Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Jai Cafarella's music / Flight of the 'I Have No Idea What I'm Doing'

Flight of the 'I Have No Idea What I'm Doing'

By Jai Cafarella on January 12, 2020 1:58 am

This track is just some riffage I wrote to get the ball rolling, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything on it's own, but the process of breaking through the crippling procrastination to record anything at all, and also attempting to complete it in a timely manner, is far more significant. So I guess the track itself kinda shares that same significance vicariously...? *shrug*


My creed for this challenge is "perfect doesn't exist", because I have let the mindset of "It won't be perfect, so why bother?" overrun my mind for far too long!


This is my first track for both WeeklyBeats and Presonus Studio One, so it's pretty safe and simple, but I'm hoping to improve as I go. I don't have a style plan as yet, but expect a mix of riffy rock tunes, acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, and maybe a little electronica. I'm glad to be a part of this personal challenge we're each taking on, all the best to us!


Big thanks to fellow WeeklyBeater Nyarlos for a quick master, and also for introducing me to WeeklyBeats, along with Ryan!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
January 13, 2020 1:01 am

This track meets 350% of my required daily riff requirements, well done.

You will grow so much as a musician and a composer by doing this, it is such a rewarding experience. Go Jai!!

P.S. This track is legitimately excellent in every way just keep up the good work man.

January 13, 2020 1:01 am

Much love broseph, Glad to help, me and RyRy are always here when you need. A good rocking start to the Beats, here's to many more. We can collab on some sick trap beats later in the year.

January 13, 2020 2:51 am

Hell yeah, very cool.  I'm with you on the "perfect doesn't exist" mentality.  I spent like the whole year last year on a 4 song EP, so I'm using this as motivation to finish some tunes in a timely manner.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

January 13, 2020 11:08 pm

Cutting corners is really just a shortcut to success anyway. It's more important to have something sooner than to sit on it for a long time, and I find WB really pushes one to at least finish something along with all the satisfaction that comes with it.

January 22, 2020 12:34 am
Ryan wrote:

This track meets 350% of my required daily riff requirements, well done.

You will grow so much as a musician and a composer by doing this, it is such a rewarding experience. Go Jai!!

P.S. This track is legitimately excellent in every way just keep up the good work man.

Does that mean you overdosed on riffage? My apologies... =oP

Much appreciation for the encouragement, you sound wizard, you!


Nyarlos wrote:

Much love broseph, Glad to help, me and RyRy are always here when you need. A good rocking start to the Beats, here's to many more. We can collab on some sick trap beats later in the year.

Much thank, I will likely need a little help here and there from both of you as I go, but hopefully I can also help you at some stage =o) *googles trap beats* uhh, suure, let's do that... =oP


Chrisfoo wrote:

Hell yeah, very cool.  I'm with you on the "perfect doesn't exist" mentality.  I spent like the whole year last year on a 4 song EP, so I'm using this as motivation to finish some tunes in a timely manner.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

At least you attempted an EP, I usually spend a year talking myself into attempting a demo, finally get around to it, spend a day on it, upload it to Soundcloud, then spend another year trying to talk myself into doing another. That's the bad habit I'm trying to break with Weekly Beats, so far so good =o) All the best to you on your efforts too!


Devieus wrote:

Cutting corners is really just a shortcut to success anyway. It's more important to have something sooner than to sit on it for a long time, and I find WB really pushes one to at least finish something along with all the satisfaction that comes with it.

Very true, this is giving me the push I was missing.  I usually can't stand deadlines, but when it's for something I know I can do when I put my mind to it, having a deadline is less scary. It helps that my two work colleagues are also doing it (Ryan & Nyarlos), so that's also helping to keep me on track, and yeah, the satisfaction alone is worth it =o)

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up