Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

52broken31

By hent03 on August 2, 2020 3:02 am

I had a lot of ideas that I scrapped this week, and I would have scrapped this one too but time, etc. While I was making this I imagined it as a backing track for an amateur hiphop group; there's a strong bass line and some melodic/percussive variation, but nothing changes so much you couldn't freestyle over the top of it all. I had a lot of fun playing around this week, but ugh... I really could not wrangle everything together the way I wanted. /end rant

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
August 3, 2020 12:11 am

I love the bass line. It's got attitude! The percussion is tight. There are some cool melodies in the bell line. I wonder how the track would have changed if you used the same melodies from the bells and used another sound.
I think it'll be indeed a case of you realizing it's actually pretty nice when you listen to it in a few weeks. smile

August 3, 2020 12:45 am

I'm digging the lo-fi feel and it's got a nice little groove to it for sure.

August 3, 2020 12:50 am

The subdued nature of it kind of fits the style of the interlude scenes in Hotline Miami. In that game there's normally loud pulsing synthwave during the combat levels and then chill groovy music like this during the story sections in between levels. Like, it's a good tone setter.

August 3, 2020 5:34 am

I can definitely see this as both a hip hop and ambient piece. I like the subdued melodies and beat, nice work!

August 3, 2020 4:16 pm

Haha. Yes time. I understand. It is chill but can still be used as a beattrack. What genre/style do you lean towards when making music? Is it hip hop?

August 3, 2020 7:49 pm

August 3, 2020 7:51 pm

this is cool. only wish it was a bit louder

August 7, 2020 10:20 am

Yo, this feels real nice.

August 7, 2020 1:31 pm

I agree this could double as an ambient or hip hop oriented track.  Or even an interlude between other aggressive tracks.  Nice work!

August 7, 2020 4:17 pm

Lovely, will never get tired of this pure relaxing sound heart

August 8, 2020 10:25 am

this is pleasantly chilling and has a good groove. The bellsounds are nice and work well with the beat and bassline. Kind of lofi-retro-homemade, what I like very much.

August 9, 2020 5:00 am
Kedbreak136 wrote:

I love the bass line. It's got attitude! The percussion is tight. There are some cool melodies in the bell line. I wonder how the track would have changed if you used the same melodies from the bells and used another sound.
I think it'll be indeed a case of you realizing it's actually pretty nice when you listen to it in a few weeks. smile


Thanks for the words of encouragement, Kedbreak! I think the melodies are probably the weakest part because ideally I'd want to arrange them to fit the lyrics, but the vocalists are imaginary and don't actually exist...

CosmicCairns wrote:

I'm digging the lo-fi feel and it's got a nice little groove to it for sure.


Thank you! I tend to lean towards the lo-fi stuff on the OP-1.

ViridianLoom wrote:

The subdued nature of it kind of fits the style of the interlude scenes in Hotline Miami. In that game there's normally loud pulsing synthwave during the combat levels and then chill groovy music like this during the story sections in between levels. Like, it's a good tone setter.


I haven't played Hotline Miami but I always wanted to. Thanks for the kind words! Do you think it's still worth playing now?

Mission Crossing wrote:

I can definitely see this as both a hip hop and ambient piece. I like the subdued melodies and beat, nice work!


Thanks!

Anon_Buster wrote:

Haha. Yes time. I understand. It is chill but can still be used as a beattrack. What genre/style do you lean towards when making music? Is it hip hop?


This is a good question, because I've never really thought about it before. On the guitar it's definitely folk stuff, but for synthesizers I think I'm still trying to work that out. At the moment, the music I enjoy making the most is a blend of hip-hop drums with ambient-influenced melodies. Thanks for asking though, I really feel like I should put more time into thinking about it. smile

Ipaghost wrote:


Thanks!

zirafa wrote:

this is cool. only wish it was a bit louder


Yeah I'm sorry about the volume. I have quite a bit of trouble when it comes to volume levels whenever I make something on the OP-1. What sounds good through my headphones doesn't translate, and I'm not sure exactly why.

Devieus wrote:

Yo, this feels real nice.


Thanks!

Tone Matrix wrote:

I agree this could double as an ambient or hip hop oriented track.  Or even an interlude between other aggressive tracks.  Nice work!


Thanks for listening, man. I like the idea of using it as an interlude, so I may come back to that at some time and shorten it.

hieme wrote:

Lovely, will never get tired of this pure relaxing sound <3


Thank you for the kind words!

Q-Rosh wrote:

this is pleasantly chilling and has a good groove. The bellsounds are nice and work well with the beat and bassline. Kind of lofi-retro-homemade, what I like very much.


I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It's kind of slap-dash and pretty messy, but sometimes I feel like that's what this is all about.

August 9, 2020 9:41 pm

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up