New York City

I noticed files get renamed instead of keeping the name you use when you upload it. It's a bit weird since a bunch of us are posting tracks of different projects and using the username as artists name doesn't work well, specially when the ID3 tag has the correct information. Can this be changed or is it going to be a pain in the ass?

Geneva, NY

I've been sticking "by dotdummy" to the titles of non-bleo tracks.

New York City

Hmm I didn't notice that.
I didn't want to mess up the conventions... seemed to me only the title was allowed so this is what I did, but the files uploaded have proper filenames and ID3 tags. Maybe I should just stick the artist name at the title too. The file would still have my username attached at the front which is weird.

Hey Akira smile
At this point, it's probably going to be a pain in the ass. Maybe go with the username on the file and/or in the tags for now, and when there is work done on the site maybe it's something that can be looked into further

AU

I didn't actually realize the ID3 tags stayed intact.  Last week I didn't even put an ID3 tag on the tune!  (I thought it was auto gen)  Thanks for the heads up.

New York City

Yeah ID3 tags are kept intact and is what I am using so the downloader can rename the file properly. I guess I'll add artist name on the title too from now on.

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (April 17, 2012 1:49 pm)

Los Angeles

No, we have to change the file names, end of story. You can thank inconsistency, lack of standard, and users choosing really bad file names for that.

New York City

But the result of changing filenames is even more inconsistency, for example in my case or Bleo's.
I don't understand why is it that they need to be changed, though. What does it matter?

Last edited by akira (April 11, 2012 3:48 pm)

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

But the result of changing filenames is even more inconsistency, for example in my case or Bleo's.
I don't understand why is it that they need to be changed, though. What does it matter?

Seriously? It matters because people upload files called "Untitled.mp3" just because you are picky about naming your files consistently does not mean the rest of the world does as well. It matters to me because on the server end, it's nice to know what files belong to what, furthermore it matters because of things like the podcast feed to iTunes / readers.

New York City

Damn, chill. I'm asking, because I really would not understand a need. Now that you explained it it makes sense specially on the feed and server side issues.
But if it is about consistency it's still giving out wrong data specially since the ID3 tags could say different things.
It all makes more sense regarding your server-side issues which I am of course unaware of and are best to be managed in whichever way you seem convenient.

Los Angeles

Sorry if I'm sounding dickish, forgot to add the happyfaces and winks. wink smile

New York City

No, I just thought I stressed you out, which I don't want.
From now on my filenames will be full of illegal characters and gibberish.

xD

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

No, I just thought I stressed you out, which I don't want.
From now on my filenames will be full of illegal characters and gibberish.

xD

I just cannot think of a elegant solution at this time.

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (April 13, 2012 4:28 pm)

ID3 tags wink

They're the tags that are imbedded within an MP3 with data about the song - like the title etc.