Adelaide, South Australia

So, I was going to just post something say that I discovered that 'Tabletop' is currently $0.99 on the iTunes App store and I picked it up to muck about with and it's totally worth a dollar, even with the in-app purchases, but figured it might be fun to see what other iOS apps people are using, since there's no way to filter out the 'pro' music apps on the store and I've probably missed a whole bunch of useful ones >.<

Anyhow,

I use Garageband quite a bit, which is significantly more robust than I'd initially anticipated. I've used it to record a bunch of demos in the past, including this (http://thealastair.tumblr.com/post/1230 … king-heads) which is hands down my favourite track of that period.

I have FL Studio, but haven't really sunk the time in to figuring it out yet, which is a bit odd I'll admit, since FL Studio is my DAW of choice...

Tabletop, as I mentioned, is pretty rad and my week 6 track will be using it.

The others I have are KORG's DM-1, Alchemy, DXi FM Synth, and I have cascadr to muck about with.

My iTunes wishlist has KORG's iKaossilator, iELECTRIBE and iMS-20, ReBirth, djay (why not, really?), Soundboard, ThumbJam, Additive Synth, Animoog, SynthX, Filtatron, and iSequence HD.

A friend of mine uses Lemur as a remote MIDI control, and it seemed pretty rad, but it strikes me as more useful in a live setting and, at $51.99, I'm not really going to buy it just to muck about.

So, anyone else have any I've missed that are worth checking out?

Simi Valley, CA

Have you looked into SunVox?

adelaide

Seconded SunVox. Also, Nanoloop is quite fun and can bring out some stark, simple and beautiful sounds.

The Wisconsin

I don't own an iPad/Touch/Phone, but I went to an apple store and probably spent half an hour on Garage Band. It was pretty cool, at least I think.

Helsinki, Finland

Nanoloop, iMaschine and Nanostudio (having 0% to do with Nanoloop!) are the ones I've used most. iMaschine is actually pretty cool, interface/logic is pretty much like in MPC + synth (sample based, but you can use your own) possibilities. Nanoloop is nice, especially if you use it as sampler. Nanostudio is kinda shitty but I can use my Akai Synthstation keyboard with it and I can export midi from it, so as a travelling "notebook" its pretty damn useful.

Oh, and Filtatron is really cool.

Synthstation:

Last edited by Dkstr (February 3, 2012 8:11 am)

Wow.. How can you guys stand the sunvox interface on iOS? I haven't tried on an iPad but on iPhone I can barely make a phrase . . I'm sure it rocks for playback of stuff you've made on your PC though!

The future

If I made a sequencer for iOS.. would anyone buy it?

Helsinki, Finland
Phil Harmonic wrote:

If I made a sequencer for iOS.. would anyone buy it?

If it exports midi, has multiple tracks and arpeggiator + some other midi tools, why not. UI should also be easy to zoom in / zoom out. Step sequencer + piano interface + pads. Check iMaschine and make better version of it and I'm first in line to buy it;)

The future

well. thing is. ive been working on a cross platform sequencer app.. I dont currently own an iOS device. but have contemplated getting one and making a sequencer for it. I am more compelled towards android. but im not sure it has the right market share and I have heard that the audio is laggy

adelaide

Make a good MIDI sequencer for the iPhone. I will purchase it.

The future

ive been thinking about what kind of interfaces would work well with a tablet. im thinking that a piano roll might not be the best interface for a touch screen device.. and certainly not a tracker style thing.. i have always thought it would be cool to be able to sequence chords as well as notes. but thats just me..

Helsinki, Finland

Numerology on iOS..drool.

OC california

I'm using Caustic for android the demo is everything minus the ability to save and export. it exports midi ogg and wav. for only 7.99. I know the the thread says iOS but Its worth mentioning.

Adelaide, South Australia

Since posting on this, I've unearthed a few others. 'Aurora Sound Studio HD', 'DopplerPad', 'SynthStation', and 'Epic Synth' are all my wishlist now, and I've picked up...

'Sample Lab' a sampler with some nice features not present in most other sampling inclusive platforms

'Gruvtron' is a fun sampler with nice, easy, controls

'Instand Drummer' are a series of easy, cheap, and a little silly beat makers

'VOX 3000 Lite' is a speech synth, which may see some play in future...

'Equaliser' is one of three, I think, specific effect programs

'Twisted Wave' is a nice, simple, and robust wave form recorder and editor (trimming samples recorded in other apps suddenly became a LOT easier)

Each of those uses the 'AudioCopy' system, which allows for file moving between programs, which I am VERY happy about finding out about (call me slow on the uptake, I only found out about it by accident).

Ireland / Yorkshire

I used nanoloop iOS for last week's pseudo juke track, I rather like it aside from it being limited in terms of the amount of instruments you can use (1 per sequence per track).

Beatmaker 2 has been a great sketchpad and I love it's overall functionality, but I'd like a synth, and teh effects are not to brilliantly implemented.... switch to nanostudio on occasion, but I find the available audio copy/paste fucntions to be awkward.

iMaschine has a nice interface but is very limited in terms of sounds and editing (non for the latter), though i do like transfering to Maschine itself.

JR hexatone is a really fun quasi-random drum sequencer, check it out.

May throw up a list of interesting apps tomorrow as I've been really into this for a while.

The future

I used the new version of fingerlab's DM1 on my track this week wink It is awesome