Melbourne, Australia
lysdexic wrote:

In case people stumble into my tracks and get confused (or annoyed) at what I'm attempting.

I'm a producer who's been comfortable (but really unsatisfied) producing in linear DAWs for over 10 years. I've been really interested in throwing myself in the deep end with generative music and taking away a lot of the tools I use in a DAW to edit and finesse rough ideas that emerge from jams.

My objective this year is to get better at designing generative systems that don't rely on edits to self assemble into compositions. My main focus is typically sound and instrument design - i'm eager to develop better methods for compositions to emerge out of these focused systems.

I'm really interested in getting better at making "noise music" in some ways more so than traditional music.

That sounds like the very opposite of confusing and annoying. Believe it or not, there is a small (but seemingly growing) set of people who are primarily interested in non-popular forms of music.

melb.aust
fc wrote:
lysdexic wrote:

In case people stumble into my tracks and get confused (or annoyed) at what I'm attempting.

I'm a producer who's been comfortable (but really unsatisfied) producing in linear DAWs for over 10 years. I've been really interested in throwing myself in the deep end with generative music and taking away a lot of the tools I use in a DAW to edit and finesse rough ideas that emerge from jams.

My objective this year is to get better at designing generative systems that don't rely on edits to self assemble into compositions. My main focus is typically sound and instrument design - i'm eager to develop better methods for compositions to emerge out of these focused systems.

I'm really interested in getting better at making "noise music" in some ways more so than traditional music.

That sounds like the very opposite of confusing and annoying. Believe it or not, there is a small (but seemingly growing) set of people who are primarily interested in non-popular forms of music.

awesome! great to hear smile

Melbourne, Australia

Yeah....nah, none of these intentions happened.

There's still time right?

Hows everyone going @Thread?

Melbourne, Australia

Not too bad I'd say. I've learnt a bunch and do a bunch. I am massively losing motivation now but it's the last quarter so... yay.

Montreal
Aday wrote:

Yes, plenty of time to do loads of stuff before 2020 ends.

It is going pretty awesome for me to be honest. This is weird, but doing this gives me a relation to time that I usually never had (half year milestone, week to week progress into the year, etc...). Many decent tracks did get out of the project and since I almost never play with my friends this year, "having to" compose a little something every week helps me putting some time on something I really enjoy.

I have the goal to complete all weeks, I really think it will be done (I cannot be sure yet). Many people here have been super supportive, everybody are friendly. Very happy I am part of Weekly 2020.

However one of the goal was to release an album with the band in 2020 and I really don't think it will happen... sad meh, next year.

Last edited by djippy (October 18, 2020 1:17 am)

Wisconsin, USA
Aday wrote:

Yeah, basically nothing happened but:

1: I'm still making music

2: If anything, I'm realizing how important art is during the worst of times.

heart

Madrid, Spain
Aday wrote:

I somehow managed to only miss two weeks in one of the busiest years ever in my adult life. Looking back, there are some sweet ideas there, thought I'm afraid it will be another year without my grandiose "Best of" album on Bandcamp wink

Very happy to hear from the Weekly family every week, specially since I've been mostly absent from the comments. You guys are great!!!

Melbourne, Australia
laguna wrote:
Aday wrote:

I somehow managed to only miss two weeks in one of the busiest years ever in my adult life. Looking back, there are some sweet ideas there, thought I'm afraid it will be another year without my grandiose "Best of" album on Bandcamp wink

Very happy to hear from the Weekly family every week, specially since I've been mostly absent from the comments. You guys are great!!!

Being an adult sucks. tongue

Berlin
orangedrink wrote:

- learn Ozone for mastering

so, how did that work outfor you?

Cincinnati, Ohio
spry wrote:

The past few years I have given myself an additional challenge on top of the weekly upload and this year I am going to choose something different to challenge myself with.

In the past I have done the song within an hour, streamlined the workflow to a single session and this year I want to bring back some of what I had to let go of to make those songs so quickly.

This year I will be using at least one recorded audio element in each song! I'm hoping to ween myself off these midi instruments a bit :-X

I suppose I actually did accomplish this. Neat.

I used my MS2000 for most of the tracks but I did end up branching out a bit with my sound source. Over the course of the year in addition to my synth I used live guitar, melodica, tambura, rhythm samples, field recording and my own voice. I believe I included some audio sourced element in every track this year and I learned quite a bit about incorporating audio into my workflow. I'm not nearly as intimidated by using and cleaning up audio sources as I used to be. I'd say mission accomplished smile

Much love to everyone in the WB community! heart I know we don't always have the time to interact and listen to all of each others music but I feel like we share something unique and special here even so heart

Melbourne, Australia
fc wrote:

I'm trepidatious about doing this at all, but we'll see. It would be good to finish.

1. Hardware.
2. Live Coding
3. Weird programming shit I dunno.

Reality:

1. Bang out some shit in Ableton close to the deadline.

I did all three of these, though less of the weird programming than I thought I would. I only banged out a few Ableton-at-the-deadlines I think, and actually I gotta say that with maybe two exceptions, I always had mine complete well before the deadline, which has been nice to know that I can somewhat juggle things.