Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Prom Night

By Gab Manette on February 23, 2020 7:23 pm


(Still from John Hughes' 1986 movie, Pretty in Pink)

This one includes a few things I've been wanting to try:

- Write a ballad, something fit for a slow dance
- Use a DX7 style E Piano in a track
- Use the Korg M1's Ana Bass and abuse the sliding pitch bends

It was fun to compose but I had a tough time finalizing the mix, I kept going back to tweak minute things. I think it was worth it though? It's hard to tell when to stop sometimes.

Fun fact: As mentioned above, Pretty in Pink came out in 86. 86 is also the bpm for this track!

EDIT: This is a bit embarrassing, I just realized that one of the drum tracks was accidentally muted -_- It's nothing major but if you'd like to listen to the corrected track I've uploaded it here!

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
February 24, 2020 12:14 am

Oh my god those intro chords. Goodness gracious me, you've won over my heart for sure! Beautiful! heart

February 24, 2020 12:37 am

I can totally picture the high school gym with the lights dimmed while this song plays.  Nice change of pace.

February 24, 2020 12:57 am

Really nostalgic tune.  Totally on par with the vibe you were going for!

February 24, 2020 1:07 am

Encore très cool. J'aime beaucoup ta bass. very smooth! Je te pognerais bien une fesse et te licherais le cou en dansant la dessus. smile

February 24, 2020 1:13 am

I love it when those drums come in. Is that gated reverb I hear?

February 24, 2020 1:25 am

Good Jorb

February 24, 2020 1:39 am

Lovely composition, nice to hear the sweet and gentle style back again. The mix is pretty well balanced, sounds great!

February 24, 2020 2:15 am

February 24, 2020 2:19 am

Belle petite vibe heart

February 24, 2020 3:12 am

Dude this is perfect, so prom.  Do you come up with the titles or the music first on your songs?   

Love the key change at the end too, that got me so jazzed up.

February 24, 2020 4:05 am
Mortistar wrote:

Oh my god those intro chords. Goodness gracious me, you've won over my heart for sure! Beautiful! <3

heart Thank you so much!

CosmicCairns wrote:

I can totally picture the high school gym with the lights dimmed while this song plays.  Nice change of pace.

Thanks! I think it's awesome if you get that image too, that's pretty much what I had in my head while composing!

Reilly Farrell wrote:

Really nostalgic tune.  Totally on par with the vibe you were going for!

djippy wrote:

Encore très cool. J'aime beaucoup ta bass. very smooth! Je te pognerais bien une fesse et te licherais le cou en dansant la dessus. smile

Ah ben la! Viens-tu danser un beau grand slow collé? hehehe

Mission Crossing wrote:

I love it when those drums come in. Is that gated reverb I hear?

Gated reverb for life!! Thank you, I wasn't sure at first if I was going to bring the kick/snare into the mix but I just decided to make them wait a bit longer than usual this time smile

hieme wrote:

Lovely composition, nice to hear the sweet and gentle style back again. The mix is pretty well balanced, sounds great!

Thank you! Feels good to slow down a bit

Procyon Lotor wrote:

Good Jorb

??? wrote:


Belle petite vibe <3

Merci les gars! heart

Chrisfoo wrote:

Dude this is perfect, so prom.  Do you come up with the titles or the music first on your songs?   

Love the key change at the end too, that got me so jazzed up.

Aah thanks man! Glad you liked that key change, I honestly couldn't resist doing that! Music first, title is usually the last thing that gets done! I have a bit of an idea where I'm heading when I start but it's more like images and feelings in my head than a definite title or plan, if that makes sense! smile

February 24, 2020 4:06 am
Reilly Farrell wrote:

Really nostalgic tune.  Totally on par with the vibe you were going for!

Thank you! I did wax nostalgic quite a bit while working on this!

February 24, 2020 5:04 am

Montreal vaporwave big_smile

February 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Yeah this is definitely an 80's slow dance song.  Love it.  Nice work on this, you nailed it.

February 24, 2020 6:07 pm

A damn good composition with some damn good instrument choices. The Pretty in Pink still is perfect for this, haha!

February 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Big hair, unsure prom date, punch bowls, this song comes on and everything turns out a-ok.

February 24, 2020 7:52 pm

aaaaand key change. Stop pulling my heart strings, damnit!

February 24, 2020 7:58 pm


And by sleeves I mean track!

February 24, 2020 9:16 pm
Pheek wrote:

Montreal vaporwave big_smile

J'avoue qu'avec le bpm all the way down pis la beurré de reverb c'est presque vaporeux! D'ailleurs j'aimerais ça faire une ou deux tracks de vaporwave au courant de l'année! A suivre smile

coreytrev0r wrote:

Yeah this is definitely an 80's slow dance song.  Love it.  Nice work on this, you nailed it.

Cheers!! heart

mikememo wrote:

A damn good composition with some damn good instrument choices. The Pretty in Pink still is perfect for this, haha!

Many thanks! I spent quite a bit of time selecting the instruments and trying things. There was a bit of D-50 Pizzagogo in there at some point. It had to gogo (pardon the pun) but I'm sure I'll find a place for it in another compo big_smile

Jokinen wrote:

Big hair, unsure prom date, punch bowls, this song comes on and everything turns out a-ok.
aaaaand key change. Stop pulling my heart strings, damnit!

I'm sorry! I had to put the key change, had to! I figured it would fit right in with all the nostalgic feelings wink

Ipaghost wrote:


And by sleeves I mean track!

Why thank you! heart I was googling for an appropriate gif response, didn't think I would find the best prom dress in the galaxy, but behold:

February 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Sounds incredible.  Can't imagine what the missing drum track would add but I love how sparse the drum arrangement is.  That one clave sunk back in the mix taking a reverb bath is to die for! Elements of your production remind me of the Human League's "Crash" album.  Not a favorite, but the production was impeccable and super polished. Great title as well! Fits the vibe and nostalgia and I I could definitely see this as the sound track for an 80s teen movie.  The Korg M1 patches sounds are really full. Great work!

February 24, 2020 11:24 pm
NWSPR wrote:

Sounds incredible.  Can't imagine what the missing drum track would add but I love how sparse the drum arrangement is.  That one clave sunk back in the mix taking a reverb bath is to die for! Elements of your production remind me of the Human League's "Crash" album.  Not a favorite, but the production was impeccable and super polished. Great title as well! Fits the vibe and nostalgia and I I could definitely see this as the sound track for an 80s teen movie.  The Korg M1 patches sounds are really full. Great work!

Thank you so much! I needed to give Crash a re-listen cause it's been a while; the separation/mixing is indeed phenomenal! I'll definitely try to take cues from them, and to be even remotely compared to that level of production is humbling, so big thanks again! smile

I'm not sure which version you listened to but I uploaded the fixed one in the description, the only real change is that the original upload is missing a generously reverberated TR707 rimshot throughout the first 2/3 of the track. Alternately if the link in the description is not popping up I'll paste it here, if you fancy a relisten! wink
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15s70MQggDBJ93WVaMtX0prM6vrYLCnZh

February 25, 2020 4:49 am

I wish I could download your brain. You clearly know so much about synths and sound design, arrangement, composition and everything. It's pretty remarkable. Keep it up Gab.

February 25, 2020 3:31 pm
ngineer wrote:

I wish I could download your brain. You clearly know so much about synths and sound design, arrangement, composition and everything. It's pretty remarkable. Keep it up Gab.

heart You are giving me the warm fuzzies, thank you so much! I can't copy my brain but I can tell you that the best trick I've found regarding synths is to get out there and figure out the exact synths in the songs you like and to not stop until you have it at your fingertips.

Let's say you really like the synths in Enya's stuff. A quick google and you'll find she's used the Roland Juno 60 and the D50 a lot. From there if you're not familiar with those, you can research what these synths sound like and how they work. If you find that it's the D50 that makes you tick, you go and find out if you can recreate its sound without having an actual D50. It might be available as an official VST, a very close clone, samples, etc. Then once you have that sound you were looking for, compare it to the source and check if there was added delay/reverb/other effects, how it's played in the track, is it modulated or fixed, is it played staccato, etc etc. At this point you've learned a crapload of stuff AND you have a sound that you've been excited about, now available for you to create with. Anyways sorry for the wall of text but that's pretty much how I operate!

February 25, 2020 3:55 pm

love it!

February 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Great info and something ill start doing!! Thanks!

February 26, 2020 4:08 am

A sweet sweet melody lifts the us prom goers up with just enough tasty percussion to sway, and touch puffy sleeves, to. Fun change of pace indeed. We don't know what the future has in store ... but tonight we'll sway on the gym floor. Cool reply about finding the synths you like, good advice. Fun fact, I met my now wife at a party at my house we called "punk rock prom". Had streams and balloons and a band play called the All Girl Summer Fun Band. The only song I remember now was called Charm Bracelet. Good times.

February 26, 2020 3:34 pm

xD. This made me smile right away. It's so on point. Hammer + nail.

February 28, 2020 2:40 am

Can picture this at the end of a movie, right as the two lovebirds get together and dance as the credits roll. smile

February 28, 2020 12:11 pm

Perfect mission! You nailed the feeling, even known to a scandinavian thanks for the endless 80´s movies that were shown here as well smile I am not sure if this really needs those drums you muted, we all can hear them in our minds smile Very impressive, again...

February 29, 2020 3:32 pm

It's so sweet. I agree the missing drum wasn't huge, but it did provide a bit of power to it.

March 1, 2020 3:54 pm
kaedo sevaada wrote:

love it!

heart

ngineer wrote:

Great info and something ill start doing!! Thanks!

Most welcome! Let me know what you discover! big_smile

miraclemiles wrote:

A sweet sweet melody lifts the us prom goers up with just enough tasty percussion to sway, and touch puffy sleeves, to. Fun change of pace indeed. We don't know what the future has in store ... but tonight we'll sway on the gym floor. Cool reply about finding the synths you like, good advice. Fun fact, I met my now wife at a party at my house we called "punk rock prom". Had streams and balloons and a band play called the All Girl Summer Fun Band. The only song I remember now was called Charm Bracelet. Good times.

What a lovely story! Good times indeed, those are memories to be cherished smile

Anon_Buster wrote:

xD. This made me smile right away. It's so on point. Hammer + nail.

Thank you! I'm a carpenter today hehehehe

hent03 wrote:

Can picture this at the end of a movie, right as the two lovebirds get together and dance as the credits roll. smile

Yay, thank you! That's what I was aiming for smile

Ashen Simian wrote:

Perfect mission! You nailed the feeling, even known to a scandinavian thanks for the endless 80´s movies that were shown here as well smile I am not sure if this really needs those drums you muted, we all can hear them in our minds smile Very impressive, again...

Thank you so much! Here too, prom isn't as huge of a thing as it is in the states. I have the same source as you for that feeling hehehehe, actually never been to prom!

Devieus wrote:

It's so sweet. I agree the missing drum wasn't huge, but it did provide a bit of power to it.

Thanks! It would probably have been fine without it in the end but it was bugging me big_smile

March 3, 2020 9:45 am

I can't believe this is the first track you have used a dx7 sound. Suits your music perfectly.

March 5, 2020 3:10 pm

I'm a sucker for 80s nostalgia, especially anything specifically from 1986.  I was 8 years old but sooo many memories of movies, tv, sports etc then.  Those opening chords instantly transported me back.  I agree with everyone, it evokes instant-prom scene with that DX7.  Bravo!

March 8, 2020 9:17 am

This is the sounds of Cyndi Lauper's tears... in the rain... falling on puddles... reflecting moonlight!!! Perfection

March 8, 2020 2:39 pm
Ryan wrote:

I can't believe this is the first track you have used a dx7 sound. Suits your music perfectly.

Thank you! I've been meaning to get the DX7 in a track, it'll be back before long I think big_smile

Tone Matrix wrote:

I'm a sucker for 80s nostalgia, especially anything specifically from 1986.  I was 8 years old but sooo many memories of movies, tv, sports etc then.  Those opening chords instantly transported me back.  I agree with everyone, it evokes instant-prom scene with that DX7.  Bravo!

heart thank you very much! I'm really happy that I could transport you back for a song big_smile

Podling wrote:

This is the sounds of Cyndi Lauper's tears... in the rain... falling on puddles... reflecting moonlight!!! Perfection

Ah, that's such a cool image! thank you!

March 16, 2020 12:01 pm

I've just listened the Google Drive version with period-perfect drum fills. You Sir really nailed the sound of the eighties!

March 18, 2020 7:39 pm

This is so good. you bring back the spirit of the 80ies. thank you.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up