at all. Never "got" Logic myself neither, although people says it sounds great (and maybe it does).

The second part when those dreamy "rhody" bells came in are really great. Is that an acoustic bass? So deep...

June 8, 2016 12:06 pm

love the bass

June 9, 2016 4:13 am
laguna wrote:

Sorry to hear the performance didn't went as planned. What a bummer!

Intriguing sonic landscape here, I'm picturing a wild modular patch and not a Logic arrangement at all. Never "got" Logic myself neither, although people says it sounds great (and maybe it does).

The second part when those dreamy "rhody" bells came in are really great. Is that an acoustic bass? So deep...

It's less a matter of "getting it" for me and more a dislike for it. It's great piece of software if you are into that workflow. It's funny you mention modular. Even outside of modular environments, I do tend to think in a modular way. The idea of being able to change the topology of my instrument/environment has always been very appealing to me. Even with software like Ableton, which does suggest a workflow, it always allows it to be subverted. Logic can be bent a little but in doing so, I find I'm fighting it a lot more. I'm stubborn enough that I still drew out what I wanted from it, though.

I don't have Logic on my own computer, I had to do it at uni. From recollection, I think just made a patch in ES1 for the bass with a filtered saw, which I think I double with a sine oscillator and then I played in what came to mind. Rhodes was just the built-in Rhodes emulation, which I also played in despite a real Rhodes being right next to me. However the assignment explicitely stated MIDI instruments only They were the last things I did, so by this stage I was pretty sure what I was going for and already pretty firmly seated in that A pedal/dorian kind of vibe. Especially since the first synth element was the NI Absynth patch I made with the tuned comb filter at 220Hz. Most things were played in except for the drums which I had to sequence a fair bit of without the grid because it didn't support the subdivisions I needed, which sucks a lot. I think I treated them with some distortion and some delayed pitch-shifting. Apart from that, I think the opening is the Solina string emulation from Arturia.

I was a little bit cheeky. I enrolled in a production subject to help burn some course credits in my BMus despite my having done audio/productionin various capacities for over a decade and I do it for a job. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't touch Logic with a 20 ft pole. It makes me feel icky.

June 9, 2016 9:42 am
kevanatkins wrote:

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't touch Logic with a 20 ft pole. It makes me feel icky.

Thanks for the long reply. Those are my feeling for certain versions of the modern Cubase. I usually dislike those "USB key" software which "treats you like a thief" though I'm running an original version and use Hatari to run Creator and the O.G. Cubase under Linux emulation.

June 9, 2016 11:02 am
laguna wrote:
kevanatkins wrote:

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't touch Logic with a 20 ft pole. It makes me feel icky.

Thanks for the long reply. Those are my feeling for certain versions of the modern Cubase. I usually dislike those "USB key" software which "treats you like a thief" though I'm running an original version and use Hatari to run Creator and the O.G. Cubase under Linux emulation.

Yeah those license key things are evil. But I can't talk, I still use Pro Tools in my work as a recording engineer.

June 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Great textures

June 17, 2016 2:22 pm

The break just after halfway is hypnotic.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up