St Louis

I remember there used to be some freeware programs that allowed you to record in the background what is happening on your computer. I always found this useful for doing performance on the computer.

Chicago

what OS? audio hijack is good on OSX

Killeen, TX, USA

Audacity is a good free program to do what you want.

Adelaide, Australia

I think he means system processes and stuff?
Or I could be just reading it wrong.

Saskatchewan, Canada

audacity is great and free. anything that will listen for your "stereo mix" would do the job

Geneva, NY

wavosaur is okayish but is super lightweight (600k) and runs off an external drive (flash, sd) just fine

St Louis

didn't know audacity could do that... how to set it up?

St Louis

thanks for the wavosaur suggestion! needed something to use vsts as processors.

Simi Valley, CA

For Audacity, you go to the dropdown menu next to the microphone icon and select stereo mix. Be sure that you also go to the Preferences menu and make sure that you don't have Software Playthrough checked, or you'll get terrible feedback.

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (April 15, 2012 2:21 pm)

The stereo mix option might not be there on some soundcards, though.

This may also be useful: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/ho … ord-audio/

Last edited by zebra (April 6, 2012 4:49 pm)

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (April 15, 2012 2:21 pm)

St Louis

yeah, I think it was a certain sound card that i had that could do that. It seems can't do it on this computer which is a laptop

St Louis

thanks zebra and poppi will try that

AU

All else fails you can just jack into an external recorder.  I have to do that with my guitar effects program which doesn't allow VST integration.  A bit annoying having to pull a mem card out but the interface it came with doesn't have a stereo mix looback.

St Louis

yep, that's what I do I just jack into my tascam, was just being lazy I guess. sometimes the ability to record whatever is going on is nice though. my soundcard can't do that though, maybe I should get a tower, but then again I'm pretty much just going to use laptops from now on in all likelihood.