NSW

So, I'm fairly certain that it's against Copyright Rules & Regulations to remix another artist's song without having first obtained their (and/or their publishing company's) express written permission. Subsequently, I'd like to know how the WB's Admins. are going to address the fact that a number of recent uploads were remixes..assuming we still have (rigorous) Admins., that is.

If the [current anarchic] state of Weekly Beats is no longer of concern, any poster/contributor who has an issue with my having started this thread in the first place can (in the words of an anarchist), can get f8cked. smile

Thunder Bay ON, Canada

dont be a baby.

Geneva, NY

Have you tried reporting those songs?

I think we need an admin in the Eastern Time Zone. I'll volunteer.

Adelaide, Australia

I used clips from Mass Effect 3 in my latest, but I felt they were obscure enough that it wouldn't be too much of an issue.
You're talking about remixes, but it's somewhat relevant given it's technically still copyrighted material.
Though I seriously doubt EA or Bioware is going to lay any sort of claim to it. :<

Utah

I don't really understand this site's conservative copyright stance in the first place. It seems a creative project like Weekly Beats should always err on the side creative freedom when dealing with copyright, but the policy as it stands is needlessly limiting.

New York City

You mean like this one?
http://weeklybeats.com/#/pwr/music/we-c … -pwr-remix

NekoTheory: if I understand the rules correctly, no uncleared samples from commercial work are permitted, so your track is going against the rules.

FL

http://weeklybeats.com/#/forums/topic/5 … something/

Phil harmonic actually states in this thread that the original poster (PWR) may remix any of his tracks from weekly beats. Is that not written permission? Furthermore, It is very likely that Phil_harmonic actually cut those specific vocal clips and gave them to PWR for that purpose.

Geneva, NY

I think akira was being sarcastic

FL

Ah, I think you're right. Sorry bout that.

We try really hard to listen to all the tracks. Personally, I have had no internet at home for the last week and haven't been able to get through the number of tracks that I usually do.
Sometimes we have to rely on people reporting tracks because unfortunately, a lot of people don't read the rules.
If you report tracks that breach the FAQs it will not only make our lives easier, but save the site from potential legal trouble down the track.

SF/CA/USA

adelaide

Poppi, would you like to link to a number of these recent tracks that you believe to be violating copyright in some form?

I'm sure that you realise it can be a busy time of year for all involved, and seeing as the admin team has limited resources of time, it would be quite helpful if you could provide more information about these issues - either in this thread or in private.

Thanks.

Melbourne

I have uploaded two remixes over the past weeks these are official remixes made with permission...

even though the copyright stance of this site may be limiting.. you always have the option hosting it elsewhere and linking to the external track (the issue is with this site not wanting to host copyrighted material)

dot.AY - Exactly right. That's what cTrix did this week and that was fine.

NSW
bleo wrote:

Have you tried reporting those songs? I think we need an admin in the Eastern Time Zone. I'll volunteer.

No, and I don't intend to. I'm neither a snitch nor a baby (at least, the last time I checked), I do however, think there is a time and place for rules, particularly when it comes to protecting the creators of this site from potential future legal issues. Respect /*

I also think it's up to those who choose to violate the rules to own up and, like DA has suggested, host the track elsewhere.

Last, I should say that most of my reasons for starting this thread in the first place have since been addressed via a couple of responses – thank you for clarifying.

Bleo, I think it would be great if you could be an Admin. : ) I also wish to pose the question of whether or not you might be in a position to take over from T80 and/or Lazerbeat if they're too busy to at this point to regularly attend to the site...

Last edited by popsicle (March 30, 2012 1:16 am)

Thunder Bay ON, Canada

youre a baby for saying that anyone who tries to contradict you can go "get fucked". how immature.