I'll try and do better next week on that

thanks for the comment.. was exactly the kind of thing i was looking for wink

The future
george bowles wrote:

I'll try and do better next week on that

also.. i posted a super dark master of the track for you wink

Stockholm
Phil Harmonic wrote:

im pissed that i havent gotten very many comments.. i want constructive criticism! even if you hate someone's track.. if you listened to it.. comment on it!

Gotta bump this whinge. Commented myself for an old week last night, can't stand to see that 0. I'm a sad, sad person in many ways smile

NSW

Having been grossly insulted on the WeeklyBeats forum by several contributors towards the beginning of the year for apparent promotion of "exclusivity" and WeeklyBeats as a competition (because some people don't take the time to read onscreen text properly), I am somewhat chagrined by recent development, via the stats, namely – "team XX" and more recently "team.38". I have devoted a serious amount of hours to this project and it has never always been about myself...because I don't believe in submitting "duds" or half-assed participation in any group-based project I choose to involve myself with.

I'm content to exist on the "outside" of the circle but don't need to be reminded of it every time I log into the WBs forum. Please bear in mind that your "teams" serve to undermine the impetus for others, such as myself, to continue on with the project.

Stockholm

Poppi i was actually thinking of presenting more stats that might work to counteract the team xx issue. Eg. Stats per user, total weeks submitted and so on. In my opinion team xx people deserve recognition for getting the stuff out there, but so does everyone else who've been producing stuff week in, week out. Such as yourself. The project will be too small, nichey and uninteresting without the whole 200+ participants. Anyway if only had time to sit down and code a bit the world would be a much better place...!

The future
Poppi wrote:

Having been grossly insulted on the WeeklyBeats forum by several contributors towards the beginning of the year for apparent promotion of "exclusivity" and WeeklyBeats as a competition (because some people don't take the time to read onscreen text properly), I am somewhat chagrined by recent development, via the stats, namely – "team XX" and more recently "team.38". I have devoted a serious amount of hours to this project and it has never always been about myself...because I don't believe in submitting "duds" or half-assed participation in any group-based project I choose to involve myself with.

I'm content to exist on the "outside" of the circle but don't need to be reminded of it every time I log into the WBs forum. Please bear in mind that your "teams" serve to undermine the impetus for others, such as myself, to continue on with the project.

come on, Poppi, what's the point of taking everything so seriously? Do you enjoy being miserable? Yes, we have some comradery based on the fact that some of us have stuck it out for the full 27 weeks thus far. Yes.. we make duds here. We arent getting paid to do this.. most of us arent doing this because it's our profession. We're doing it for fun, exercise, exploration and comradery. Maybe dud means something different to you than it does to me and probably the rest of us. To me, a dud is something that fails to meet its full potential. It dosnt make it terrible or wrong or any less valid as an exercise. Many of us do not have the time to realize our weeklybeats to their fullest potential, but the fact that we do the best we can with the time that we have is awesome, in my opinion. They are still duds though. You are included here.. I dont think anyone has said. .oh poppi .. she's not pulling her weight around here.. wtf.. so please.. calm yourself, continue being part of our family here, and try not to take it too seriously. Getting worked up about this stuff is not worth it and is probably counter-productive.

NSW

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black, Phil. How insanely predictable.

Going back to the kitchen now where I belong.

St Louis

to be clear, when I submit something I don't believe it's a dud. I put my work into it. in retrospect, I am able to identify a few "duds" though. but maybe the duds are not that bad; milk duds are one of the more delicious things in life. also, what I was getting at earlier is that a dud is entirely subjective.

NSW
sinewave wrote:

Poppi i was actually thinking of presenting more stats that might work to counteract the team xx issue. Eg. Stats per user, total weeks submitted and so on. In my opinion team xx people deserve recognition for getting the stuff out there, but so does everyone else who've been producing stuff week in, week out. Such as yourself. The project will be too small, nichey and uninteresting without the whole 200+ participants. Anyway if only had time to sit down and code a bit the world would be a much better place...!

I love stats (I love maths) and I appreciate yours and others efforts in producing this information. My "beef" was never with the statistician, so sorry, if it appeared that way.

NSW
george bowles wrote:

milk duds are one of the more delicious things in life.

..or Hershey's caramel. We have those now in specialty stores/aisles (of supermarkets).

Stockholm
Poppi wrote:
sinewave wrote:

I love stats (I love maths) and I appreciate yours and others efforts in producing this information. My "beef" was never with the statistician, so sorry, if it appeared that way.

It's cool, i just meant you had a point. Off cruising around on a bike holiday - more stats on my triumphant return smile

The future
sinewave wrote:
Poppi wrote:

It's cool, i just meant you had a point. Off cruising around on a bike holiday - more stats on my triumphant return smile

AU
Phil Harmonic wrote:

Yes, we have some comradery based on the fact that some of us have stuck it out for the full 27 weeks thus far. Yes.. we make duds here. We arent getting paid to do this.. most of us arent doing this because it's our profession. We're doing it for fun, exercise, exploration and comradery.

SO back to talking of #firstworldwhinges - I'm totally uninspired right now.  Having picked up a guitar and realizing that I suck.  And I was way better 10 years ago :-(  I can't even play a simple f**king chord progression anymore without 100 takes!  It's almost midnight Sunday and I have nothing laid down.  So I have a choice to quit right now (yeah, right) or just drink a load of vodka so I can't drive home, not give a fuck, and lay down something super sloppy.  I really wanted to make something of this week but I don't know what the hell I'm doing right now.

It's stupid because I have a friend who's working weekends at a music school and they offered me the keys to the main grand piano rooms - so I had my choice between two Steinway's and four Yamaha grands today but instead I slept in, then went on a walk (wasn't feeling myself), then met up with friends at a cafe, then sat on the internet even though we're shaped to 64kbps,  and by then it was too late to take up on the offer.  And I had the car packed with sound module, studio XY mics and everything!!

Anyway.  That's my first world whinge.  I have no idea WTF I'm about to make.  But if I pull an all nighter I'm an idiot (seeing a 9am start at work tomorrow).  These kind of WB moments really suck.  Although I should be grateful that we get until 9am Monday morning in AU to finish out tracks... and appreciate all these opportunities I keep getting.  Yet waste.  Ahg fuck it.  </firstworldwhinge>

NSW

It was a good weekend for j8cking off, the sun was out on more than a couple of occasions. I did six loads of washing.

Sounds like a case of 'post-Blip Blues.' May I refer you back to your profile page for additional support: http://weeklybeats.com/#/ctrix

In any event, my own mantra in such instances (of which there have been several), goes something along the lines of: 61-seconds of something will suffice.

AU
Poppi wrote:

In any event, my own mantra in such instances (of which there have been several), goes something along the lines of: 61-seconds of something will suffice.

Thanks Poppi.  Yeah, I'm at two minutes of "something will suffice"!  Just seem to be forcing myself to make something very unnatural for my mood tonight.  My friend (who's here at work mixing a TV show in the next room) just handed me his Korg Triton (legend!) so shits about to get crazy!  Gonner destroy this wankey tune even more-so with bell trees and synth strings.  Bring it on!  (maybe this will be a first world win after all)

Last edited by cTrix (July 15, 2012 3:42 pm)